BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Inspired by the raging debate in the skim milk thread, I've decided to create this thread to discuss all things related to one's well-being.

You can give people advice and tips or seek advice and tips, share how you're going with your weight loss battle, boast about how much exercise you've done lately, etc. :coxy:

I was planning on doing a 60-80km ride today (depending how I felt), but alas it has been raining non-stop since last night, so I've opted for a game of squash. It's not the rain that really bothers me, I just don't want my bike to get drenched as it's still kinda newish and despite my 'watch internet video and fix ####' skills, I just know something would go awry with my bike if I was to take it out in the rain for a prolonged period!

I used to be a pretty big fan of rain, but ever since I got my #### together and became a bit of an exercise freak, I lament it. :sigh:

Last edited:

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Sweet thread!

I, for one, cannot wait to get back to the gym! Zomg. Need to lose a bit f weight by Christmas cos I'm going to the Philippines. Filos are pretty harsh with fat people. :-P

dukey

NRL Player
Perth, WA
I have to be able to do 9.6 on the beep test, and a 2.4km run in 11 minutes for work, which will be tough because the holiday season has fattened me up like a lil piggy.

dukey

NRL Player
Perth, WA
For work, what kindda job do you have?

Retained firefighter. Got my final interview to go full time coming up in a month or two, so I have to get into shape in order to get on the calendar.

And no, I'm not a ginger, although my facial hair would sometimes disagree.

Bucking Beads

International Captain
The Lounge
I've been walking 6kms 6 days a week and eating better. Not really happy with my results although I have been losing weight. Going to step it up a notch next week.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've been walking 6kms 6 days a week and eating better. Not really happy with my results although I have been losing weight. Going to step it up a notch next week.
That's awesome man. I really want to incooperate some more walking into my lifestyle. 6k's a day would be my ideal along with 3x30 minutes of intense body weight excercise sessions per week.

vertigo

NRL Captain
Lost 5kg after Christmas last year, want to lose another 5kg now. Still feel like I'm carrying extra fat at 76kg 180cm.

Last year I was jogging 5km most nights and some weights stuff at home, lost it in no time. Big part of that was sticking to an easy 'diet' (don't even really eat super healthy) and drinking heaps of water.

The Pearl

BRL Player
Started going to the gym in early November 2011 with the intent on increasing my strength/gaining some mass. Haven't done much physical activity since high school besides touch/volleyball... now I'm 25 :bigcry:

Starting out I was terrible and weak as piss in the initial weeks. But after those first few weeks my body got used to the idea of lifting and now I'm really enjoying it.

One of my main goals starting out was to bench press my body weight (75kgs). It seemed so far away when I first started (could only manage 25-30kg :haha:) Last night I hit the 73kg mark. I know I'm not there yet, but it felt great to go over 70kg and I believe I'll be able to hit 75+ in the next week or 2.

I'm doing a program which some of you may be familiar with called 'Starting Strength'. It focuses on the complex barbell lifts such as squats, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, clean and jerk. It's been great so far.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Started going to the gym in early November 2011 with the intent on increasing my strength/gaining some mass. Haven't done much physical activity since high school besides touch/volleyball... now I'm 25 :bigcry:

Starting out I was terrible and weak as piss in the initial weeks. But after those first few weeks my body got used to the idea of lifting and now I'm really enjoying it.

One of my main goals starting out was to bench press my body weight (75kgs). It seemed so far away when I first started (could only manage 25-30kg :haha:) Last night I hit the 73kg mark. I know I'm not there yet, but it felt great to go over 70kg and I believe I'll be able to hit 75+ in the next week or 2.

I'm doing a program which some of you may be familiar with called 'Starting Strength'. It focuses on the complex barbell lifts such as squats, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, clean and jerk. It's been great so far.
That one I'm familiar with...

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Ah, the Pearl is 25...another oldy.... :shady:

Obviously in my current situation I've let fitness and working out slide. Been so sick and not eating properly means no energy and working out is dangerous. Even though I've lost a significant amount of weight, I have noticed muscle definition has disappeared.
Can't wait til I can eat properly again and get some energy back. Obviously I'll not be allowed to play touch footy or do my rollerblading and body boarding for a while after the twins arrive. REALLY missing my exercise. Scared to think how unfit I'll be when it's time to get back in shape.

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Cyberspace
I refuse to excerise, as I know, whether I am fit or not, I am still going to die one day.

So what is the point of keeping fit.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
I actually only do exercise that I find is fun. Call me crazy, but being fit is actually better than being unfit. Imagine it: Walking up stairs without huffing and puffing.

Also, you look hot when you are fit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter