Best Qld Origin Side - Your Thoughts

I'm actually surprised most teams, if not all, contain Webcke.

He was one of the greatest props of all time, but when it comes to his rep career in the QLD jersey, it's very debatable whether he belongs in a best of all time side.

Prop is one position where we've had some fucking great props wear the jersey.

He was one of the greatest props of all time, but when it comes to his rep career in the QLD jersey, it's very debatable whether he belongs in a best of all time side.

I agree, at origin level I reckon Petero, Scott and pricey all outshone him.

For me it's purely a bias thing. Webcke is one of my favourite ever players to lace a boot so he's always going to make my best of lists. Hodges too.

If its post 2000, surely Gagai is the first winger picked. You could make a case for him even in the all time side, how many wingers have won POTS before him?

I'll go about this differently.

In order of how I would pick it...

6. Wally Lewis (c)

Easiest selection of the lot, Origin wouldn't have lasted without Wally leading the charge.

5. Dale Shearer

Whether I'd select him or not, Rowdy would be at training first thing and give me no other choice.

9. Cameron Smith

The closest thing Queensland has had to Wally. It was always going to take an amazing talent to usurp Steve Walters at 9, and that came in the form of Smithy.

3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis

I find it difficult to split either, but on their day, they were unstoppable and just had that presence on the field that made them a threat anytime they got the ball.

7. Johnathan Thurston

From the moment he made a try-saver on Luke Rooney to when he stayed on the field with a bung shoulder to pilot a kick over from the sideline, Queensland were always going to play till the 80th with JT on the field.

8. Shane Webcke
10. Petero Civoniceiva

It's really difficult to split the forwards when you have Price, Bella, M. Scott, Dowling, Papalii there as well. However, Bulla had the most caps and was just a steady presence in the middle who could take it and dish it out in spades. I don't think anybody took Rugby League more personally than Webby - all heart and he's the type of player I'd want in the trenches. Good luck settling on their replacements...

1. Billy Slater

THAT try alone brought so many fans into the game and while it's tough to leave Lockyer out, when it came to the fullback role, Billy just always found a way to be a handful. I remember writing on here and telling anyone who'd listen that Boyd should have been the fullback for Game I in 2017. It was either that Christmas or the year after my old man bought me Billy's book to brush up on a real legendary fullback.

11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

I just think when it comes to the Queensland 'style' having a backrow of tough tireless workhorses who left it all on the field was the way to go. It was a real trial by fire for Fatty who got picked over Norm Carr in what was seen as 'Sydney bias' by the BRL faithful. Carr was one of the premier players for Wests and would later lead Souths to victory over a star studded Wynnum Manly side and he'd later help get Queensland back on track. It's a real credit to 'the Fat' that it's been forgotten about and he'd later captain and coach the side down the track.

2. Dane Gagai

Normally I don't like including current players, but Gags is getting to the end of his career and just played out of his skin on the wing for Queensland. It's a tough spot and there's players like Boustead, Ribot, McIndoe, Hancock, Carne, Lote, Dell (much better club but still had moments for Queensland), Tate, Folau, Val etc. but I'll stick with Dane.

Put it altogether

1. Billy Slater
2. Dane Gagai
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Dale Shearer
6. Wally Lewis
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Shane Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

1. Lockyer
2. Gagai
3. Inglis
4. Meninga
5. Slater
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Tallis
12. Carroll
13. Lewis

14. Hunt
15. Thorn
16. Myles
17. Price

Picked on performance, and actually getting blokes in positions they can play, none of the shit naming props/locks on an edge, and 3 halfbacks on the bench etc.

Gagai over Sailor/Lote/Folau was a tough call. Same with Cronk over langer, and Hunt over Berrigan. Hodges not considered due to his debut.

Myles/Price could be replaced by 10+ people, and I'd find it hard to argue.

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Meninga
4. Inglis
5. Shearer
6. Thurston
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Smith
10. Civonicieva
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Lewis
14. Cronk
15. Price
16. Scott
17. Parker

Mostly gone with post-2000s plus a couple who really stood out from my childhood. And also Lewis, who was slightly before my time, because any Qld team without Lewis is simply incorrect.

1. Lockyer
2. Boyd
3. Meninga
4. Inglis
5. Sailor
6. Lewis (c)
7. Langer
8. Beetson
9. C. Smith
10. Webcke
11. Tallis
12. Miles
13. Parker

14. Thurston
15. Civoniceva
16. Scott
17. Thorn

6. Wally Lewis (c)

Easiest selection of the lot, Origin wouldn't have lasted without Wally leading the charge.

5. Dale Shearer

Whether I'd select him or not, Rowdy would be at training first thing and give me no other choice.

9. Cameron Smith

The closest thing Queensland has had to Wally. It was always going to take an amazing talent to usurp Steve Walters at 9, and that came in the form of Smithy.

3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis

I find it difficult to split either, but on their day, they were unstoppable and just had that presence on the field that made them a threat anytime they got the ball.

7. Johnathan Thurston

From the moment he made a try-saver on Luke Rooney to when he stayed on the field with a bung shoulder to pilot a kick over from the sideline, Queensland were always going to play till the 80th with JT on the field.

8. Shane Webcke
10. Petero Civoniceiva

It's really difficult to split the forwards when you have Price, Bella, M. Scott, Dowling, Papalii there as well. However, Bulla had the most caps and was just a steady presence in the middle who could take it and dish it out in spades. I don't think anybody took Rugby League more personally than Webby - all heart and he's the type of player I'd want in the trenches. Good luck settling on their replacements...

1. Billy Slater

THAT try alone brought so many fans into the game and while it's tough to leave Lockyer out, when it came to the fullback role, Billy just always found a way to be a handful. I remember writing on here and telling anyone who'd listen that Boyd should have been the fullback for Game I in 2017. It was either that Christmas or the year after my old man bought me Billy's book to brush up on a real legendary fullback.

11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

I just think when it comes to the Queensland 'style' having a backrow of tough tireless workhorses who left it all on the field was the way to go. It was a real trial by fire for Fatty who got picked over Norm Carr in what was seen as 'Sydney bias' by the BRL faithful. Carr was one of the premier players for Wests and would later lead Souths to victory over a star studded Wynnum Manly side and he'd later help get Queensland back on track. It's a real credit to 'the Fat' that it's been forgotten about and he'd later captain and coach the side down the track.

2. Dane Gagai

Normally I don't like including current players, but Gags is getting to the end of his career and just played out of his skin on the wing for Queensland. It's a tough spot and there's players like Boustead, Ribot, McIndoe, Hancock, Carne, Lote, Dell (much better club but still had moments for Queensland), Tate, Folau, Val etc. but I'll stick with Dane.

Put it altogether

1. Billy Slater
2. Dane Gagai
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Dale Shearer
6. Wally Lewis
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Shane Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

Slater got THAT try with the 5 on his back, just saying.

6. Wally Lewis (c)

5. Dale Shearer

9. Cameron Smith

3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis

7. Johnathan Thurston

8. Shane Webcke
10. Petero Civoniceiva

1. Billy Slater

11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

2. Dane Gagai

Put it altogether

1. Billy Slater
2. Dane Gagai
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Dale Shearer
6. Wally Lewis
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Shane Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner
I normally agree with you, but no Lockyer is not ok. Without his intercept try and leadership in 2006 origin history doesn’t play out the way it did, and I dare say guys like smith slater and Thurston don’t have the meteoric rise they did.

Slater got THAT try with the 5 on his back, just saying.
But we all saw how that series ended for him. His game went up another level at fullback and while it took him years he did eventually surpass Lockyer at 1.
I normally agree with you, but no Lockyer is not ok. Without his intercept try and leadership in 2006 origin history doesn’t play out the way it did, and I dare say guys like smith slater and Thurston don’t have the meteoric rise they did.
It's tough but Lockyer was a five-eighth when that happened and there's no way you could have him over The King.

6. Wally Lewis (c)

5. Dale Shearer

9. Cameron Smith

3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis

7. Johnathan Thurston

8. Shane Webcke
10. Petero Civoniceiva

1. Billy Slater

11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner

2. Dane Gagai

Put it altogether

1. Billy Slater
2. Dane Gagai
3. Mal Meninga
4. Greg Inglis
5. Dale Shearer
6. Wally Lewis
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Shane Webcke
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nate Myles
12. Paul Vautin
13. Bob Lidner
Sad Season 1 GIF by Rick and Morty

I'll bloody ban you.

But we all saw how that series ended for him. His game went up another level at fullback and while it took him years he did eventually surpass Lockyer at 1.

It's tough but Lockyer was a five-eighth when that happened and there's no way you could have him over The King.
Yep so he’s my fullback over slater.

Slater was no doubt an exceptional talent who revolutionised the fullback position and was elite in many facets of the game BUT a lot of his play revolved around supporting and working off opportunities / execution by others... Would Slater have been as electric if he didn't play his entire career with playmakers like Smith, Cronk and Thurston creating space, setting up plays and facilitating opportunities? In my opinion, probably not.

Lockyer was the main man. He was the playmaker and he created opportunities out of nothing in key moments from both fullback and from 5/8. He was also a passionate captain and leader and figurehead for every team he played - from Broncos to Australia. He took poor teams and single handedly elevated everyone around him. Slater was excellent absolutely, but Lockyer is a through and through legend at 2 positions and as a captain.

I understand the sentiment that Lockyer can't be the 6 due to Wally (I'm too young to ever have watched him play), but there is absolutely no justification or realistic way that Slater could be picked over Lockyer at fullback.

An interesting follow up, who of the current crop would be in discussions for best ever side once they are done?

I would suggest the ones on the trajectory currently are Munster, Carrigan, Tino, Grant, Hunt (as a 14) for future all time discussion, not saying of course they would make it in.

Some potentially great kids coming through too but WAY too early of course to throw them in.

What about an all time worst side?
Maybe we should ask Paul Gallen, he should remember and could tell us, provided he has extracted his foot from his mouth yet, and your idea is a good one to follow up down the track. Personally, I don't think we have ever put a bad side on the park, the 1995 series is still my favourite series, we were given no chance by NSW or the media, yet we were successful 3-0, at the time not many household names in the sides, some of them turned out to be though.

Thanks for your response

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.