NEWS Boyd: my lucky number's one

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
On the eve of Darius Boyd's 329'th NRL game (pipping ET), Brisbane's favourite son assures us he's got this:

“It’s like riding a bike, you don’t forget how to do it. I still feel fullback is my best position - I played there for 14 years. When you are playing in your favourite spot, it’s easier to play well there and I’m confident I can do the job this week. I’m giving the team everything I can."

27369886 8233589 image a 18 1587265670501

Can get even better

“Look, I know I can be better. But it’s not through a lack of effort or a lack of trying. I have kept turning up every day this year trying to help the young guys and trying to be as vocal as I can be on the field. I don’t really want to talk about my personal record (going past Ettingshausen) because all of us need to be better as a team. At the moment it’s not good enough. I just want us to get more wins and deliver better performances that the fans can be proud of.”

Piehole can feel it:

“Darius has in my opinion been really strong at left centre this year. One of the reasons I kept him there was to have some stability on that left edge after having a couple of different players around him. This week with Brodie being out, I wanted to move ‘Milly’ (Anthony Milford) back to six and Darius has played the bulk of his career at fullback. He is a quality player and understands the role really well. I am sure he won’t miss a beat there.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Tomorrow nights drinking game will be how many times he just falls over or stands there feet planted and never attempts to make a tackle

I mean there’s a chance he may actually make a cover tackle now. He’s done it twice already so he’s due two more before the season is out if you consider that strike rate

I hope he plays well, he owes the team for the shit he's dished up this year and last year and the year before that.

Yep, he's over clubbed. Should be using a 6 iron, but has gone with the 3 iron instead.

I want to preface this by saying I do think he has been better this season.

But... how many times over the last 2 or so years has he trotted out the “I know I can be better” line.

Not only does it wear a bit thin after a while, but hearing it, ad-nauseam, for the last couple of years also fuels the resentment people have toward him not retiring.

Last edited:
I actually believe in Boyd to do a sufficient job at fullback this time.

I think Boyd has been better this year, significantly (no, I don't think he has been good by any means but he was woeful last year). I also think this team tonight is a better chance tonight than any time other than the Bulldogs game but like the Bulldogs game, once again in spite of the coach and not because of the coach.

Let me explain why. The halves are what they should have been at the start of the year, purely due to injury and not because of the coach actually recognising it. Boyd is out of the centres and back where he is at his best. No, I am not saying he should have been first choice fullback but he can't be centre, so if the coach won't drop him, he should have been left at 1 or on the wing. So again he is where he is best for the team purely because every other option has fallen over.

The props look good and it is important to have experience at the start of games but once again, the coach can't help himself but tinker with the tried and true bench that includes two props (or at least one prop and a hybrid prop/second-rower). So, of course this side could look better and could be better structured and better balanced but at least the backline actually looks about as good as it can given the injuries. So again, what does this coach offer?

He will try hard but he"s old and scared now.

I also agree that Boyd has been better this year than the very low base he set last season but i am still extremely happy he is hanging up the boots at the end of this season rather than going around again in 2021.

Sadly Boyd's performances or position in the team wouldn't even make the top 5 problems the club has had this season.

I hope he kills it tonight at fullback and finishes his career in the fullback position playing good footy and can leave the game in a somewhat positive light

I also agree that Boyd has been better this year than the very low base he set last season but i am still extremely happy he is hanging up the boots at the end of this season rather than going around again in 2021.

Sadly Boyd's performances or position in the team wouldn't even make the top 5 problems the club has had this season.

I hope he kills it tonight at fullback and finishes his career in the fullback position playing good footy and can leave the game in a somewhat positive light
In Darb's case the ship is fine it's the captain that's the problem.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.