BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Re: BHQ's Health and Exercise Thread

Tuna and yoghurt are fairly ace for protein.

Nestle Diet Peach & Mango yoghurt is quality. Eat it straight out of the tub because I'm heaps cool. :rockon:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I partially disagree with it being as simple as calories in V calories out. In theory it's right and if you can follow it long term in practice it will get results, but in reality I think there's a lot more to it in order to successfully lose weight and maintain it. In practice I believe it's more important to focus on eating healthy foods than to worry about calories. If you're eating healthy the weight will look after itself. IMO calorie counting places too much emphasis on day-to-day or week-to-week outcomes instead of long term improvement and success. Lots of people can get disheartened when they miss their daily or weekly caloric goals and then fall off the bandwagon, i.e "I went over my limit today, this is too hard, why do I bother" then eat junkfood. Also a lot of people use calorie counting as an excuse to eat junk food instead of health being the main concern.

As for 6 V 3... Well right and wrong. If you're on a carb rich diet(most people) then yes, if you're on a fat/protein rich diet, then it doesn't make one iota of difference. Actually it turns out better to eat inconsistently and even have 16-24 hour fasts 1-2 twice a week. Although I would never recommend it on a carb focused diet simply because it will wreck havoc with insulin levels to eat inconsistently.

Splitting your meals up doesn't mean your metabolism works any harder, which seems to be a common misconception that by splitting meals you keep your body "burning". The thermic effect of food is equal regardless of how you slice it, e.g. Your body will burn 100 calories digesting 1kg of steak, splitting it into 500grams by 2 will still have a net thermic effect of 100 calories. Here's a study which proves as much http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2387273

And this is a study showing the effects of eating frequency on a high protein diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363
Overweight and obese men who had 3 meals showed consistently better results than those who had 6 meals in regards to satiety/fullness(calorie intake equal).

What that means in reality...If you find it hard to lose weight because your always hungry then the best thing to do is to replace the cereals(all high carbs) with high protein meals which will keep you fuller for longer.
In addition to that it takes more energy for your body to digest protein than it does to digest carbs.

Last edited:

Coxy

International Captain

Yeah, be careful. Don't overthink it. I think you're looking at answers that suit you best, rather than actual real answers. Seems like you're favouring answers that say exercise isn't a big deal and you can eat lots of meat.

In practice I believe it's more important to focus on eating healthy foods than to worry about calories. If you're eating healthy the weight will look after itself.
This is exactly right, but the result of eating healthy means you will take in LESS calories anyway. So it works out.

The biggest problem that leads to obesity in this country is portion sizes. People eat too much in one sitting. And that comes from the "traditional" 3 meals a day philosophy. By the time you've gone 6 or 7 hours without eating your body is craving a BIG feed. So you eat too much. But your metabolism isn't at peak performance because it slows down after about 3 hours if it has nothing to do.

If you can't eat 6 small meals a day, then make sure you're drinking lots of water in between. Should drink plenty of water anyway, but filling your stomach with water can keep that hunger feeling at bay. Plus one of the main things people do is mistake dehydration for hunger. Instead of having a drink of water they go and eat a snack.

simmo77

QCup Player
GC

Eat what you want and smoke a pack a day...instant weight loss

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Yeah, be careful. Don't overthink it. I think you're looking at answers that suit you best, rather than actual real answers. Seems like you're favouring answers that say exercise isn't a big deal and you can eat lots of meat.

This is exactly right, but the result of eating healthy means you will take in LESS calories anyway. So it works out.

The biggest problem that leads to obesity in this country is portion sizes. People eat too much in one sitting. And that comes from the "traditional" 3 meals a day philosophy. By the time you've gone 6 or 7 hours without eating your body is craving a BIG feed. So you eat too much. But your metabolism isn't at peak performance because it slows down after about 3 hours if it has nothing to do.

If you can't eat 6 small meals a day, then make sure you're drinking lots of water in between. Should drink plenty of water anyway, but filling your stomach with water can keep that hunger feeling at bay. Plus one of the main things people do is mistake dehydration for hunger. Instead of having a drink of water they go and eat a snack.
I eat 1 or twice a day and I don't get any hunger what so ever. I can if I wanted to do skip entire days without eating but I don't. When I was calorie counting, I was ALWAYS starving, which made it impossible to maintain for more than 1-2 months, you can't starve yourself forever.
The problem with calories is when someone has 300 calories left for the day, they might say well I guess I can have some chips, then by the time they've had a few they're hooked and eat the whole packet.

Calorie counting is absolutely useless, it doesn't teach anything about health, discipline or long term success IMO. It might work for people but I'd say it more often than not fails long term. In theory sure it's great but in practice long term successful weight loss is about making healthy habits and lifetime changes. Eating less twisties to fit within your calorie budget isn't the sort of changes that leads to long term success. Eating healthy is more important than eating less.

Yes Coxy, I do eat a lot of meat, for the past 3 months my diet has been about 40% fat, 40% protein, 20% natural carbs(no grains). It's the best diet you can do, the food pyramid is a joke. Our genetics expect us to eat meat, we did not evolve eating grains. Since the start of agriculture human genetics have not even changed 1% yet our diets have completely charged from meat/vege heavy to grains heavy and health and obesity endemic has gone from there. Humans evolved for millions of years on high fat/protein diets with next to no carbs. In fact the body has zero nutritional requirements for carbohydrates. The introduction of vegetable oils, high fructose corn syrup and a sharp rise in sugar consumption in the past 30 years has been the major cause of health issues. Fat was never the cause, eating fat doesn't make you fat or unhealthy. Natural fats of course, not trans fat or hydrogenated fats.

As for exercise, I am starting to do my exercise again. I'm not skipping exercise because I think I don't need it, I'm just simply trying to work up to motivation to make it a consistent part of my life, slowly I'm starting to do that.

Last edited:

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!

Well, I know I lost a heap of weight not through calorie counting so much, but rather having an understanding of how many calories are in what foods, how many carbs, fats, sugars, etc. Before that I literally never looked at the nutritional info for foods... nowadays I'm pretty obsessive!

Combine that with exercise, and weight loss is seriously easy. It's just about staying motivated.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!

Dude, it's outrageous... not outrages. That's like the tenth time. :haha:

Emma

NRL Player

Surely having a diet made up of 40% fat ain't gonna be good for your heart long term???

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Surely having a diet made up of 40% fat ain't gonna be good for your heart long term???
I'm no rocket scientist but that's nearly 50% fat...and that doesn't sound that good.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Um broncopwn, counting calories isn't completely useless, that's a ridiculous thing to say. Counting calories DOES teach you about long term health, because it gets you into the habit of KNOWING your calories. Knowing what's in what, and how many you can have. KNOWING the food you eat is so important, and the baseline for that is knowing the calories. Want to maintain a healthy weight, then you most definitely need to start counting your calories. In due time you won't have to count them, you'll know them off by hear. Counting calories gives you a guideline. While your strange weight loss technique is working, that's fantastic but don't go saying calorie counting is useless because that's just outrages.
Don't get me wrong I believe they have a place, but having a choclate bar as a snack because it's under 100 calories is not the same thing as having a banana with 100 calories.

Calorie counting in my own experience seems to place too much emphasis on the numbers rather than the actual nutrional value of the food which is where I despise it. You eat junk and lose weight, sure, but you're not going to be healthy and be able to maintain it long term on junk calories.

I don't believe "a calorie is a calorie", yes it's useful for lots of people to get an IDEA of approximately how much food they should be eating, but once you've done it for a few weeks then I think it's infinitely more important to start focussing on quality and not so much quantity.

That's my only gripe with calorie counting that people think about numbers and make it too specific when in reality weight loss and health is really simple, it's not rocket science, if you eat right, don't over-eat and do exercise you WILL get healthy and lose weight. Our genes WANT us to be healthy, if you treat your body right you will get the results your after, it's really that simple.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I'm no rocket scientist but that's nearly 50% fat...and that doesn't sound that good.
It's really not an issue. Good fats are extremely important for your diet and are HEALTHY. If you went on a zero fat diet, you would get unhealthy pretty quickly.

Good fats Vs bat fats is where it gets confused.

Good fat = Avocados, meat, nuts, i.e All natural!
Bad fat = Vegetable oils, trans fats, hydrogenated fats and partially hydrogenated fats.
The common theme with the bad fats??? They're ALL unnatural(not found in nature) and are chemically modified!

Bad fats (deep fried Mcdonalds!) is what clogs your arteries and gives you all sort of problems.
Good fats (natural stuff) has so many health benefits in so many ways.

The best example of good fats is Omega-3 found in fish(or fish oil capsules which everyone can benefit from). Omega-3 fat has massive, massive benefits to overall health. The problem is most people have an Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio of 20:1. If you bring that ratio closer to 2:1 or ideally 1:1 your health will be pretty close to optimal. If you exercise as well.

The problem is the introduction of bad fats into the western diet over the last 40 years has caused huge health problems(along with sugar and high fructose corn syrup which coke is loaded with) and in turn it's brought a misconception that all fats are bad when that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you simply cut out all bad fats(don't eat junk food!) as well as minimise sugar consumption as much as you possibly can then your health will skyrocket. If weight loss is an issue then limiting your carbs intake will help in a big way. If you don't lead an active lifestyle then the less carbs you have the better. If you're fit and active then carbs are fine but even then natural carbs like sweet potatoes, vegetables and so on are much better than processed carbs.

It's all about natural eating, if you eat foods which are natural(not chemically modified, not added with 100 ingredients you would struggle to read) then everything else in your body will take care of itself.

Right now I've lost 26kg's and my health is so much better. My doctor wanted me on high blood pressure meds just a few months ago but now it's necessary. It's all been pretty effortless too. Once you get off the junk foods loaded with sugar or the depp fried rubbish then you lose your cravings for them and it becomes so easy to just eat healthy. I don't count calories, I don't count carbs/fats/proteins, I don't worry about how much I eat. The only thing I do is cut out unnatural foods.

My goal is to get in about 3-5 hours a week of walking and 3-4 20-30 minute intense all out exercise sessions. That's my ideal goals and I hope and think that I will eventually get there while losing another 25-30 kg's.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Bear in mind that a diet high on fat can impact on your gall bladder.
I do realise I am on a diet that is against the mainstream view so I am doing regular blood tests(every couple of months) to make sure my health doesn't have any issues. The doctor thinks my diet is good but I definitely need to do more exercise :( I take it as a trial and error approach, right now my health is pretty damn good (touch wood) all things considered. I feel the healthiest I've ever been but I'm still working on my lifestyle to get more improvement.

Mainly I want to commit to sleeping earlier, ideally before 11pm each day and do much more exercise at least 3-5 times a week including walking. I'm considering joining a sport, I'm competitive by nature and I love playing sports, for me that would be the easiest way to get my weekly exercise without getting bored.

How do you get motivated to work out so much? Do you just get used to it? Do you enjoy it? Do you just always vary it to keep interested? Do you stick to a routine or schedule or do you just go with the flow?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter