Boyd - I'm trying too hard

From memory (and forgive me if I am wrong because I don't have a good one) I think Alf had a poor one the weekend before where he was actually hooked from the field. I think that is what broke the camels back
That's as I remember too. I think he'd lost desire at around the same time period .

That's as I remember too. I think he'd lost desire at around the same time period .
Yeah, but he wasn't giving up a $750k/season contract with 2 years remaining... Boyd will milk it dry. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think i will be.

Yeah, but he wasn't giving up a $750k/season contract with 2 years remaining... Boyd will milk it dry. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think i will be.
Yes, you may be right but I tend to think he'll be more honorable than that. I've previously stated I think the club will tap him and he'll accept an agreed on early payout finishing this year. I don't believe he's on 750k and think it's much closer to 550/600. I think that's true for Bird too, at least regarding the money. If it was me I'd say, **** you, happy to play reserve grade until my contracts up. My reason? Simple, the club made 51 million last year and can afford it. Afterall, it's only already well off shareholders and they can blame the board if the contracts too long or too lucrative. That's just me. I'm such a **** ( imagine the Hound saying that )

Darius Boyd struggling to keep pace with NRL’s top fullbacks
07b54d72aefe4230f64dd24d2025d682

There is not a sadder sight in rugby league than watching a great old player struggling at the back end of his career.
That’s why it was almost a relief rather than sadness when Greg Inglis recently retired with two years remaining on his contract.
This column is about veteran Brisbane Broncos fullback and captain Darius Boyd and his form this year in the opening eight rounds of the competition.
Boyd was signed to a four-year contract before the start of last season. He turns 32 in July.
To put it bluntly, Boyd is no longer in the same ballpark as the best fullbacks.
Not compared to James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic (when he’s fit), Kalyn Ponga or Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, the Dally M champion.
179723d8cf1f26a39ef04f278aaef8bd
Darius Boyd is struggling this season for the Broncos. Picture: AAP
Yet he has three years to run on his $800,000-a-season Broncos contract.
It was a massive mistake by Wayne Bennett to sign him for that length of time.
(Mind you, signing Anthony Milford on $1 million a year was even worse.)
This is a difficult one for new coach Anthony Seibold to manage because Boyd and Bennett have been as close as a father and son.
The last thing Seibold needs right now is any combat with his captain.
It is a delicate column to write because Boyd has developed so nicely as a person in recent years.
How he has overcome mental health issues is an inspiration to us all.
This guy was a great player in his day. He played 23 Tests for the Kangaroos and 28 State of Origins for the Maroons.
097bb8343318c471eacb6d6408e25b23
Darius Boyd has three years to run on his Broncos contract.
Right now, Boyd is struggling at a time when the Broncos, with such a youthful side, need a great leader. There have been times this year where his defence has been terrible.
Even his contests for the ball against South Sydney on Thursday night lacked energy.
That’s a nice way of saying he didn’t put his body on the line in his 300th game when Cody Walker scored two tries from kicks.
Boyd is having a dig but father time eventually catches up with all footballers.
The statistics tell an interesting story.
If you look at 2017 to 2019, Boyd has only eight tries, 14 linebreaks and 24 try assists in 53 games.
9e02f30f8b44e453456d21c640851970
Darius Boyd has enjoyed a stellar career at NRL, State of Origin and Test level. Picture: Josh Woning.
In that same period, Trbojevic has 24 tries, 50 linebreaks and 42 try assists (47 games), while Tedesco has 19 tries, 40 linebreaks and 30 try assists (53 games).
Boyd this year has career-low numbers for tackle busts (1.6 per game) and linebreaks (only one in eight games). His two try assists in eight games (0.3 per game) are his lowest since 2009.
So where does this story go? Does a conversation need to be had about an early exit strategy?
Do they look at another option at fullback and move Boyd to the wing, centre or even five-eighth?
With six losses from eight games, the pressure is building every week north of the border.
This is a football side many tipped to make the top four. At the moment the Broncos are more likely bottom four.
And the future and form of Boyd is just one of many issues that need to be addressed.
Rothfield

I don't believe he's on 750k and think it's much closer to 550/600.

800k, look at the Rothfield article. Stop making up numbers to defend captain courageous.

Other than the dollars, the rest of the article is pretty consistent with the general consensus on these forums

There is a part of me that thinks the mental demons and challenges Boyd has overcome is partly the reason why he is still fullback and captain.

Despite our thoughts on here, Boyd is very well liked at the club. He is respected for what he has been through in his life and in his career. If he was suddenly shit canned, I imagine it wouldn't go down too well within the playing group, players would feel he is being made a scapegoat and could cause some issues and keeping Boyd in the side is keeping the rest of the playing group on board.

Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

There is a part of me that thinks the mental demons and challenges Boyd has overcome is partly the reason why he is still fullback and captain.

Despite our thoughts on here, Boyd is very well liked at the club. He is respected for what he has been through in his life and in his career. If he was suddenly shit canned, I imagine it wouldn't go down too well within the playing group, players would feel he is being made a scapegoat and could cause some issues and keeping Boyd in the side is keeping the rest of the playing group on board.

Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much.
No, none of that is unreasonable or illogical. He probably will suggest to Boyd a change of position or even have a heart to heart with him about the role and see if Boyd might offer up an alternative. We know it won't be in the halves or forwards so there's only centre and wing...or left right out.

No, none of that is unreasonable or illogical. He probably will suggest to Boyd a change of position or even have a heart to heart with him about the role and see if Boyd might offer up an alternative. We know it won't be in the halves or forwards so there's only centre and wing...or left right out.
I wonder if he is another one that might need a week or two off to consider his future and whether he wants to try and press on. Go away some where with the family and think on it.

Unread

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.