Best Football League?

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
why Serie A is my favourite league? its what i grew up with. back then milan, inter, juve, sampdoria, roma, lazio, parma and fiorentina were all credible title challengers. back then, you werent in the games elite if you didnt play serie a (i know, not really true, as players like romario never played serie a, but it was the league of the stars for sure). So while i could only see very limited highlights of barca on world soccer, i could see a whole hour of italian football on sunday mornings. watching players like Baggio, Baresi, Gullit, Van Basten, Matthaus, Batistuta, Zola, Signori etc.

Italians have always played an attractive style of football to me. i like to see the ball moved around, seeing teams keep posession, some may call this boring, but its the way football should be played. whereas the all out attack of england doesnt appeal to me coz it just looks a mess.

in italian football i actually support 2 teams, Juve and Sampdoria, cant choose between them. i was given a sampdoria jersey as a kid even before i fell in love with football and my first football idol was baggio when he played for juve. so ive never been able to split either side. Milan were my most disliked side. but if milan were playing anyone in europe besides Barca or another italian team, id go for Milan.

Im also very knowledgeable about serie a, as i have read a few books on it and like to read about its history.

This is why IMO Italian football is number 1 and why i wont compromise my view on it and besides, Serie a's depth is way better than englands. England has 4 main teams. Italy has 4 main teams. england has man u, chelsea, arsenal and to a lesser extent, liverpool. Italy has Milan, Inter, Juve and to a lesser extent Roma. but then after these teams, in england, theres a big drop in the next tier below which is probably Villa, Everton and Man City. whereas italys next tier isnt as big of a drop and includes lazio, fiorentina, palermo, sampdoria, udinese and napoli.

I will say though that if they played a knockout tournament of all english teams and all italian teams. the semi finals would probably be either all english or 3 english sides and 1 italian.

in terms of leagues i like to watch:

1. Italy
2. Spain
3. Argentina
4. Australia
5. England

pennywisealfie said:
1. Italy
2. Spain
3. Argentina
4. Australia
5. England

Serious? You would rather watch the A-league than the Premier league? [icon_lol1.

IMO there isn't that big a gap between the top 4 in the EPL and the likes of Everton, Villa, Man City and Tottenham (sometimes lol). They all are more than capable of competing with the big 4 but they don't quite have the class to take the title.

Spain by a mile, purely and simply because I love the style of football played on a whole there better than that played in any other major league.

Italy - technically very good but its so SLOW if I could ever fall asleep through a game of football it would be watching 2 Italian teams. Much like the Italian army they seem to have one gear and thats reverse. [icon_lol1.

German - actually one of my favourite leagues to watch as it seems to combine the speed of the English game and the technical ability of Spain/Italian.

English - usually a very fast paced game with plenty of effort (which usually generates excitement) getting better technically all the time (eg Berbatov last weekend - sublime skill).

Spain - dominated by 2 teams which detracts a little from the overall experience but technically very good.

Australia - getting better all the time once it grows a little more it will only get better. The quality of the football is poor but im used to watching Forest so have low expectations anyway! [icon_lol1.

Spain is what i like.

But EPL is the best at the moment because its teams are doing well in the champions league, but its a cycle, Spain will come around soon again.

I'm a new member and I like goats feel free to my email addy : sh-seo@tom.com to all email mailing list you can... I like goats and men.

Thank you.

i dont think norways league is that good hammo, but at least u appreciate a good sport.

pennywisealfie said:
i dont think norways league is that good hammo, but at least u appreciate a good sport.

Nice one penny. [icon_lol1.

Very naieve sounding question obviously.. [eusa_doh

On what stations/networks are we all watching these leagues on? For example Spanish, Italian, German etc.

I'm not referring to that EPL shite.

Silence said:
Very naieve sounding question obviously.. [eusa_doh

On what stations/networks are we all watching these leagues on? For example Spanish, Italian, German etc.

I'm not referring to that EPL shite.

[eusa_naugh

Serie A is on ESPN occasionally, although i think the amount of air time it gets has reduced over the last few years.

La Liga is on ESPN as well fairly regularly.

Bundesliga and the SPL can be found on Setanta i believe.

Thanks Nong. icon_smile

Can anyone confirm/add to this?

serie a coverage has def picked up this yr on espn and theres also a highlight show on setanta every week. liga is on espn quite regularly. and most other leagues these days get mad coverage on setanta, german, dutch, portuguese, scottish etc.

If you can't watch other leagues regularly then how can you make the comparison to come to the conclusion that the Premier league is "shite"? [icon_shru

If you think that the Premier league is "shite" then you're either your average England basher and have a chip on your shoulder about all things English despite how good they are, or you are an idiot.

england arent good at all scotty :P

Scotty said:
If you can't watch other leagues regularly then how can you make the comparison to come to the conclusion that the Premier league is "shite"? [icon_shru

If you think that the Premier league is "shite" then you're either your average England basher and have a chip on your shoulder about all things English despite how good they are, or you are an idiot.

I agree with Pennywise's sentiments. However, I am an idiot. No question about that.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.