BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ningnangnong, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Alec

Alec International Rep

Yeah, I'm not a fan of treadmill either, but some people probably can't just manage to go outside until it's really late and you have a 50% chance of getting murdered or something.

But in those cases, I'd be doing some High Intensity Interval Training instead of jogging/walking. Good for some variety too.

2. Browny

Browny State of Origin Captain

Drunk
    HIIT is good but I’ve gone away from it and now prefer long (like around 10km) runs. I dropped over 20kgs from eating less and exercising most days.

Still got on the piss heaps to

soup and Sproj like this.
  3. Sproj

Sproj

I'm loving the impetus this thread is getting. :)

The reasons you guys have said for running and walking is so true, also the reason I love cycling, the freedom and sense of achieving something that it gives is next to nothing.

Emerging research is showing that movement is ironically one of the best things to help get over chronic back pain. Not loaded movement - simple movement.

Regular walking is one of the very best things you can do for back pain.

https://www.spine-health.com/blog/2-reasons-why-walking-good-your-lower-back

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    soup likes this.
  4. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

What are you disagreeing about? You've lost me! I never said anything about a bad diet. So you're completely disagreeing that I'm able to lose a kilo a week by simply increasing my physical activity to an extra half an hour a day ( 15 mins cardio and 15 mins weight as I already stated). I'm really confused as to what you ' completely disagree ' about what I said.

5. Morkel

Morkel

Actually in those cases, it's excellent motivation for some immediate high-intensity sprint burst training.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Thelmus and Alec like this.
  6. soup

soup

Walking is just so damned slow, though! I’ve always cycled/ran for this reason, but alas, I can’t run like I used to due to the impact/jarring. I also can’t stand swimming laps at a pool; slow/boring as ****. The ocean is a whole other story, though. I could swim for days.

I’ll take your point onboard and try and get it happening. Simply walking to the gym and home might be the answer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. Yep, it’s a pain (no pun intended) but it really is the best way to relieve chronic back pain, as it heals and strengthens you’ll be able to increase loadings but til then, slow and steady she goes is the best advice.

FGfrom50 and soup like this.
  8. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

I'm disagreeing with your own words, these ones in particular

This is factually not true.

9. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

Again I'm asking for clarification. Where do I mention bad diet? It seems I'm wasting my time here.

10. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Why would you need to up your exercise by 30mins/1hr a day to lose 1kg a week if you were already on a good diet? It makes little to no sense.

11. Jedhead

Jedhead QCup Player

If you read the original post and applied a modicum of comprehension you would have realised that I have been completely immobilised due to an achillies tendon rupture. The weight gain had nothing to do with a bad diet. So before you make silly pretentious claims to factuality read the F***in post properly. You might find it makes lots of sense. What makes no sense my friend is you going off at me half cocked. I did try to highlight your mistake. There's an old axiom that goes something like ' when digging yourself into a hole, the first rule is to stop digging' I'm just making a friendly suggestion you take stock and take that advice.

12. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

lol why are you so angry

13. You blokes are arguing two different things.

Jed's approach is fine. As long as he burns off whatever excess amount of calories, he's golden.

A proper diet is generally a more effective solution, but Jed wasn't comparing one against the other, just providing his experience. Which is important because there's plenty of ways to skin the cat and everybody is different.

As long as you both get into shape, I don't see the harm.

broncospwn, Jedhead and soup like this.
  14. Yeah look everyone has to do what works for them.

Sure diet is almost everything with weight loss, but my personal experience tells me that's simply not true.

I can lose more weight, and sustain it better if I'm exercising regularly. It's not even about how hard I exercise, just the fact that I'm exercising helps my mental state, which also helps me diet better. Exercise is ridiculously important for weight loss IMO, far more than a simple calories in/out formula would suggest.

ningnangnong and soup like this.
  15. Sproj

Sproj

Of course this is true but depends very much on metabolism as well. The reality is that diet and exercise are BOTH important, there is no way two ways about that.

If someone is trying to maintain the weight they are at, exercise is usually enough without altering diet too much. If you are obese and want to lose weight, exercise will help with that straight away, even without diet changes but this will only get you so far, depending on how obese you are. That said, changing your diet will also help, perhaps even more so if carbs are involved.

However, if you want to be 'fit', 'cut' or compete in something (and actually be competitive), there are no two ways about it, diet and exercise go hand in hand.

broncospwn likes this.
  16. Alec

Alec International Rep

In my experience, you can lose weight without going all out on diet, but only when you are pretty fat or chubby (not skinny fat) and as long as your diet isn't **** completely terrible... but you will hit a wall eventually, especially if you only do jogging or light aerobic activity. For some, the weight where they hit a wall might be enough, for others, you will need to change your diet a bit. It doesn't have to be crazy, just have more veggies, more water, less sugar.

Then you hit another wall, where if you're still not happy, just jogging/cycling isn't going to cut it. But most people should be pretty happy here, it's just if you want to look aesthetic as ****.

Of course, this is from my experience, and back then (about 3 years ago) I was pretty much what you might call Mr Potato Head. People with more muscles would probably have an easier time.

This is all assuming the person's metabolism is average or slow.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Sproj likes this.
  17. Browny

Drunk
    Plantar fasciitis is a bitch.

I’m still running on it as it comes and goes but just annoying

Jason Simmons likes this.
  18. Yep, can take months to heal properly sometimes too...

19. Browny

Drunk
    I’ve had a few days off to rest it. See what happens on Thursday