BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

Coxy

International Captain
I enjoy exercising because I love running with the music in my ear, love hitting the weights and enjoy the change of atmosphere at the gym where I use some cardio equipment. Trick is to mix it up. You need to enjoy exercises. If you enjoy it, it becomes a habit.

Spend time going for walks and clearing your head.

Make sure you spend some nice evening outdoors. Nothing better than a nice walk on a summers night. Seriously, enjoy it or it becomes a chore. Don't let it become a chore.
^^^ this. If you don't enjoy it you won't keep doing it.

Also set yourself challenges. Want to finish that walk 5 minutes quicker. Want to lift an extra 5kg. Little motivators

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Re: BHQ's Health and Exercise Thread

Geez. A diet high in fat and need blood tests every 2 months? Nuts.

Sorry mate, to me what you're doing sounds ridiculously unhealthy and based on bullshit pseudoscience
I don't "need" blood tests every 2 months, but making any major dietary changes it would be a good idea to have blood tests.
TBH I think the mainstream "food pyramid diet" is bullshit pseudoscience. Health has gone massively downhill, obesity has sharply risen since the introduction of the food pyramid in 1974.

In America since the government recommended people cut dietary fat what has happened? Well fat consumption has decreased, by about 30% actually but health and obesity have went the wrong way.

Here's a few interesting links to look at.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz1lhHEvdWC
Plenty of interesting links within there to look at.

A diet high in natural fat is good, the proof is in the pudding. Heard of crossfit? Almost everyone on crossfit is on a high fat diet and they're all lean machines. http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/blog/trainer-profiles.html A link of crossfit trainers are on that page and their achievements on so called "unhealthy high fat diets".

And here is a high profile person on a high fat natural eating diet http://www.eventswithpizazz.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/commando-Steve-Willis-269x300.jpg Does that look like an unhealthy pseudoscience diet?

There's also Mark Sisson, a 57 year old former top 5 in US national marathons, and 4th in the Hawaii Ironman championship in his day. 8% body fat at 57 years old, on a high fat diet.

There's also this guy who went from 40% to 10% body fat on a high fat, all natural food diet http://www.marksdailyapple.com/my-primal-transformation-discovering-the-art-of-fit/#axzz1lhHEvdWC at age 35.

What you're saying Coxy is, eating natural foods, that humans since the beginning of time have always consumed is unhealthy?
No matter which way you slice it, fat is natural and found in high quantities in nature foods. Humans evolved using fat as the primary energy source and we are extremely well adapted to consume it in its natural form.

What particular proof do you have that naturally found fats are bad for you?
On the other hand I can find many, many links that unnatural processed crap regardless of "low fat" are bad for you, and that grains which are recommended by the government to form the bulk of your diet are anti nutrients and have many negative properties which have a negative effect on health.

Coxy

International Captain

The food pyramid is long debunked. It was developed by the grain council FFS.

But nowhere have I seen studies saying we should eat 40% fat or ever have in our evolution.

Carbs/grains aren't evil. A BALANCE is important. Your diet is extremely unbalanced. Your lack of regular eating would be ####ing with your body.

Do me a favour, go see a dietitian. I think they'd refer you to a psychiatrist.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!

People get far too scientific when it comes to being healthy and so forth.

It really is quite simple.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Grains anti-nutrients? That'll do me. Grains are natural foods which humans have been picking off plants for thousands of years, why are they anti-nutrients?
They contain phytates, which reduces the bioavailability of nutrients. Further to that gram for gram, grains don't hold a candle to the nutritional value offered by meat or vegetables. Here's a website which explains it in more detail http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/phytic-acid.html but feel free to do your own research.

Genetically speaking "thousands of years" is minuscule to our existence. Grains were not consumed until agriculture started 10,000 years ago, and in terms of evolution it takes at least 40,000 years for any meaningful genetic change to occur. Humans have not yet genetically adapted well enough to consume grains without suffering ill-effects.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

The food pyramid is long debunked. It was developed by the grain council FFS.

But nowhere have I seen studies saying we should eat 40% fat or ever have in our evolution.

Carbs/grains aren't evil. A BALANCE is important. Your diet is extremely unbalanced. Your lack of regular eating would be ####ing with your body.

Do me a favour, go see a dietitian. I think they'd refer you to a psychiatrist.
I didn't say you should eat 40% fat, perhaps you need to see a psychiatrist because you seem to be hallucinating ;)
To clarify because you obviously missed the point the first time: I eat a diet consisting of only natural foods which leads to a fat consumption of about 40% because fat is abundant in nature and will form the bulk of a diet eating that way.

And if you want to raise evolution as a point then for the 2 million or so years that humans have evolved in grains have been present for 1/200th of that time period and carbs have been scarce, never forming a majority of dietary intake pre-agriculture.

I never at any point said carbs were evil, I did say processed carbs are though, same goes for processed fats. Carb intake is mostly irrelevant to overall health unless you want to lose weight in which case restricting carb intake can have huge weight loss benefits. Carbs != grains.

When you need to resort to personal insults to make a point you're obviously well out of your depth and have nothing meaningful to reply with besides "it's not good cause I said so". When you have any real information to backup any of what you have said so far then what you say will be credible. Saying fat is bad for you just because doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

People get far too scientific when it comes to being healthy and so forth.

It really is quite simple.
Nothing like some good off-season debating :smile:

High fat diet also impacts your testosterone levels. Ever thought of that pwn? Low testosterone can decrease your energy levels and you won't get the best performance out of your workouts with low levels of testosterone. Pretty sure high fat diets can create estrogen too.
Care to share more information on this?

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
These arguments seem almost cult like. It's just food. Eat sensibly if you want to be fit, or eat #### if you want to be like me!

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Isn't broccoli one of the best vegetables to eat?!? I freaking love broccoli!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!

Dousing it in tomato sauce is another option if you're awesome like me.

Bucking Beads

International Captain
The Lounge

How bad is dipping biscuits into milk for your health?? I usually dip my chocolate biscuits into milk and it is absolute delightful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter