Badel Warning Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast

Darius Boyd urged to consider early retirement as Broncos face retention headaches

PETER BADEL,
The Courier-Mail
an hour ago

Queensland Origin legend Billy Moore has urged Darius Boyd to consider an early retirement to help the Broncos free-up funds to stave-off poaching raids on hulking Brisbane young gun David Fifita. Cashed-up NRL rivals are poised to pick the eyes out of Brisbane’s star-studded roster with Parramatta and the Warriors preparing big-money raids for Fifita, who made his Queensland Origin debut in June. The Broncos did well to upgrade Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jr last month, but the $4 million retention drive has left the club with limited funds under the salary-cap to prevail in a bidding war for Fifita.

Brisbane will face fresh retention headaches next season with a number of big-name stars coming off-contract. They include veteran hooker Andrew McCullough, centre sensation Kotoni Staggs and backline aces Anthony Milford and Jack Bird, who have options in their favour.

Darius Boyd has been urged to consider an early retirement to help the Broncos. Picture: Getty Images

Darius Boyd has been urged to consider an early retirement to help the Broncos. Picture: Getty Images

Moore believes one solution lies in skipper Boyd walking away 12 months early to give the Broncos a salary-cap war chest. The 32-year-old captain’s future has come under the microscope following his patchy form this season. “If Darius stood down, then financially it would give the Broncos a lot of money under the cap to keep a kid like David Fifita,” Moore said. “If Darius can see that his form and his ability to influence matches has declined, he needs to consider retirement. “When you are earning $700,000 or $800,000 a season, that’s the type of elite money where you dictate whether your team wins a match each week. “I don’t think Darius is playing well enough to do that, so if at the end of 2020, if he has another repeat season of 2019, then he has to consider walking away.”

David Fifita is a signing target for cashed-up NRL clubs. Picture: Getty Images

David Fifita is a signing target for cashed-up NRL clubs. Picture: Getty Images

Boyd has copped savage criticism in recent weeks since his move from fullback to five-eighth, but he hit back at his detractors with an improved display in Brisbane’s gutsy 24-12 defeat of Penrith on Friday night. Former Maroons lock Moore has great respect for Boyd’s 313 games of service in the NRL, but says the skipper’s current contract, worth around $700,000 a season, could be crucial funds to retain the next generation headlined by Fifita. The back-row wrecking ball is off-contract next season, meaning he can field formal offers from November 1 this year.
“It would be a noble move by Darius (to retire early),” Moore said.

Darius Boyd is contracted until the end of 2021. Picture: Getty Images

Darius Boyd is contracted until the end of 2021. Picture: Getty Images

“Should he do it? Maybe he won’t, but if Darius does walk away, I hope he stays on for the Broncos in an off-field capacity because he has been a wonderful servant for the club. “You hate having these sorts of conversations around great players. You want to see a guy like Johnathan Thurston for example going out on top. “Darius has had a wonderful career, no question, but for Boyd to be able to play on in 2021, there has to be a radical improvement.”

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
Boyd will call it a day after this season. He is smart enough to know that he is way off the pace and I don't think he'll want to go through another season of unrelenting criticism from the media and fans. The notion that he'll stick around for another payday is ridiculous.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Captains just don't call it quits quietly in the off season. If he's going this season, he'll announce it soon so he can have a home ground send off against the Eels, the week after next.

Last edited:

Thelmus

NRL Player
I do hope when he retires he is given some of field role, preferably with player welfare. He is a wonderful example to young players how turn your life around, when you think back to where he was at St George.
He is also very good at analysing the fullback role and would be good mentoring who plays there, such as an isaako too.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I'm still not seeing how him retiring is going to save us his salary for next year. Isnt he contracted for next year and another in his favour if he wants it? Even if he calls it quits ( which i think he probably should ) then we still have to carry his salary.
- Merged

I do hope when he retires he is given some of field role, preferably with player welfare. He is a wonderful example to young players how turn your life around, when you think back to where he was at St George.
He is also very good at analysing the fullback role and would be good mentoring who plays there, such as an isaako too.
He is very well respected and popular amongst the players. An off field role in welfare would be a perfect fit for him imo. He has been through a fair bit in his life and come out of it a better person for it. He has a lot to offer in that sort of role.

Last edited:

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Sydney
I'm still not seeing how him retiring is going to save us his salary for next year. Isnt he contracted for next year and another in his favour if he wants it? Even if he calls it quits ( which i think he probably should ) then we still have to carry his salary.
- Merged

He is very well respected and popular amongst the players. An off field role in welfare would be a perfect fit for him imo. He has been through a fair bit in his life and come out of it a better person for it. He has a lot to offer in that sort of role.
I thought that only counted in the current season unless medically retired. A few blokes have run of to super league early and freed up can for their clubs, what's the difference in exiting your contact for no money. Interesting

Xzei

NYC Player
Inglis would still be getting paid if you couldn't walk away from your contract.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Inglis would still be getting paid if you couldn't walk away from your contract.
I believe the Rabbitohs needed to get the NRL to approve it ... They would have argued medical grounds as well

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I thought that only counted in the current season unless medically retired. A few blokes have run of to super league early and freed up can for their clubs, what's the difference in exiting your contact for no money. Interesting
I'm not exactly sure how it all works. Watmough, Matai and Stewart i think had to have their salaries carried on, but Inglis didnt. Being an out of form player on the decline like Boyd isnt grounds to have your contract wiped.

For all the Bennett haters, its probably all his fault because i believe this came about after the Dragons signed up Gasnier on minimum wage on the proviso the following year he got paid his market value, then he promptly retired and they got out of it.

Xzei

NYC Player
Im certain that south's only carry like 300k of inglis this year on the cap and the only reason the had to get nrl approval was his job at the club that he was given.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
The fucked thing is if we were a scum club we would just play the mental health card. Something tells me we're going to do everything by the book though, because these days we love shooting ourselves in the foot for some reason.

heartly87

QCup Player
I think he is just saying don't take up you player option mate. It frees up around 800k for the year all those guys are off contract. I personally think Boyd will finish up end of next year and not take up his option. If he is going this year the club/coach already knows and it could be why he hasn't been dropped.

LGH

NYC Player
Am I the only one who got their hopes up hoping this was about retiring at the end of this year only to be disappointed that we’ll have this plodder on the books for at least another year? 😡

The Strapper

QCup Player
I think he is just saying don't take up you player option mate. It frees up around 800k for the year all those guys are off contract. I personally think Boyd will finish up end of next year and not take up his option. If he is going this year the club/coach already knows and it could be why he hasn't been dropped.
Agree. If he was going this year I think it already would have been announced.
Best case scenario is he doesn’t take up his option for 2021. If that is going to happen it needs to happen soon so we can tie up Fifita as he will be getting lots of big offers from Nov 1.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
If he does not take up his option, there is no contract for 2021, therefore theoretically, why can't the club employ him in an off-field role without that money going onto the salary cap? Same thing with McCullough?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter