Bird has to stay for 2021 and beyond

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
All this talk about Bird being chased by the Dragons and them hoping that we'd be willing to pick up a hefty chunk of his salary is quite frankly insane. We all know Bird's history with injuries, but why would we pay around 500K to see him run around against us in the red v's jersey?

We are not desperate to find money as we've already got a huge windfall from Fifita moving on. Added to this the potential 650K if TPJ cannot convince the club not to sack him. Furthermore we will have an even bigger war chest when we lose Darbs, Macca and Kahu.

Birdy owes us at least two outstanding seasons before he returns to Sydney, and if he has had enough of the joint and not willing to repay the faith we have showed in him then he must find a club to take his whole wage bill on. He owes us at least that.

To play for another team while drawing cash from our cap would be such a '**** you' to the club from him that I just don't think he's that type of person. Coates and Bird are two gun centres that any team would kill for as far as I'm concerned.

Hope to god the club puts the 'Not for sale' sign up in huge big neon writing. We need him next year more than ever.

I read somewhere he is going to change managers and that might hinder any plans to sign elsewhere for next season.

I read somewhere he is going to change managers and that might hinder any plans to sign elsewhere for next season.

Sounds awful familiar, although I don't care as much if the player is bullshitting this time

Wouldn’t him signing elsewhere next year mean he’s not taking up his player option and therefore we won’t have to pay him? Seems weird that someone could take up their option and still leave.

To be fair it also seems weird that leaving the club entirely doesn’t negate the entire contract like Kahu. I imagine this club will take the option that ***** us the most.

All this talk about Bird being chased by the Dragons and them hoping that we'd be willing to pick up a hefty chunk of his salary is quite frankly insane. We all know Bird's history with injuries, but why would we pay around 500K to see him run around against us in the red v's jersey?

We are not desperate to find money as we've already got a huge windfall from Fifita moving on. Added to this the potential 650K if TPJ cannot convince the club not to sack him. Furthermore we will have an even bigger war chest when we lose Darbs, Macca and Kahu.

Birdy owes us at least two outstanding seasons before he returns to Sydney, and if he has had enough of the joint and not willing to repay the faith we have showed in him then he must find a club to take his whole wage bill on. He owes us at least that.

To play for another team while drawing cash from our cap would be such a '**** you' to the club from him that I just don't think he's that type of person. Coates and Bird are two gun centres that any team would kill for as far as I'm concerned.

Hope to god the club puts the 'Not for sale' sign up in huge big neon writing. We need him next year more than ever.
I agree but have another reason why. We can make it so that he's more attractive by telling all and sundry that he's not for sale and very much in our plans. The only way we'd consider letting him go is if it wasn't costing us anything AND anyone wanting his services needs to offer us a journeyman (centre or forward)

We would be better with a fit Bird though. It's sort of a win win in a way.

Wouldn’t him signing elsewhere next year mean he’s not taking up his player option and therefore we won’t have to pay him? Seems weird that someone could take up their option and still leave.

To be fair it also seems weird that leaving the club entirely doesn’t negate the entire contract like Kahu. I imagine this club will take the option that ***** us the most.
A very good point re him taking up his option. I havn't checked but I thought that kicked for the 2022 season.

Just based on the Broncos luck thus far, I feel like there's more chance of him picking up another season ending injury next year than not.

He has already activated his player option for next year

I’m aware. That really doesn’t answer my question though
So I'm with you. If he's activated already he either stays or if he decides to leave he gets nothing. Mind you the club might not want to keep him on the reported 900K figure so they may try to offload him by offering to pay some of his bill. It's ridicules if Bird is able to (even want to) hold the club to ransom like this after all we have done for him.

Could be the situation where he has told the Broncos he is taking up his 2021 option so guarantees his salary of $900k (or whatever the amount is) and the Broncos have also told him he can sign elsewhere with the Broncos willing to chip in an amount different to what the new club pays him and the 900k. Effectively taking up his option but also able to sign elsewhere...

In this scenario it's the club asking him to leave and the player saying fine, as long as i get my 900k.

Who would really know though, its all guesswork with the current way the Broncos management has handled contracts and negotiations.

If memory serves me correctly, it was Bird who wanted to play in the halves under Bennett and Bird initiated the move. Then MILF got wind of how much Bird was getting paid and got Broncos to bump up their offer for MILF.
Bird is the gift that keeps on giving.... us a headache.

If memory serves me correctly, it was Bird who wanted to play in the halves under Bennett and Bird initiated the move. Then MILF got wind of how much Bird was getting paid and got Broncos to bump up their offer for MILF.
Not sure there was a set position for him when Benny brought him here. Regardless, I'd be filthy if we ended up paying for him to play against us after all we've done for him.

I'm pretty sure WB wanted Bird to come here as a ballplaying lock [emoji848]

I’m aware. That really doesn’t answer my question though

since he has activated it, it is no longer a player option ... but a contract.

meaning he is now guaranteed that money and would need a release to sign elsewhere.

since he has activated it, it is no longer a player option ... but a contract.

meaning he is now guaranteed that money and would need a release to sign elsewhere.
Thanks Captain Obvious.. I’m still aware that he has activated it, but surely signing elsewhere means it’s deactivated. Surely activating the contract means you must play at the club otherwise it’s void. Surely those who write the contracts add safety measures like this because otherwise it’s absolute bullshit. No need to respond, you’ve not really answered anything.

Regardless of what has or hasn't happened, Broncos don't owe Bird anything, it is the other way around.

So this side doesn't need cash now (at least they shouldn't) unless someone like Grant becomes available, you hold Bird to his contract now. If someone wants to pay his entire wage though then fine but our club shouldn't be contributing a cent.

Thanks Captain Obvious.. I’m still aware that he has activated it, but surely signing elsewhere means it’s deactivated. Surely activating the contract means you must play at the club otherwise it’s void. Surely those who write the contracts add safety measures like this because otherwise it’s absolute bullshit. No need to respond, you’ve not really answered anything.

as i said it doesn't ... it is no longer an option that can be activated/de-activated ...

once he activates it ... it becomes a CONTRACT. to which he is entitled to be paid every cent. unless we agree to release him and he decides to forfeit the gap between our contract value and the likely lesser value of his new club

Active Now

• theshed
  • Bish
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Bronx48
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • kiwi2
  • Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Lazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.