NEWS Boyd’s Brutally Honest Assessment of Hellish Season

Yeah I understand how you feel but you've got to stick with your team no matter what.

Move along pal. You're not welcome here
Perfect example of the attitude issues at the Broncos. Impotent input with no real effort, meaning or positive result yet still feel entitled to represent the group and even take the role of speaker, or captain if you want it more specific. The rot has spread all the way to an online forum. That's how infectious arrogant superiority and swaggering underachievement is. 👏

Last edited:
Getting pretty emotional, there's no need to take it out on each other. We all want what's best for the team, and we all have an opinion of what the best way forward will be. They're all welcome to be discussed.

Yeah that wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone on the forum. Just the negativity and downward spiral and the way rot spreads. For what it's worth, I value everyone's opinion on here, even the shit ones! 🥰🤣

I probably shouldn't tell anyone they aren't welcome here. My bad.

But.

If someone comes on a Broncos forum and says they don't support our club and they actually like all the Boyd hate, then why would they want to interact with us fans who truly support the Broncos no matter what?

What are they expecting as replies to their questions/comments etc.

The debates, opinions and, yes the occassional feud on these forums have kept me sane this season.

Coming from nsw, there are few opportunities to genuinely chat about the broncos with other supporters.

The debates, opinions and, yes the occassional feud on these forums have kept me sane this season.

Coming from nsw, there are few opportunities to genuinely chat about the broncos with other supporters.
Without stone throwing?

Yeah I understand how you feel but you've got to stick with your team no matter what.

Move along pal. You're not welcome here.
Really, no matter what? No matter what they do you'd stick with them and cheer them on? To me this is you boasting about being an automaton or a sheep and being proud of it.

Mods let me know if my posts aren't welcome and I'll be glad to oblige by never speaking here again.

Yes mate. No matter what. Why change teams or not support them when they aren't going well? I'm not a fair weather fan. I don't just support them when they go well. I'll stick with them during tough times. I'm not boasting whatsoever. I just believe a supporter, a true supporter sticks solid during bad and good times.

I absolutely hate how we are performing at the moment. It's a disgrace. I criticise them. I'm rather negative in my posts towards them because of what I see but I'm allowed to be this way because I'll stick around no matter what and support the club hoping we turn it around and we will turn it around. We will get much much better and I'll be there for the future premierships too. I'm sure 99% of the supporters on here feel the same way, or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure.
Really, no matter what? No matter what they do you'd stick with them and cheer them on? To me this is you boasting about being an automaton or a sheep and being proud of it.

Mods let me know if my posts aren't welcome and I'll be glad to oblige by never speaking here again.

So if it came out that this player group were match fixing, you'd support them. If it came out they were tanking games on purpose to get a coach fired, you'd be behind them. That's the difference between you and me. (By the way I'm wearing a broncos shirt right now, so you have to support me, no matter what I do.)

I think what you are saying is unrealistic. It's hard to deal with hypotheticals. But, if that happened, I'd lose respect for that player, not the club.
So if it came out that this player group were match fixing, you'd support them. If it came out they were tanking games on purpose to get a coach fired, you'd be behind them. That's the difference between you and me. (By the way I'm wearing a broncos shirt right now, so you have to support me, no matter what I do.)

Post what you want when you want. The actual word forum means a place where ideas and opinions can be exchanged freely.

There is a lot of stench about this year lads so lets try and keep this place above it.

In fact its so bad my mind is swinging back and forth. I thought shit I have said some nasty things about Boyd maybe i should lay off then I read an article and I think you prick haha.

All i know is I love this club and if the boys turn up for every remaining game this year I will at least be optimistic. If Boyd turns up and pulls a Handcock and proves everyone wrong then I will stand appluad when he hangs up the boots. I don't want ill of him I want him to perform or man up and walk. That goes for any who represent our team, i hope their careers are long and they achieve the highest they can in the game.

In doing that I hope they never forget the fan. The fans who turn up to cheer, who buy memberships, polos and wave flags. Because it shouldn't be just another game when you have 20 odd thousand people in seats at a stadium and thousands more cheering on your success at home.

So at risk of sounding like Robert De Niro in The Fan I will leave it there.

Sorry mate but thats not how every story goes. When my Nan was dying in hospital she had her room decked out in Maroon and Gold. She loved the Broncos and Queensland to death. It was around origin time so that had something to do with it. Some would say thats crazy but it was her way. The nurses said you could hear her yelling from the nurses station, scared them the first time they heard it because they thought she needed help. Nope all she needed was those bastard refs to stop cheating haha. My love of the Broncos springs from her, in a lot of ways they keep me connected to her. I hear that voice in my head I heard as a kid in a living room in Ipswich 20 odd years ago. It may not be life and death but a game can be bigger then just the contest. Its that primal thing in us, that tribal mentality.

A few of us have pointed out what the game is for so many. Boyds attitude is a poor one not because our side isn't winning but because some are barely trying. If it wasn't just a game to Boyd he would be a better leader. I would prefer him as far away from our youth as possible.
No need to be sorry, I don't remember saying EVERY story is the same. Nan might have .oved the Broncos right up until full time but anyone tying together Boyd's line and these emotive events is doing Boyd a disservice. I don't believe Boyd is delusional, pea hearted, not trying, obsessed with money or any one of the hundred other ridiculous claims including being responsible for global climate change. I do agree he hasn't been playing well and the reason for that is inclear to me. That's because I don't have all the facts.

I think a difference must be made between supporting the club (which I always will, and would for example never burn a Broncos jersey like that idiot on Twitter or Instagram or whatever it was), and individuals at the service of the club, be it players, coaching or management.
Everyone is fair game, as long as it doesn't go into the personal sphere!

In regards to the latter, I find Boyd's implied complaint yet another sign that he is delusional (yes @Huge , I do think he is, because I really don't want to think he is tanking on purpose), because outside a few tasteless jokes about him and "daddy Bennett", 99% of the criticism has been on his dismal performance as a player and captain of the Broncos, to the point where Thaiday's last season looks amazing in comparison!
Since his career year in 2016, it has been going downhill pretty fast, with 2017's injury being the mark where it all sped up to a ordinary 2018 and now a downright diabolical 2019.

I actually believe Seibs and possibly the Broncos management are trying to give him the room to retire gracefully and spare him and the club the shame of dropping its captain to reggies, but he is absolutely blind to it, and his mentor is probably enjoying the current state of affairs too much to get in his ear as well.

When Kevvie presented his son his first Melbourne jersey last night this was said by the MElbourne coach. “I know Kevvie was really proud to do that,” Bellamy said. “He has had some tough times in his life, Billy … and Kevvie, and we all know where I am coming from there.

“It was quite emotional and Kevvie got quite emotional and Billy got quite emotional. It was a nice touch and it was just nice to see sometimes how important a game of footy is. It was certainly important to Billy tonight and it was certainly important to Kevvie and his family.”

Some on here might disregard emotions but Bellamy gets it and he gets how important the game of footy is. His cap cheating aside - that's why he's able to get so called journeymen come to Melbourne and shine.

I hope Darius finds time to read Bellyache's remarks.

When Kevvie presented his son his first Melbourne jersey last night this was said by the MElbourne coach. “I know Kevvie was really proud to do that,” Bellamy said. “He has had some tough times in his life, Billy … and Kevvie, and we all know where I am coming from there.

“It was quite emotional and Kevvie got quite emotional and Billy got quite emotional. It was a nice touch and it was just nice to see sometimes how important a game of footy is. It was certainly important to Billy tonight and it was certainly important to Kevvie and his family.”

Some on here might disregard emotions but Bellamy gets it and he gets how important the game of footy is. His cap cheating aside - that's why he's able to get so called journeymen come to Melbourne and shine.

I hope Darius finds time to read Bellyache's remarks.
Also line from Finch from same article I'm assuming reminded me of this topic.
“It shows it is bigger than a game of footy and how important it is for some people,” Finch said.

I mark myself hard’: Darius Boyd’s revealing self-assessment of maligned season
July 03, 2019
Besieged Broncos skipper Darius Boyd has opened about up his tumultuous season, admitting “I need to be better” and dismissing suggestions he has lost the desire to compete in the NRL. Few players have endured the brickbats Boyd has consistently copped this season as the Brisbane captain prepares to lead the Baby Broncos into battle against the Sharks on Sunday at Sydney’s PointsBet Stadium.

Queensland Origin legend Paul Vautin has labelled his defence “abysmal”. NSW Origin coach Brad Fittler claims Boyd’s mind isn’t on football. Former NSW hooker Michael Ennis believes Boyd has simply fallen out of love with the game and no longer has the desire to mix it with the best.

The savage criticism reached its crescendo in the wake of Brisbane’s 26-12 loss to the Knights last Saturday night, when Boyd was trampled by Jesse Ramien on the way to Newcastle’s match-sealing try.

c8786c635e7234af0a9452b20f02a0d6

Darius Boyd has copped plenty of criticism this year. Picture: AAP

Boyd’s performance – in his first ever game at five-eighth after being switched with Anthony Milford – has sparked speculation he is one more poor game away from being dropped to the Intrust Super Cup. Such a scenario seemed unfathomable when Boyd helped Brisbane to the 2015 NRL grand final, but ahead of the Sharks clash, the Broncos’ most accomplished current player is candid about his form.

“I’m not going to blame others, I’ll put my hand up for my situation,” Boyd told The Courier-Mail. “I was disappointed for a few days after the Knights game. I felt I let the team down and the boys down, so I need to make amends this week.

c68efe005291ca1bc3589d1f5c569842

Jesse Ramien runs over Darius Boyd. Picture: Getty

“I’m always filthy at myself when I don’t play well. If I drop a bomb, or miss a tackle, I mark myself hard.“I’m always trying to be the best I can. It (his form) is even more disappointing when we have a really young group. I’m the captain. I’m one of the older and more experienced guys and I’m making mistakes like that (his missed tackle on Ramien).

“At the end of the day, I can’t change what happened. I will have a look at the video and why I missed the tackle and I’ll be practising this week to improve and make sure I’m better all round.” Boyd’s frustration is amplified by a portfolio that stamps him as one of the most successful players of his generation.

f5f28856d30d9cd40134f0fe1b1021c6

Former players have questioned if Boyd has the desire to play the game anymore. Picture: AAP

In May, he became just the 35th player in the code’s 111-year history to reach 300 first grade games. He has won two premierships, a Clive Churchill Medal, played 28 Origin matches for Queensland, and 23 Tests for Australia. But this season, his 14th in the NRL, Boyd has lost his mojo. He has missed 26 tackles, more than any fullback in the game, and is averaging 94 running metres, way behind his No.1 rivals James Tedesco (171m), Tom Trbojevic (164m) and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (167). Desperate to spark the Broncos and his skipper, coach Anthony Seibold last week moved Boyd to five-eighth. He returns to fullback this week following a knee injury to Milford.

Boyd, who turns 32 in a fortnight, is contracted to Brisbane until the end of 2021. There have been calls for him to retire now, but Boyd says he will not make a kneejerk decision on his future. “I know there is stuff out there about me. I don’t read anything,” he says. “All I can do is talk to ‘Seibs’ (Seibold) and have some honest conversations with him about the team and where we are headed and my performances. All I can do is work on my own form.

“The outside noise doesn’t faze me because I know a lot of it is to create hype and make stories and that’s the media’s role. I understand the media has a job to do and they have to sometimes dramatise some issues and there is a lot of content on a lot of shows. “I don’t read it. I don’t think about it. I respect people have opinions. That’s fine. “But all I care about is what happens internally and what is said in-house.

All I have to worry about here is what the coaching staff want me to do and how I can get better for the team. “At the end of the day, I will back my ability. I haven’t had my best year this year. I accept that. I need to be better. I’m still training hard. I’m still hungry.

8c87d1e94e8111872d90ad0ebefa2f0c

Darius Boyd wants to guide his young team on and off the field. Picture: AAP
“When it comes to retirement, I’m not going to make any rash decisions. I’ve had some good games this year, I’ve had some poor games this year. “I’m not happy about my form but all I can do is keep working hard and help this team get back to where it needs to get to. “I need to teach the young guys at our club about experience and leadership, and qualities that make you a successful football player for a long period of time. “I have achieved a fair few things in the game, so I feel I can help them on and off the field.”

While Boyd accepts NRL players will be criticised, he believes some critiques are over the top. “We are in a privileged position, but we are still human beings and mental health is a consideration, especially for the younger players in the game,” he said. “I just hope the media remember we are talking about a game of rugby league. It’s not life and death.

0dee62a2e07bb1d26d6e89cbb89920c9

Darius Boyd is well behind the best fullbacks in the game. Picture: AAP
“We are just human beings doing our best every week. Sometimes we don’t get it right. We aren’t perfect. “Whether we get paid $10 million or 10 cents, it doesn’t matter, we’re just doing our best and harsh, personal criticism shouldn’t come from it. “Any time I don’t play well or any time I make an error, I know I am going to be spoken about because of the way we are going as a team.

“Whenever the team loses, every performance is pulled apart and because I am captain, they will look at me and the highest-paid players in the team. I don’t lose sleep over that because that’s the reality. “I’m all for constructive criticism and the fans deserve to hear analysis of the game, but some of the things said about me and other players go too far and is not good for players’ wellbeing.”

Source: The Courier Mail

***********************************************************************************************************************

OMG! You're totally on a different planet you moron........
1. First and foremost, it's notjust a game of Rugby League to you. Ffs, it's your livelihood. If you suck at it, daddy's not around to save you anymore.
2. Agree that you're a human being but are you giving your 100% to the team? You're fucking kidding yourself if you believe so.
3. You won't make any decisions when it comes to retirement? Again, who the **** asked you to make a rash decision? Deadest, no one wants you near the team you twat.
4. It's a disgrace that board is coming to your rescue(presumably) and forcing the coach to not touch you. If not for them, you would've been stripped off the captaincy dropped long ago.
5. In the 15 games so far this season, do you know how many L's you've contributed to? Most of them you idiot.
I could go on & on with my ranting but what's the use you've a very very thicker skin than I thought. It appears that all our misery is falling into deaf years. Save whatever pride that's left for you and **** off in retirement today.
I've never seen confirmation bias and delusion any thicker outside of Wayne himself.

Every fucking word of that made me angrier and angrier. He's dead set not capable of rational objective thinking!!!

Wayne has brainwashed him to think all the "outside noise" is just to dramatise things. NO! YOU'RE ACTUALLY THAT SHIT!!!! GTFO

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.