NEWS Bennett to Broncos: you can all get fucked

Again Bennett has gone off on a tangent talking about the playing talent... whereas Morris was talking about the contracts:

All the garbage being spewed at the moment by the NSWRL is talking about playing talent because that is where Bennett directed the conversation.

Although it must be said that the spine that was left by Bennett was absolute trash except for Milf (Boyd, Milf, Kodi, Macca).

And at the time it was rumored that Bennett wanted Bird over Moses... apparently Lockyer wanted Moses whilst Bennett wanted Bird and reports suggest it got heated.

The 4 person panel seems a bit of a cop out, because Louise is just the money person and her yay or nay would be "do we have $1m in the cap for a broken down bird?"
Louise: "Yes"

Paul White is probably there to make sure no shifty shit happens with the cap, because a salary cap scandal falls at the feet of the CEO (see Melbourne Storm 2010) & probably to make sure it won't be detrimental to the overall image of the club (ie. is the player marketable, what role will the player have (future captain, etc.), etc.) so they know what the narrative will be moving forward.

Lockyer is likely the only person other than the coach providing football advice and would be representing an independent voice to the coach... otherwise it's the coach talking to Louise and a CEO saying "Glasby is a fucking must have for our forward pack... pay the man whatever he wants and get him here yesterday!!"

The role of Nolan is to get deals done (ie. "Bird's manager wants $4m and a 4 year deal with a player option")... if there's only a 4 person panel and 4 of those seats are taken up by Louise, White, Lockyer and the coach, then there doesn't seem to be a seat for Nolan on the r&r musical chairs.

And looking at that panel you would think who the coach wants outweighs the other factors... I doubt Louise has any opinion on whether to go with Bird or Moses.

Lockyer and Bennett had opinions on Moses or Bird, so White was likely the swing vote and sided with the coach at the time, because the coach has to deal with the fucking player 95% of the time... you don't just fill the team with a bunch of players the coach doesn't or can't work with

I'd imagine in most cases White would be siding with the coach in tie breakers unless there is a specific reason it can't be done (salary cap, etc.)

Nolan is head of recruitment, the guys like Edwards report to him about players. Football wise Nolan is one of the most powerful at the Broncos.

Who did he really want? You surely can't be talking about Ash Taylor. We signed Bird in April 2017 iirc. We were still chasing Ash Taylor until he Turned us down in the October or November of 2017. Its absolutely clear it wasn't either one or the other, we wanted both.

Bird was never a knee-jerk signing. Wayne had the idea of playing him as a ballplaying lock, which is a role that seems to be taking off again.
Yet he started in the centres, then halfback until he got the Sternum injury.

Stop the arguing. The definitive voice of reason and balance is here.

WB left Seibold with a good team except for perhaps the worst 1, 6, 7 and 9 in the competition and a salary cap situation which hasn't allowed Seibold to remedy that problem.

It wasn't all WBs fault. I don't think anyone foresaw Boyd's dramatic deterioration though outside of the so-called committee and Boyd's wife, I don't think anyone was in favor of a 4 year deal! Likewise, no one foresaw Milford turning into a dud even though I know some eyebrows were raised when news of his 1mil a year deal was announced.

Having said all that, Seibold should have done better with what he has. And WB had best worry about Souffs who aren't exactly setting the world in fire.

Yet he started in the centres, then halfback until he got the Sternum injury.

Because he was injured. They wouldn't put him at lock until his injury healed properly and he got his fitness up. Don't forget he didnt pick up that sternum injury here, he came with it.

I have huge concerns with some of his recent decisions sure,, but honestly, being summed up as an ex-bartender, that'll do me...
I don't know why the bartender thing keeps coming up. I knew several bartending university students. And a few bouncers. I think Nashy was one them. Mostly all skull and no brain but Nashy was one of the exceptions.

If he is head of recruitment, he hasn't done a bad job. Apart from not being able to find a decent 1, 7 or 9 in the last 4 or 5 years.

Did he have a say in Walters not getting the job? I'm just wondering why all the old boys are seemingly so hostile to him.

Morris is only saying this in public to take heat off pies.

Wayne is right, seibold knew who was in the squad when he applied for the job. Paul white said last year we aren’t a rebuilding team. Now grimace has shit the bed, Morris is trying to deflect the blame onto the bloke who should still be our coach.
If you truly believe seibolds pitch to get the job was to tear the joint apart I can’t help you.
And yet again you are referring to the fucking playing talent... of course Seibold (from the outside looking in) saw the squad and thought yep I can work with this (which coach wouldn't).... do you think in the interview that he had books in front of him and there was a detailed discussion on the salary cap situation moving forward??

No... he wasn't an employee at that stage and had no right to check the books of the club. Likely the only conversation about the roster was the Broncos saying we have a number of young players coming through which we think is the core group moving forward... do you have any issues with bringing through this group of players and transition the roster?

In regards to Morris deflecting he has only mentioned contracts inherited... has he said Bennett is a senile old fool that has put us in this position??

You could probably take a look at posts from last week and there will be nothing about the whole squad being shit from Bennett to Seibold (in fact most users on here want us to retain pretty much everyone)... it has only been the last few days when NSWRL has decided to push Bennett's words to suggest that the club have said the talent that Seibold inherited was shit and the 2-3 years is all about moving on shit players. When in fact the 2-3 years is all about seeing out the shit contracts

Paul White's response to the rebuilding was in response to Ikin who on 360 stated that the Broncos aren't a rebuilding club... as if he knew what the inner workings of the club actually were and pretending like he gives a shit about the Broncos (which he doesn't and was previously on the board of the cowboys). So Paul White comes out and says we are always looking at the top 4.

There's no definition of what a rebuild actually is anyway so White can come out and say we aren't rebuilding and it doesn't fucking mean anything anyway... White says whatever narrative he wants out in the public so unless you're on the inside you have to look at the actions and interpret what's happening.

They have a number of players who aren't seen in the long term future and a number of juniors which are seen as the future... "youth youth youth"... these have been the words from the club basically since Seibold's first press conference

Whoever was coach last year and this year would be going through the same thing... maybe the turnover isn't as large, but Kodi, Macca, Kahu, Bird, etc. are all still getting moved on despite who's wondering around training

Last edited:
I really don’t see where this whole ball-playing lock thing with Bird has come from and people heralding it’s current return. Manly had a ball-playing lock for a decade in G Stewart and you didn’t hear about it then. Greg Bird at the Titans too if you want genuine playmakers-turned-locks.

Let’s look at the current locks:

Carrigan - No
Finucane - No
Yeo - No (centre experience)
Williams - No (you could argue Graham is that guy, who was a half)
Ese’Ese/Glasby - No/No
Radley - kinda?
Horsburgh/Tapine - No/No
Blair/Tofu - No
Lolo - No
Arrow - No
Brown - No
Elliott - No
Merrin - not really and not the player he was
Twal - No
Murray - kinda
Jurbo - Yes, as far as relative to the rest of the comp.

you can say well Bird could’ve been the revelation the game needed, and even it was effective, then great. but I honestly just never saw it becoming a comp-wide thing again

Last edited:
I don't think anyone foresaw Boyd's dramatic deterioration though outside of the so-called committee and Boyd's wife, I don't think anyone was in favor of a 4 year deal! Likewise, no one foresaw Milford turning into a dud even though I know some eyebrows were raised when news of his 1mil a year deal was announced.

There is a reason these two players, along with the rest of the team, have fallen off a cliff.

There is a reason these two players, along with the rest of the team, have fallen off a cliff.
No doubt. And whatever that reason is, it goes back to at least 2018, probably earlier. My memory isn't that great. i.e. as early as if not earlier than they both signed long-term, big money contract extensions.

Can't blame Seibold for that but he should have done better with what he has. To put it in perspective, last year was as good as the year before. If the players really wanted WB to stay at the end of 2018, they chose a strange way to demonstrate it.

Last year was in no shape or form as good as the year before.

As far as I can recall, it was when Milf allegedly turned down Locky's offer of help. This is when I first had an inkling that our current players were not interested in our culture or the legacy our past players had installed at the club.

If this was true he should have been nailed up for such heresy. Nail them up ! Nail some sense into them.

As far as I can recall, it was when Milf allegedly turned down Locky's offer of help. This is when I first had an inkling that our current players were not interested in our culture or the legacy our past players had installed at the club.

If this was true he should have been nailed up for such heresy. Nail them up ! Nail some sense into them.
I'm with you on that one. It was positively baffling at the time and with the benefit of hindsight it only looks even worse given Milford's current predicament.

There are kids busting there ass out there who would crawl over broken glass to be personally Coached by Darren Lockyer. Not Milford though.

In fact, for the people trying to shape the narrative that Milford's dire form is all about who is Coaching him, it suggests that in Milford's view Coaching doesn't mean all that much to him.

Last edited:
FFS can we just move on from Bennett? He had his time here with a superior roster and couldn’t get it done. He has also proven to be a liar and is now trying to clear his name. He might claim to be the only coach besides Mary that basically has nothing to do with recruitment but I can guarantee you if this squad turned out to be world beaters it would be all him.

Bennett used to be a great coach and is still ahead of Seibold, but he is declining and is a narcissist and to be completely honest I’m over hearing about the old ****.
He was responding to a supposed clearing of the roster by siebold. A comment made by white suggesting Bennet gave us the current problems.
The point is, look at any roster and there are players on the decline and others that are diamonds in the dust.
Pretending three seasons on, this team's current predicament is due to Bennet flies in the face of logic.
As for bird, people forget he was a perceived long term player for NSW and deem on par, if not superior to the likes of of Holmes and Munster.
Imagine if holbrook lost on the weekend and mal started bring up the coach from 3 years previous.
We need to look at the 17 players, the people that train them and strategies for answers because throwing out excuses such as a bad roster is not only irrelevant but absolutely pathetic.

We all know why Bennett is saying this. Whether it is true or not (and I highly doubt it is all true) it is a ploy to take the heat off his own team that is struggling (with a far better squad mind you).

For example Bennett mentions we have 12 Origin & Test players.

Here they are:

Boyd - retired from Origin & wouldn’t be picked anyway unless there was a massive injury toll.
Milford - 2 Origins. 1 from the bench.
Issako - I reckon some fans would even say, “oh really? he’s played for NZ. WoW!” Hardly a Kiwi mainstay.
Oates - A fringe Origin player at the moment.
Bird- Injured and we’d be in a far better position if he was healthy.
Te’o. Out of the game for 6 years.
Luke - When did he last play for NZ?
Haas- Played 1 Origin.
Fifita - 1 origin series, currently injured.
Glenn - Genuine test player, but for how much longer?
TPJ - Test quality. Spends half the season suspended.

It is a catchy line, but it’s not like in Bennett’s prime when he legitimately had 12 current, experienced and entrenched Origin players.

Have to agree with most of this.
Bottom line is currently our team is a lot better on paper than it is on the field.
The big question is why?

Stop the arguing. The definitive voice of reason and balance is here.

WB left Seibold with a good team except for perhaps the worst 1, 6, 7 and 9 in the competition and a salary cap situation which hasn't allowed Seibold to remedy that problem.

It wasn't all WBs fault. I don't think anyone foresaw Boyd's dramatic deterioration though outside of the so-called committee and Boyd's wife, I don't think anyone was in favor of a 4 year deal! Likewise, no one foresaw Milford turning into a dud even though I know some eyebrows were raised when news of his 1mil a year deal was announced.

Having said all that, Seibold should have done better with what he has. And WB had best worry about Souffs who aren't exactly setting the world in fire.
I'd agree for the most of that except if you look at the 1, 6, 7, 9 and 13, 3 are playing regular first grade, and the other 2 are permanent fixtures in our side. One of them continues in the same role.
Contrary to any perception, there is no reason to play a player on a high contract.
If the coach doesn't have that power, he shouldn't be coach and the people that appointed him shouldn't have their jobs.
There has never been a successful sporting organisation whose coach was micromanaged.
The only say the board should have in a coach's conduct is whether he continues as coach and that decision should happen at season's end. That said if there are irresistible differences between players and coaching staff, that can expedite things. But that is something only club insiders should know.

I really don’t see where this whole ball-playing lock thing with Bird has come from and people heralding it’s current return. Manly had a ball-playing lock for a decade in G Stewart and you didn’t hear about it then.

And Glenn Stewart was just named at lock, he always played on the edge. Watmough was for some reason named on the edge while actually playing in the middle.

It's interesting though that the 3 you've named, two are the best up and comers and the other is probably the 2nd best lock already.

Last edited:
And yet again you are referring to the fucking playing talent... of course Seibold (from the outside looking in) saw the squad and thought yep I can work with this (which coach wouldn't).... do you think in the interview that he had books in front of him and there was a detailed discussion on the salary cap situation moving forward??

No... he wasn't an employee at that stage and had no right to check the books of the club. Likely the only conversation about the roster was the Broncos saying we have a number of young players coming through which we think is the core group moving forward... do you have any issues with bringing through this group of players and transition the roster?

In regards to Morris deflecting he has only mentioned contracts inherited... has he said Bennett is a senile old fool that has put us in this position??

You could probably take a look at posts from last week and there will be nothing about the whole squad being shit from Bennett to Seibold (in fact most users on here want us to retain pretty much everyone)... it has only been the last few days when NSWRL has decided to push Bennett's words to suggest that the club have said the talent that Seibold inherited was shit and the 2-3 years is all about moving on shit players. When in fact the 2-3 years is all about seeing out the shit contracts

Paul White's response to the rebuilding was in response to Ikin who on 360 stated that the Broncos aren't a rebuilding club... as if he knew what the inner workings of the club actually were and pretending like he gives a shit about the Broncos (which he doesn't and was previously on the board of the cowboys). So Paul White comes out and says we are always looking at the top 4.

There's no definition of what a rebuild actually is anyway so White can come out and say we aren't rebuilding and it doesn't fucking mean anything anyway... White says whatever narrative he wants out in the public so unless you're on the inside you have to look at the actions and interpret what's happening.

They have a number of players who aren't seen in the long term future and a number of juniors which are seen as the future... "youth youth youth"... these have been the words from the club basically since Seibold's first press conference

Whoever was coach last year and this year would be going through the same thing... maybe the turnover isn't as large, but Kodi, Macca, Kahu, Bird, etc. are all still getting moved on despite who's wondering around training

Pretty sure Ikin does have an idea, he's the guy on the board of the QRL that is so well run they didn't sack a single one of their 84 staff and didn't have to borrow money through this whole sage or ask for a handouts or miss a beat because they planned ahead.

You could say he's very well up to date how to run an organization and what is happening in Queensland league.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.