Best Ever Captains

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
With JT announcing he will step down it had me thinking how I like how he is going out on his terms, similar to Darren Lockyer. I feel like Smith is pushing it a bit. This had me thinking about Smith's career and would i be right in suggesting he has lost the most amount of NRL Grand Finals out of any captain? Lost in 2006, 2008, 2016 and had 2007 and 2009 stripped for salary cap breach. As a mad Darren Lockyer fan, people saying Smith is the best ever captain and things like that really irk me. Lockyer won premierships and origin for QLD often single handedly when no one expected them to win. For the most part Smith has always been in the team which is favoured to win. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but there will only be one Lockyer.

Smith didn't play in 2008.

Cooper Cronk was captain.

He hasn't lost the most GF's out of any captain. He has lost 2. Even in 2006 he wasn't the full time captain. It was being shared around all year.

Brad Fittler lost 3.

Cameron Smith is an outstanding captain. He is right up on par level with Locky.

Norm Provan, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Mal Meninga (for the Raiders), Steve Mortimer etc.

Timeless list

Cameron is a fantastic captain. Imo, he is the most influential Rugby league player of all time. There have been some great players, certainly some better players in terms of natural ability than Smith, but you can be a great player without being a great captain. Smith is both. I honestly think he is the best Origin player of all time now.

There have been some great Captains. Meninga, Locky, Fittler, Lewis and dont forget some of the Brits and Kiwis. Ellery Hanley, Shaun Edwards, Jonathan Davies, Gary Schofield, Stacey Jones, but i still think as a Captain Cam beats them all.

Cameron is a fantastic captain. Imo, he is the most influential Rugby league player of all time. There have been some great players, certainly some better players in terms of natural ability than Smith, but you can be a great player without being a great captain. Smith is both. I honestly think he is the best Origin player of all time now.

There have been some great Captains. Meninga, Locky, Fittler, Lewis and dont forget some of the Brits and Kiwis. Ellery Hanley, Shaun Edwards, Jonathan Davies, Gary Schofield, Stacey Jones, but i still think as a Captain Cam beats them all.
Why is he the best origin player of all time? Basically his whole career he has had an amazing team next to him. I dunno, personally I find it hard to compare him and locky. Locky was the sole play maker basically his entire time at 5/8 with the hookers and half partner changing a fair bit. Smith is good, but I just havent seen him command a team himself like Locky did so often.

Why is he the best origin player of all time? Basically his whole career he has had an amazing team next to him. I dunno, personally I find it hard to compare him and locky. Locky was the sole play maker basically his entire time at 5/8 with the hookers and half partner changing a fair bit. Smith is good, but I just havent seen him command a team himself like Locky did so often.

I think he commands the team all the time. Tbf, we haven't missed a beat with him taking over from Locky at all. Locky was capable of clutch moments to win games, i just think smith in terms of being a captain controls games better. He knows how to slow games down and play the refs when needed to give his players a breather, something i dont think Locky did despite his talent. Very different footballers as Captains.

I think Origin game 3 2015 speaks to Cam's influence as a captain. He and Locky sit comfortably at the top.

Sounds like you don't really understand the game with those comments.

I think Origin game 3 2015 speaks to Cam's influence as a captain. He and Locky sit comfortably at the top.
The only player to having as much influence in Origin as a Captain that would come close to Wally Lewis would be Cam Smith, Wally made Origin, he created the hate, he hated NSW with a passion and lead his team members by example. Cam smith will never have had as much of a personal impact on the Origin Game itself as Wally did, but Cam Smith will go down as one of if not the best Origin Captain QLD has ever had, next to Lewis.
Comparing Lockyer to Smith is dumb, Lockyer was a great player, as is Smith, but Lockyer I would say could not read a match or influence the referees as much as Smith has been able to as Captain. Both great Queenslanders but I am pretty sure if you asked Locky who the best Captain was he would say hands down Cam Smith.

The only player to having as much influence in Origin as a Captain that would come close to Wally Lewis would be Cam Smith, Wally made Origin, he created the hate, he hated NSW with a passion and lead his team members by example. Cam smith will never have had as much of a personal impact on the Origin Game itself as Wally did, but Cam Smith will go down as one of if not the best Origin Captain QLD has ever had, next to Lewis.
Comparing Lockyer to Smith is dumb, Lockyer was a great player, as is Smith, but Lockyer I would say could not read a match or influence the referees as much as Smith has been able to as Captain. Both great Queenslanders but I am pretty sure if you asked Locky who the best Captain was he would say hands down Cam Smith.

Wrong.

Influence the ref? Sure.

Read a match? Locky was king.

Locky didn't need to influence the refs.

He was that brilliant.

Oh please turn it up, Locky could not read a match as well as Smith?
And in case you missed it, when they were both in the team, Locky was captain. Locky was captain in every team he was involved in. I'm sure if you asked him he wouldn't say that.

Locky =GOAT

Locky, the footy god.

Locky =GOAT

Locky, the footy god.
ce6114191b161858436c9b899fb8d00f.jpg

Unless you're playing under them, it's difficult to judge.

Usually forwards don't make the best captains because of the amount of work they have to get through. It's difficult to organise and inspire the team when you're busting your gut making 20 tackles and 8 runs a half.

What stands out about Smith is how calm he is under pressure. He plays the game at his own pace and constantly deceives the opposition with his lacksadasical approach. One second it looks like he's contemplating what he's going to say in the post match press conference, the next he's darting from dummy and setting his big middle forward one on one.

It's like clockwork really and for that alone he gives everyone around him plenty of confidence.

He's one of the best I've seen, the other is Wally.

I've never seen anybody galvanise an entire fanbase like Wally. He truly was and still is royalty in Queensland.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.