BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
No probs, next time my man. In the Castle at present. Do you know if there is a shop to hire a bike from?
What suburb you staying in fam?

I don't know for sure if any outright offer them for hire (as in a semi-decent road bike), but it'd worth ringing around.

Drift Bikes
CFN
Omega Cycleworks
Two Wheel Industries
Gateshead Cycles (actually at Warners Bay)
Cheeky Bikes
Hunter Bikeworx
Hadley's

I think that's most places in Newy. One of them would be bound to offer something - I know Drift do a lot of demo days for MTBs, so I reckon try your luck there first. They're a a bunch of good eggs.

Just looked and there's a place I don't know much about in Newy called 'Metro Cycles', who apparently do bike hire. No idea if that'll include road bikes though.

Could also join a Facebook group called 'Newcastle Cycling Forum' and ask, they're a friendly bunch.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I did some meal prep to last me the rest of the year.

Nothing fancy, some steaks, chicken strips, meat balls, veges with each. Salad when I can be bothered.

Cost about $120, I'd say it's about 25 meals. I didn't cheap out on steak though, that would've been $70 or so. If I was budget conscious I'd probably be able to do the same 25 containers for $50.

Even at $10-$15 a day, it's cheaper than a single take out meal really.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain
I did some meal prep to last me the rest of the year.

Nothing fancy, some steaks, chicken strips, meat balls, veges with each. Salad when I can be bothered.

Cost about $120, I'd say it's about 25 meals. I didn't cheap out on steak though, that would've been $70 or so. If I was budget conscious I'd probably be able to do the same 25 containers for $50.

Even at $10-$15 a day, it's cheaper than a single take out meal really.
I'm on my last week of fasting/cal restriction for the year, I'm giving myself a free pass for xmas day and trying to be somewhat sensible but not too restrictive over the xmas break - gotta enjoy life at some point!

It will be nice to not eat chicken and eggs every day lol

All in all, 15kg lost from mid October to now - 91kg to 76.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'm on my last week of fasting/cal restriction for the year, I'm giving myself a free pass for xmas day and trying to be somewhat sensible but not too restrictive over the xmas break - gotta enjoy life at some point!

It will be nice to not eat chicken and eggs every day lol

All in all, 15kg lost from mid October to now - 91kg to 76.
I'm thinking of taking a week or so off myself around Christmas too, nothing too crazy but certainly indulge a bit more. There's definitely room to just enjoy food when you fast, in fact I kind of think it's important, fast/feast rather than fast/barely eat.

Today marks 1 month of water fasting for me, 10KGs down, have added a bit of muscle mass in between (lifts are slightly better), and have set some new PB's in my HIIT cardio.I do document it all, so in 30 days, I've done 18 days of fasting.

Have you found your appetite has reduced after fasting? I'm just not hungry as often, and my portions have definitely decreased.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain
Definitely, but then I used to smack down 500gram steaks and a sack of potatos in one sitting so when you're a reformed glutton, anywhere from there is down.

A little while ago though, before I started this, I started to dislike the sickly full feeling. I used to love it - it was a feeling of utter contentment, but then yeah I got tired of feeling like any sudden burp would cause a regurgitation lol and so I started to lessen the portions by default, so I'm sorta used to eating "less", although it's entirely adequate for my needs.

Alec

International Rep
Earing fast food every day atm, trying to put on mass...actually losing weight lol.

Seriously, I couldn't possibly recommend weight any lifting more if you goal is anything physical related. Your metabolism could shoot up and you'll be burning calories even when you don't want to lol.

Luckily I'm still making progress in lifting heavier. I guess I'm still fairly new to it, only 10 month of being serious or so. Wrist strength is my biggest limiting factor right now, especiqlly deadlifting.

Last edited:

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Been absolutely ripping in (by my standards) this month, and have already beaten my previous yearly best with December still to go.
**** yeah lads, last month I set my new monthly record for kilometres ridden, and then I've just beaten it this month haha.

Over 1000km ahead of my previously yearly best, with a couple more days of riding left in 2018.

Sorry to sound like a boastful twat, just feels good!

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
**** yeah lads, last month I set my new monthly record for kilometres ridden, and then I've just beaten it this month haha.

Over 1000km ahead of my previously yearly best, with a couple more days of riding left in 2018.

Sorry to sound like a boastful twat, just feels good!
I’m the opposite, probably my worst cycling year on record.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Benched my body weight 14 times the other day.
I’m not a gloater but had to tell someone who might care haha. Was pretty happy with that.
I can’t bench my body weight. Does eating your body weight count?

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Can anyone recommend me a relatively inexpensive bike to buy just for cycling up and down a cycling path near my house?

I'm a still big lad, a tick over 120kgs, so it will need to be a sturdy SOB. I just have no clue what I'm looking for.

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
Can anyone recommend me a relatively inexpensive bike to buy just for cycling up and down a cycling path near my house?

I'm a still big lad, a tick over 120kgs, so it will need to be a sturdy SOB. I just have no clue what I'm looking for.
99 bikes generally has a lot of options across price ranges and they'll do a fit so you know what size to get. Have a look in the commuter and recreation section on their website.

Not sure if Reid Cycles has a physical store in Brisbane any more but that's another option. Most bike stores will have something cheap at this time of the year.

Last edited:

FGfrom50

NYC Player

Maybe something like https://www.pushys.com.au/jamis-trail-xr-recreation-bike-2018-charcoal.html

But agree 99 bikes is a good option. They'll let you ride before you buy. 120 shouldn't be an issue for what you want to use the bike for I'd have thought.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
Well i'm happy, and relieved, to report that my daughters tumour wasn't malignant !

Went back for the follow-up with the surgeon yesterday and he was pretty confident he successfully removed all of it and it wont reappear. Ultrasounds every 6 months for the next few years just to be sure, but hey .... sure beats the alternative.

Her spleen and part of her pancreas had to be removed though so a few lifestyle changes will have to be made, have to watch out for infections as they can turn deadly more easily in people that have had a splenectomy.

Anyway, she is back at work today and just happy that she can live a fairly normal life again.

Thanks again for all the good vibes/wishes people :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter