Best Crowd Reaction

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Lockyer's final play came up in my feed:

NRL crowds are usually pretty tepid, so it's rare to see them go off like the aforementioned clip. Can anyone think of any examples like that? Have there been bigger 'pops'?

I'd say the most memorable crowd response I was a part of was Kemp's infamous try against the Eels.

One of the rare occassions where the on-field action matches the crowd's heightened expectations. The game had everything and to see Lockyer sum up the situation perfectly after the buzzer was unbelievable.

This was the runner up. I was on the Western Stand when the kick went off so I was completely reliant on the reaction of the Northern stand. As you can see in the clip, they went up, but it was premature so we had no idea if it went over until they went up again even louder. We still weren't sure if it had been given until the fireworks went off and DJ Ortiz started playing in the background. The replay was priceless. It was so good to finally be apart of a close win like that, the Broncos always seemed to lose those close ones around that time.

Last edited:
Dallas Johnson's try in Game III 2009 is up there.

People in the crowd went fucking nuts. Not sure why, it was only the first try.

If Game 3 2006 was in QLD, that would probably be the biggest of the century.

Probably the Cowboys beating us 10-0 in Townsville in 2004 when David Myles scored the only try of the match.

NSW winning their first origin series in all those years was a shit night for QLD, but showed how much the game means to so many people.

Wally getting binned

Rabbits being gifted the game vs bulldogs

Wally getting binned

Rabbits being gifted the game vs bulldogs

Maybe if this became common when the refs fucked up, they might actually do better. Useless assholes.

Maybe not "best", but most universally synchronised. Justin Hodges going down like he'd been sniped, doing his hamstring against the Dragons one season. Just picked up the ball, took one stride and sank to the ground. Everyone, everyone, just stood up and went "that's his season".

Brent Tate scoring for Aus in a long range effort after the buzzer. Crowd was electric.

THAT game in Melbourne in 2015. Even Storm supported stood and applauded that defence after the game.

Game I, 2001. Last game at the old Lang Park. Wayne's team of debutantes and nobodies. Amazing night throughout, but especially when Webb scored, and later when Chris Walker ran away and scored under the posts at the southern end, right in front of where we were in the 'stand'.

I was also at Game III that year, about a kilometre away from where Alfie scored (the very top of the northern stand), but the whole stadium erupted at that moment.

Brent Tate scoring for Aus in a long range effort after the buzzer. Crowd was electric.

Game 6 2006 Tri Nations vs Great Britain.

I have that game. Incredible end to the game.

Ugh, don't remind me. I was at that game and through out the night I had this bit about Tate and how he was going to pull off something spectacular. After 20 odd minutes, it was clear that Australia had this in the bag and were coasting, making for a fairly boring game. Since the crowd was getting unruly in our section, it was decided that we should leave early. As we were making our way to the busses, we could hear a large roar from the crowd and presumed they were just happy the game had ended.

It wasn't until I started receiving a bunch of SMS messages that I realised what I had missed and I've never been able to live it down. The greatest try at Suncorp, scored by my guy and I wasn't there to see it.

The only time I ever left a game early again was during those crappy Bulldogs-Titans double headers.

I went to every Origin at Suncorp for a long time and Matt Bowen’s intercept would be #1 reaction I saw. Cronk’s field goal was close.

Last edited:
SKD putting a beautiful spiral pass onto Boyd's chest in the 2015 prelim caused a pretty awesome reaction.

Oh yeah. That entire game was just a mass of roaring celebration.

Dallas Johnson's try in Game III 2009 is up there.

People in the crowd went fucking nuts. Not sure why, it was only the first try.
The crowd reaction when they showed Justin Poore picking up an unconscious Pricey and dropping him back on his head was quite epic also.
Not gonna lie, I threw my beer cup as far as I could. Which wasn't far, onto the guy 2 rows in front of me lol, but he didn't mind because he threw his too. We all threw our meaningless projectiles that night.

That I was actually at and remember? The 2015 GF qualifier against the Chooks. Me saying to @Porthoz and @Morkel with like 10 to go....

Me: "Lads, we're off to the Grand final!!!"
Port: "Don't chu farking say that 'Arry!!! You'll jinx eet!!"
Morkel: "Nah, I think we're right mate"
Port: "Stop it!!!!"

5mins later....
Me: "Can I say it yet?"
Port: "Hmmmm, ok"

I don't remember the crowd being silent or still that entire match. The whole place was just a mass of people on the edge of their seats.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • bazza
  • LittleDavey
  • Nerd
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • marw
  • Skyblues87
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Brocko
  • Tim K
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.