Blake Green signs with Knights

So is this the first instance of another club doing a Kahu or was he coming to the end of his contract anyway and Brisbane still the only club dumb enough to do a Kahu...twice?
Contract ends this year. Got told by new CEO’s that he would not be in their plans next year. They’ve allowed him to leave early.

So is this the first instance of another club doing a Kahu or was he coming to the end of his contract anyway and Brisbane still the only club dumb enough to do a Kahu...twice?
I believe part of his knights deal is the Broncos must take him for the next 40 years and cover all retirement expenses.

I believe part of his knights deal is the Broncos must take him for the next 40 years and cover all retirement expenses.

I can imagine that happening and the Broncs excitedly asking where the pen is.

Oh, I totally understand why you would say that. You might also note that I wrote that Haas was being used as a battering ram and didn't appear to be enjoying his football. So it was with that in mind I'd demonstrate to him that I saw him as more than just a work mule.

I'm sure you also saw I wrote that I'd give him free reign to play the game like he used to, running when he wanted to, taking chances when he wanted to, giving him back the way to have fun again. I even said I'd tell him he could do all that but he'd have to face his teammates if his decisions consistently hurt his team and forced them to do more than was neccessary.

I didn't suggest this without a reason or an underpinning logic. It isn't whimsical.

He is a prop .
Would you like him to swap with a 2nd rower in attack on the edge ?
He certainly can`t defend there . Not agile enough .
So he is a wide running prop who defends in the middle ?

He is a prop .
Would you like him to swap with a 2nd rower in attack on the edge ?
He certainly can`t defend there . Not agile enough .
So he is a wide running prop who defends in the middle ?
Nope. I know he's a prop. He's also a very very young prop. I wouldn't use him up as a tool to blunt the opposition because he's more than a battering ram. He is quite light on his feet and can step and swerve a bit and for a prop, he's very agile. I'd use lesser lights, more limited props to start the first 15-20.

Blokes like Kennedy and Offa. I'd rather they hold the middle and do the early grunt work. Haas is being used for too long because he has a big motor. What I'd be trying to get out of him is 55-60 minutes of premium high energy work instead of 70+ minutes of variable quality.

His first 20 odd minutes seems wasted to me. I just think he'd produce better quality after 20 and the team momentum would lift instead of drop as it does seemingly every game. Haas, Flegs and TPJ/Fifita all coming into the game in the second quarter lifting the tempo. I'd use up the reggies first and if they cannot do the simple job I set them I'd sub them off but if they were matching their opposites and making metres then I'd reassess.

Sure it's a risky strategy but where's the risk if the utter failure doing it the other way has become the norm?

Nope. I know he's a prop. He's also a very very young prop. I wouldn't use him up as a tool to blunt the opposition because he's more than a battering ram. He is quite light on his feet and can step and swerve a bit and for a prop, he's very agile. I'd use lesser lights, more limited props to start the first 15-20.

Blokes like Kennedy and Offa. I'd rather they hold the middle and do the early grunt work. Haas is being used for too long because he has a big motor. What I'd be trying to get out of him is 55-60 minutes of premium high energy work instead of 70+ minutes of variable quality.

His first 20 odd minutes seems wasted to me. I just think he'd produce better quality after 20 and the team momentum would lift instead of drop as it does seemingly every game. Haas, Flegs and TPJ/Fifita all coming into the game in the second quarter lifting the tempo. I'd use up the reggies first and if they cannot do the simple job I set them I'd sub them off but if they were matching their opposites and making metres then I'd reassess.

Sure it's a risky strategy but where's the risk if the utter failure doing it the other way has become the norm?
he's a prop. He's also a very very young prop

Who plays for Australia

Yeah right !
Reminds me of my mother suggesting the Aussie Cricket Team reverse the batting order .
So the bowlers would be tired by the time the best batsmen came out to bat ... LOL .

Last edited:

Who plays for Australia

Yeah right !
Reminds me of my mother suggesting the Aussie Cricket Team reverse the batting order .
So the bowlers would be tired by the time the best batsmen came out to bat ... LOL .

Playing for Australia though, he isn't expected to play 80 minutes every week. He is being blunted by unnecessary workload by a coach who has no idea how to manage a bench.

Remember, the coach looks at the data, sees that the kid is super fit, so decides he can do it based on numbers, therefore he should do it. I don't agree with the suggestion to start the lesser lights but I do agree the kid needs to be managed FAR better than he currently is.

Who plays for Australia

Yeah right !
Fine. Tremendous argument. So detailed, so elegantly stated. Reasoned, considered and inspired.

It's been working so well lately hasn't it? He's standing out in every match isn't he? Oh the insanity of it all, imagine that!! Another person starting instead of Haas!! Sheer craziness!!!

I know your response explained in excruciating detail why another human being couldn't start the game but I didn't quite catch all the reasons why it would be such madness, perhaps if you could explain in simpler terms what you mean? I'd be ever so grateful.

Fine. Tremendous argument. So detailed, so elegantly stated. Reasoned, considered and inspired.

It's been working so well lately hasn't it? He's standing out in every match isn't he? Oh the insanity of it all, imagine that!! Another person starting instead of Haas!! Sheer craziness!!!

I know your response explained in excruciating detail why another human being couldn't start the game but I didn't quite catch all the reasons why it would be such madness, perhaps if you could explain in simpler terms what you mean? I'd be ever so grateful.
Now, I can be a bit slow (most of the time), is this what they call sarcasm??

Just gone through Haas's stats for the season so far. He's still in beast mode considering he's been in a badly beaten side nearly every week. In the top 5 or 6 props in nearly every category.

Just gone through Haas's stats for the season so far. He's still in beast mode considering he's been in a badly beaten side nearly every week. In the top 5 or 6 props in nearly every category.
No doubt about it, he certainly is doing well in the stats. Of course, on this forum stats don't mean anything, they don't take into account blah blah and so and so. On here, if stats don't suit the narrative then they apparently become meaningless.

I don't feel that that is true. Stats do tell part of every story. In this case it reveals Haas is playing long minutes, is making fewer metres, has regressed from 2019 but is still going well. I believe that by playing with fewer minutes but better management he could quite readily top the stats in most areas.

If people out there are seeing a happy Haas then I need my eyes checked. I see a proud competitor but I believe he has dropped off and I suspect he's dissatisfied and feels underpaid and taken for granted. He looks to me to be just going through the motions but because his 'B' game is most other props 'A' it's not being noticed. I think he's not being used properly and he could be so much more than a just a battering ram.

I don't really give much thought to why someone disagrees with me, unless of course they explain their reasoning.

Last edited:
No doubt about it, he certainly is doing well in the stats. Of course, on this forum stats don't mean anything, they don't take into account blah blah and so and so. On here, if stats don't suit the narrative then they apparently become meaningless.

I don't feel that that is true. Stats do tell part of every story. In this case it reveals Haas is playing long minutes, is making fewer metres, has regressed from 2019 but is still going well. I believe that by playing with fewer minutes but better management he could quite readily top the stats in most areas.

If people out there are seeing a happy Haas then I need my eyes checked. I see a proud competitor but I believe he has dropped off and I suspect he's dissatisfied and feels underpaid and taken for granted. He looks to me to be just going through the motions but because his 'B' game is most other props 'A' it's not being noticed. I think he's not being used properly and he could be so much more than a just a battering ram.

I don't really give much thought to why someone disagrees with me, unless of course they explain their reasoning.
Well, I for one think you are absolutely on the money. Further, I think if we do not act to address some of those issues, we are at risk of losing him as well.

Well, I for one think you are absolutely on the money. Further, I think if we do not act to address some of those issues, we are at risk of losing him as well.
Wouldn’t that be a legacy...
Worst season ever (possible spoon), lost the two most promising young forwards of their era.
Something to hang your hat on.

Wow, cheers. I wrote about Haas and this very thing quite some months ago because even then body language (and instincts I suppose) made me think I saw a festering issue. I'm concerned we are bashing a kid and truthfully I never forgave the NRL for Adam Ritson. The fact that I actually looked like him when young made me empathetic and I feared for him, seeing him bashed by much older men when truly still just a boy in an overdeveloped body.

That, more than anything else is at the heart of my objection to the way he's being abused. Give that grunt work to older heads. Yes, I know that applies to other young guys in our team to and my suggestions would put other young men in a similar situation but what I really want to see is an evening out of the grunt work so the superior work of Haas can be distilled into a shorter time frame. More quality, less time and damage.

Besides, there's not the head hunting of Ritson's era so it definitely isn't as dangerous on the field. I'm just an old dad about it.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.