Best Back Threes

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Back three of Boyd, Maranta, Kahu - best back three in the comp. Safe as houses.

While i mostly agree with the rest of your analysis, i found this one just too crazy to comprehend.

Sure, boyd is one of the best at his peak, but maranta and kahu could be replaced with nearly any winger from another nrl team IMO.

Tomkins, Vatuvei and Lolohea
RTS, SKD and Tupou (dont rate him, but the other 2 are on fire. i would rate RTS as the best fullback this year easily)
Moylan, Mansour and Simmons (obviously a few injuries there at the moment though)
Brett Morris, Rona and Perrett

would all be above the broncos back 3 for me.

even Tedesco, Richards and Naiqama would give them a run for their money imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a really interesting discussion point so thought it'd be cool to give it the spotlight it deserves.

I agree with Queenslander. When it's all said and done, the Roosters have the best back three in the competition.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is an absolute freak of a player and would be my pick to take out the Dally M Fullback award. In a year where the Roosters have gone backwards a step or two in a lot of departments, he's the player they're turning to and he's getting things done for them.

I think SKD has been very underrated on the wing. He's always had a really good carry in him and they're getting the full effect of that with him on the wing and he's able to finish movements for them. Between the two of them, the Roosters may have the best tackle one and two in the competition.

Tupou is probably the odd man out but here's somebody who's played for his country and his state within the past 12 months. In the air, he's without peer and every now and then he has a freak play in him that can turn big matches. I think he can be a little soft with his carries which can be exploited in certain arenas but he has a few things going for him too.

In saying that, I definitely think the Broncos belong in the conversation and would put them up there with a lot of those teams.

I mean, the Bulldogs? Morris maybe the best winger in the competition but he hasn't done enough in the game to be considered superior to Boyd as a fullback. Rona I'd take in a heart-beat but Perrett can stay in the Bankstown. I'd also have our depth over theirs...and I think they would too given their interest in Vidot.

Best two fully fit back 3's would be -

Tuivasa-Scheck, Kenny-Dowall, Tupou & Moylan, Mansour, Watene-Zelezniak.

Honourable mentions go to Boyd, Maranta, Kahu - Tomkins, Vatuvei, Loloahea - Dugan, Nightingale, Nabuli.

Manly has to still be up there, even though Stewart is really declining and I've always thought Taufua was overrated.
Souffs are up there, Inglis is just amazing. Johnston, while a horrendous fullback, is not too bad on the wing. Definitely better than our wingers. Gray seems not too bad for a rookie. Mostly the Inglis thing though.

I rate Panthers, Roosters and Warriors as the best three.

I'm a little down on the Warriors myself.

On his day, Vatuvei is the best winger in the competition. However, he can also be a liability if you pressure him and we've seen what can happen when teams manage him appropriately. I suppose if you just tossed it up point blank, who would you rather? 9/10 you're going with big Manu but he's bit off an anomaly.

Tomkins hasn't played enough this year and honestly I thought his 2014 was sub-par. He was like the reverse of Hoffman, where he was actually handy inside the opposition 20 but useless everywhere else. I don't think he's done enough this season to change my opinion and he won't ever get an opportunity because of home sickness.

I think throwing Lolohea there is a disservice. He's a versatile player, but he isn't a winger and I think the Warriors have better options in Fissiahi (who's injured) and Fusitua (who's had an indifferent year).

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Manifesto
  • ChewThePhatt
  • heartly87
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • whykickamoocow
  • IceWorks
  • LGH
  • broncotville
  • Fozz
  • Spooky1013
  • cento
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.