Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Boyd: I told Bennett it wasn't going to work

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 11 Feb 2019, 02:01 PM
Email
Darius Boyd said the arrival of Anthony Seibold at the Broncos could not have come at a better time as another drama-charged season with Wayne Bennett "wasn't going to work".
The former Maroons and Test representative said while the early signs of the Seibold era were extremely promising, the second iteration of Bennett's time at Brisbane still held a special place in Boyd's thoughts.
Boyd's abiding respect for Bennett and his determination to stay in touch and maintain their close bond was the first point to emerge from a chat with NRL.com.
Secondly, the Broncos captain made it clear that he was enjoying being coached by Seibold and relishing the atmosphere at Red Hill with the pressures of Bennett's final months now behind the club.
Bennett was at loggerheads with the Broncos' hierarchy and has said since taking the reins at South Sydney that he was expecting to be sacked. Boyd was also not surprised.
"We are probably out on the field a little bit shorter in duration but it is really intense and game-specific stuff. We have a younger squad and I think all the young boys enjoy that competition.
"There is a lot of feedback and a lot of analytic stuff around watching video, team meetings and the GPS [data] we get sent to us."
As a human being, Boyd said Seibold was "even better than I thought".
"I'd only had limited dealings with him in the Origin arena as an assistant coach but I said in the first press conference [when Seibold was appointed] that he was always very approachable," Boyd said.
"I felt like that was the vibe he had back then and now that he has been here as our head coach I think he is even more approachable.
"He is really thorough, gets along with the players and talks to everyone. He shakes everyone's hand and asks how the family is going. It is a young group and I think they need that.
"Even the way we do things around meetings or the way we get together and do things outside of rugby league as well, I think he is on the right page and knows what he is doing."
Boyd was quick to add that seven-time premiership winner Bennett also knows what he is doing as he pointed to the silver lining in the 69-year-old's appointment at South Sydney.
"Souths is one of the most proud and famous clubs in rugby league. I think my wife told me that memberships just went up down there at Souths and obviously that is because of Wayne, his stature in the game and what he has been able to achieve," Boyd said.
"He has worked with Sam Burgess and his brothers with England and has got GI there, one of the greatest players of the modern era. Damien Cook has been on fire in recent times and he has got a great squad there at a club with a proud history and great fan base. He should be excited."
Bennett took Boyd to St George Illawarra Dragons in 2009 and the following year rewarded the long-suffering Red V fans with a 33-year drought-breaking premiership. Boyd sees similarities between the Dragons squad and the one Bennett now has at his disposal.
"I think he has a strong mix of youth and experience just going off the Souths squad from last year, and the Dragons were a bit like that when he went there," Boyd said.
I think I even said to Wayne that it wasn't going to work
Darius Boyd on Bennett at Broncos in 2019​
"Wayne is at Souths for a few years and whether they win the comp or not I am sure they will go close. He might tinker with that squad for the next couple of years to give himself the best chance of winning a premiership there."
They won't be ringing each other every other day but Boyd and Bennett will stay in touch in the years to come.
"I spoke to him over Christmas and he said he was enjoying it. We are going to keep in contact. That is one thing I was most nervous about," Boyd said.
"Our relationship is not what everyone thinks though. It is not a father-son relationship. I am an introvert and he is probably the same."

Source: NRL.com

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrRobot
  • Mustafur
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.