NEWS Bird urged to flee the coop

I must admit i was pretty excited when it was announced he was coming here. I always admired the way he played the game. It's just sad he hasn't really had a decent run injury free to show us more of what he can do.

Maybe, only you'd probably need your back 3 to make good metres bringing the ball back. Imagine all the pressure on the two props with the current Broncos back 3 and Bird at lock.
Without looking at actual weight/height I would have guessed Bird was about the size of Radley and Cam Murray who imo are probably the top couple of locks in the game. Bird may be a bit lighter though I guess.

You are correct though, in their setups they do not require the 13 to be huge metre eaters, because both teams are getting more out of their back 3 than we are.

I guess i'm thinking more from a ball playing perspective, where an extra set of capable hands in the middle could be very useful if used correctly.

Doesn't matter though, highly doubt he'll ever play there for us or anywhere for us, just a thought I had had for a while that he could make a good lock.

Without looking at actual weight/height I would have guessed Bird was about the size of Radley and Cam Murray who imo are probably the top couple of locks in the game. Bird may be a bit lighter though I guess.

You are correct though, in their setups they do not require the 13 to be huge metre eaters, because both teams are getting more out of their back 3 than we are.

I guess i'm thinking more from a ball playing perspective, where an extra set of capable hands in the middle could be very useful if used correctly.

Doesn't matter though, highly doubt he'll ever play there for us or anywhere for us, just a thought I had had for a while that he could make a good lock.
I think the issue with using Bird as a ball playing lock is that he's used to playing on the edges, even as a 5/8 with the sharks he was also playing almost solely on the right edge... so you'd imagine as a lock he would naturally want to be playing as a second fullback.

To me Murray doesn't really play as a ball playing lock... he just plays up tempo through the middle, gets lightning play the balls, provides offloads and is always supporting through the middle on breaks. Plus Murray is a great 1v1 defender so he's no liability in the middle.

To me Radley's ball playing is largely just shuffling the ball along to the halves without engaging the defence (ala McGuire), but at times this year he was providing some useful play around the middle... potentially the open play in the middle is helping him out there.

I think Bird's best positions would either be at 6 (provided he has a dominant halfback inside him) or in the second row in the same mold that Wade Graham plays for the sharks.

If this story has legs I can’t believe Lockyer doesn’t know anything about it.
The more I hear from him the more I think he is just on the board as a figurehead and has no input and is told nothing. A mushroom director.

Lol, 975k. Plucked from an arse that figure. I doubt it is even above 800. Of course I could be wrong and he signed a 4 year deal and they said $3,900,000 and not a penny more! The extra 25k a year was just too much to stump up. Just do not believe the figure.

I was told a couple months ago that the Sharks were again going to see if he'd come back as they had made quiet enquiries the previous year. I hope he's a success wherever he goes except when we play them.

It's a shame how this is going to end, I was pretty excited about him coming as i thought he'd be a great fit for the team. Just one of those things where it never happens for a player in a certain environment, through no fault of his own really.

If this story has legs I can’t believe Lockyer doesn’t know anything about it.
The more I hear from him the more I think he is just on the board as a figurehead and has no input and is told nothing. A mushroom director.

This is what they mean when they negotiate players contracts that they'll look after them when they retire.

He appears to still be with Orr brothers, even though Gavin was de-registered

Screenshot 2020 07 22 Clients Archive   Pacific Sports Management

This is what they mean when they negotiate players contracts that they'll look after them when they retire.
Happy for the club to look after players when they retire but really the board is not the right place to be a player retirement home.

It's like the Broncos' are used car salesmen trying to sell a lemon to a Sydney club.
Broncos' did give Bird permission at the end of last season to look around but didn't find any suitors.

Last edited:
you watch him return to sydney and kill it next year

It's a shame how this is going to end, I was pretty excited about him coming as i thought he'd be a great fit for the team. Just one of those things where it never happens for a player in a certain environment, through no fault of his own really.

sometimes, it just was never meant to be....

Did he refuse his wages whilst injured..?...no, he did not.....and thats fine, but sorry i got no sympathy for you in that case....not like you were asked to go on Jobkeeper..

Draw a line, nothing personal but he represents much of what has gone WRONG at this club.....

....and not what we have got right...

Shop him next season, go down to those butt fucking Cronulla Eaashee ***** and say..."listen **** gobblers, we will pay 30% of his wages, and you can take him.."

Sure they may come back with a 35%-40% instead.....whatever, id accept 50% to be frank...

But move him on......take the remaining 50% and stick it under Fifitas little Broncos pillow that he obviously sleep with at night...
[automerge]1595558292[/automerge]
He appears to still be with Orr brothers, even though Gavin was de-registered

View attachment 8903.

fucking genius...getting Flegler $600k a year....****, im getting these guys to negotiate my next property...

Last edited:
sometimes, it just was never meant to be....

Did he refuse his wages whilst injured..?...no, he did not.....and thats fine, but sorry i got no sympathy for you in that case....not like you were asked to go on Jobkeeper..

Draw a line, nothing personal but he represents much of what has gone WRONG at this club.....
to be fair, I think they're not allowed to refuse payments? Otherwise every club would force every injured player to "take a pay cut for the greater good"

oh quite right...im not using that as rope to hang the bloke.....

More my point that....it didnt work out, its a professional sport, we need to move on, seeya later...

So like Fifita we will be currently paying him good coin to rehab and be ready for another club.

That being said, any club giving Bird a good contract after these last 3 years of injury isn't all there in the head.

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.