BHQ's Health Thread - Discuss food, exercise and anything else health related!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Re: BHQ's Health and Exercise Thread

If you're eating a chocolate biscuit, dipping it in milk isn't going to make much of a difference.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

What an absolute load of crap. Phytates bind some nutrients, you're right. BUT any nutrients lost by the binding mechanisms of phytates can be made up for, provided you eat a proper WELL BALANCED DIET. Phytates don't simply automatically just stop your body from absorbing nutrients, they impact on CERTIAN nutrients that are passes through your body but like I said, if you eat a good well balanced diet, it'll make up for any nutrients lost.

Also, that stupid article recommends that you shouldn't eat Broccoli (yes that's right everyone, Broccoli!) unless it's cooked because it's high in phytates. Haha! That'll do me.

Secondly about carbs. You do realise that fruit is a high source of carbs, right? So in fact carbs HAVE been a big part of our diet for millions of years. So I'm not quite sure what you obsession is.
Yes but eating a diet with more vegetables and meat with less grains increases the nutritional value you get from your diet.
Not really, on the carbs. Fruits are seasonal, where as these days you can have any fruit any time of the year and they're mostly chemically modified to increase the sugar content. So the carb consumption now-a-days is way higher than back in time. It's why our body has no nutritional requirements for carbs because we evolved without ever needing to depend on it.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Seriously, seek professional advice spwn, you're reading bullshit.
Haha if you say so. My doctor knows what diet I follow and for the record, he's on something similar and advised me to continue with it.
Or should I find a doctor that agrees with your opinion Coxy because only then will it be right? haha.

What about this http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/blog/trainer-profiles.html they're all highly qualified people should they all seek professional help? Lolz. See the fitness in 100 words section on the left? Oh noes they're all going to die because they consume high levels of fat.

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Something something dark side
Something something cult

What about this http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/blog/trainer-profiles.html they're all highly qualified people should they all seek professional help? Lolz. See the fitness in 100 words section on the left? Oh noes they're all going to die because they consume high levels of fat.
Nothing quite as reliable as the interwebz...

For the record I really have no idea what you people are all arguing about, but it's somewhat disturbing how vociferously you defend things Spwn.

Dr. Ari suggests you visit the nurses at the heart attack grill for a check up and feed:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

That's bullshit. There are A LOT of health benefits in grains. Lots of nutrition. Therefore even if some of the Phytates holds some of the nutrients from vegetables, you get those nutrients back from the nutrients that are in the grains anyway! So eating less grains doesn't increase the nutritional value of your diet at all. And again, if you eat enough fruit and veges anyway, the loss of nutrients from Phytates in grains won't make a tiny bit of difference to your overall health and well being.

f you ate nothing but grains then you might have a problem which is why everything is moderation is fine.

Fruit chemically modified to increase the sugar content? What? Since when?
Gram for gram meat and vegetables have a higher nutritional value than grains. That's not to say grains don't have any nutritional value but less so than meat or vegetables. I agree everything in moderation is fine, the little things don't matter. Sweeter fruit sells more, so they make fruit sweeter.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Your doctor isn't a dietitian.

And the point Coxy is trying to make is that you read these ridiculous articles that you seem to take as GOSPEL. You should take it all with a grain of salt. Seek opinions from a qualified dietitian. A professional. I'd love to see whether they think Broccoli is bad for you too.....
I don't take anything as Gospel. But Coxy is saying fat is bad for you with absolutely nothing to back it up besides he said so. I'm open minded on these things, I read everything and form an opinion from there. Why should I see a dietician? My health has improved in so many ways, my weight is going down every week and my doctor approves of what I'm doing and is really pleased with my results...I have tried dietician diets before and have failed miserably.

I don't need a dietician to tell me to stop eating natural, unprocessed food as that is what my diet is. If eating natural, unprocessed food is bad for you then nothing is good for you.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Nothing quite as reliable as the interwebz...

For the record I really have no idea what you people are all arguing about, but it's somewhat disturbing how vociferously you defend things Spwn.

Dr. Ari suggests you visit the nurses at the heart attack grill for a check up and feed:

The heart attack grill is on my to-do list.

Bucking Beads

International Captain
The Lounge

It seems like such a radical diet SPWN. Surely a healthy change of lifestyle that you can keep up for a long time is going to be better for you.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

It seems like such a radical diet SPWN. Surely a healthy change of lifestyle that you can keep up for a long time is going to be better for you.
It's not too bad tbh. The only things I have cut out completely is junk food, fast food and bread/pasta. Otherwise I eat anything I want as long as I make it myself. So the only food I eat is home cooked. It's a big adjustment because you got to make time to always cook, but 3 months on now and I'm loving the change so I think I can maintain it long term. Usually I fail most diets by week 4-6 haha.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

What's your point? Every man and their dog knows that veges are more nutritious than grains. But grains are very nutritious (Actually, Chia seeds are pretty awesome and are regarded as a super food btw, and they are grains) and there is absolutely no reason why you should eliminate them from your diet. Have some, no problems. In moderation, no problems. In fact, grains are also good for your bowels.

Everything in moderation, so please don't spill BS about grains being anti-nutrients. They are not. Going by your logic, vegetables are anti-nutrients too. All of them. Want to know why? Too much of certain nutrients can kill off others. Did you know that? This is another reason why they say BALANCED diet. If you just balance everything out, you won't have any nutritional deficiencies

And I'd love to know where you got this information about fruit.

And FTR - Coxy is NOT saying fat is bad for you, he's saying that 40% of fat in your diet is unhealthy. And I tend to agree with him. I know most of it are good fats, but that amount of fat surely can't be good for you. Not for your testosterone levels and certainly not for some of your organs.
Funnily enough you bring up Chia Seeds, guess what's so good about Chia Seeds?

Chia seeds contain 32 to 39 percent oil, and this oil has the highest natural percentage of alpha-linolenic acid or omega 3 – up to 64 percent. The oil also contains omega 6 essential fatty acids, and has an omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of 3:2. Chia seeds are also rich in long-chain triglycerides which help to maintain the proper wall flexibility of the cells and also restore the correct cholesterol to triglycerides ratio. The omega 3 found in chia seeds is converted by the body into DHA and EPA fatty acids – the same kinds that are found in fish oil.

Essential fatty acids are vital in the body, helping muscles to recover after exercise or other physical exertion. They also help to increase the metabolism, thus helping in fat burning and weight loss. Essential fatty acids also play a part in generating the electrical currents that make the heart beat correctly. As well, they govern food absorption, mental health, and the process of oxidation and growth.
They're fully of healthy fats and they contain an excellent Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio which is what I was going on about before. Having an Omega-3/6 ratio of 2:1 or 1:1 will go a long way in gaining optimal health. EPA and DHA and to a much lesser extent, GLA are all extremely important in obtaining a healthy fat ratio.

The meats I eat are grass fed, the eggs I eat are grass fed, the nuts/oils I have are high Omega 3, all of these foods are very high in Omega 3(grain fed meat is high in omega 6 on the other hand...) which is what makes it so nutritious and balanced. http://products.mercola.com/organic-beef/ That website although marketing is very true in what it says about the benefits of grass fed meat. Surprisingly enough grains are very unhealthy for cows and eating meat from cows(or chicken) that haven't fed on a natural diet without grains makes it no where near as healthy or nutritious.

Onto grains - For a start most grain products also contain Gluten, the effects that has on health is very well documented and something most people would do well to avoid. Here's a more detailed study on grain consumption and their anti nutrient and damaging properties such as phytates, lectins, etc. http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Cereal Sword.pdf Skip straight to the conclusion if you wish. Grains should not be a staple of your diet. In moderate quantities sure, but most people have grains form about 50% or more of their diet and that is where the problems begin.

What about other effects grains have? Well the biggest one is they have completely ruined the Omega-3/6 ratio. Consuming a diet where grains are the main food group will likely bring you a Omega-3/6 ratio of 1:20 or worse unless you have lots of seafood. Having high Omega-6(which is pro-inflammatory as opposed to Omega-3 which is anti-inflammatory) levels cause systemic inflammation which greatly increase the chance of cardiovascular disease. They also increase the risk of autoimmune diseases. http://www.jacn.org/content/21/6/495.short there's yet another study which supports that. The proof is the real world, grains have become more and more a major part of our diet along with sugar and harmful hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats, people are eating less vegetables and are exercising far less and the result is cardiovascular and auto immune diseases have sky rocketed even as fat consumption has decreased.

Here's a video from Professor Lutsig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM which explains why low fat is a myth and how sugar has affected obesity(not fat).

Finally here's a table showing the nutrient values of the different food groups. Grains are inferior in every way to all natural animal and plant foods.
Capture1.jpg
And you can't say Vegetables are anti-nutrients, that's completely wrong. Foods found in nature are NATURALLY balanced, eating vegetables as a main part of your diet will give you a fantastic nutrient balance in your diet unless the only the only thing you eat is one vegetable...

schmix

NRL Player

Besides all the controversial "science" behind it, spwn's diet doesn't seem that weird to me. A lot of protein, a lot of veges, and cut down on carbs and processed food. Sounds a lot like 90% of standard diets.

And you can't really argue with the results - he's lost weight and feels a lot better.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff

Besides all the controversial "science" behind it, spwn's diet doesn't seem that weird to me. A lot of protein, a lot of veges, and cut down on carbs and processed food. Sounds a lot like 90% of standard diets.

And you can't really argue with the results - he's lost weight and feels a lot better.
This ^^^^
Bagging the diet just because it doesn't comply with the "current" standard is being short-sighted imo.

Coxy

International Captain

Too much meat, especially red meat, can lead to bowel cancer. Not to mention numerous digestive disorders.

40% fat, whether good or bad fats, is plain bad. None of our ancestors on the plains of Africa ate that much fat!

Let's also remember that our ancestors had a life span of about 30 years... Let's not hold them up as beacons of healthy living!

Fact is, obesity is caused by portion sizes and lack of activity. No more. No less.

vertigo

NRL Captain

I got a free pair of Vibram FiveFingers off a mate last year and just started using them this year, taken a few weeks to get used to as they change the way you run and destroy your calves haha.

Also started strength training again, feels good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter