BHQ's Great Ever State Of Origin Backrowers

Who are the greatest QLD Origin backrowers?

• Kevin CAMPION

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dane CARLAW

• Gary COYNE

• Mick CROCKER

• Chris FLANNERY

• Wally FULLERTON-SMITH

• Trevor GILLMEISTER

• Gary LARSON

• Bob LINDNER

• Billy MOORE

• Travis NORTON

• Darren SMITH

• Gordon TALLIS

• Paul VAUTIN

• Total voters
Emma said:
Agree 100% mick. Him being the captain he was contributed big time to me choosing him. Perhaps he didn't have as many 'big moments' in origin as the others, or the same results, but he never stopped trying and the manner in which he lead those teams was phenomenal.

Interesting how people see different things in different games. I remember thinking Tallis could have tried harder in Origin - sure his passion was there in the lead up to the game and in the dressing room but I just never saw it out on the field. When I think of who put their hand up for Qld when the going got tough in Origin I think of guys like Larson, Fatty, Bella, Moore, Webcke, Price, Petero - these guys would get run and get smacked but keep backing up for more.

As a leader - not many blokes have captained Qld but Tallis would be well down the list when discussing our best leaders I would think. Guys like Wally, Alf, Locky and even Smith have achieved more as leaders than Gordy did.

I couldn't go past Bobby Lindner, Gillmeister and Tallis.

Lindner has been my favourite backrower ever since I saw him play for Wynnum back in the early 80's, absolutely fantastic player. He didn't play his best footy for Illawarra, but he was pretty damn good for Wynnum and excelled for the Maroons.

Tallis played in some ordinary Qld teams, but no matter what the scoreboard read, he gave his absolute best he could in every game. In his prime he was the most destructive ball carrier I have ever seen, and played some really great footy for Qld especially in '98 and game 1 2001.

Gillmeister is pound for pound the toughest bloke to ever lace a boot in Origin footy, perfect tackling technique.

I honestly think Bill Harrigan blunted a lot of what Tallis could have been in Origin. Harrigan seemed to want to be the man who tamed Tallis when you could see that Origin is what Tallis lived for. Gorden was made to feel like he couldn't be Gorden without Harrigan stepping in and peanalising.

Dave said:
As a leader - not many blokes have captained Qld but Tallis would be well down the list when discussing our best leaders I would think. Guys like Wally, Alf, Locky and even Smith have achieved more as leaders than Gordy did.
I absolutely agree that blokes like that are ahead of Gordie as a leader - however that was what got him over the line for me in this particular category. He was my 3rd pick behind Lindner and Gilly, and it was pretty much dead even with Tallis, Larson and Moore for mine and that look like he wanted to kill someone just got Gordie over the line. But only just.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.