Boyd wants Roberts for Roos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS skipper Darius Boyd has called for James Roberts to be picked for Australia, saying ‘The Jet’ can be the X-factor that helps the Kangaroos to World Cup glory.

Boyd’s stance was supported by former Queensland and Test centre Steve Renouf, who believes Roberts has developed the consistency to warrant promotion to the representative arena.

Origin duo Will Chambers and Josh Dugan are Australia’s incumbent centres, but Boyd says Roberts would be a perfect addition to the Kangaroos’ 24-man squad for the showpiece tournament.

Test coach Mal Meninga says he is monitoring Roberts and the Broncos ace can press his claims by outpointing former NSW centre Michael Jennings in Friday’s clash against the Eels at ANZ Stadium.

“Hopefully James can keep his form up and get a gig in the World Cup,” said Boyd, Australia’s fullback incumbent.

“If I played centre, I wouldn’t want to mark him, that’s for sure.

“James is too good to just be an NRL player.

“Often sides who go close to the grand final often make those end-of-year Australian squads so hopefully the Broncos can help him out.

“He is a talented guy who wouldn’t look out of place in the Test side, but I guess the final decision is up to Mal and the Australian selectors.”

Broncos legend Renouf, whose brilliant try famously buried Great Britain in the 1992 World Cup final, said Roberts is ready for a green-and-gold baptism.

“If he is playing well in the finals and is fit, they should pick him for the World Cup,” Renouf said.

“If he keeps his form up, why not give him a chance? Pick him in the Australian squad.

“James wouldn’t let anyone down. It would be good for his confidence and I think Roberts is ready to go to the next level.

“I can’t believe NSW didn’t pick him in their Origin side this year. We haven’t seen the best of James yet. He gives me goosebumps when I watch him and he would excel playing around better players in the Australian side.”

Roberts has scored 13 tries from 17 games this season and Broncos coach Wayne Bennett yesterday blasted Blues hierarchy for denying him a maiden Origin jumper.

“NSW will wake up to themselves one day,” he said.

“He just does special things and his discipline is so much better now, he makes better decisions defensively. He is ready to go to that next level — someone just has to tell him he’s in the team.

“I love the fact that he excites people when he gets the ball. The kids all want to meet with him and see him, they all call him Jimmy the Jet.

“That’s what footy is about to me. He brings that unpredictability and strike that only the great players have ever done.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/161ef1535b399edb0281d9738e953130

He should be in the side with Chambers. I can't name anybody else that is a better option.

1. Slater
2. Gagai
3. Chambers
4. ??? / Boyd
5. Boyd/Holmes

He will probably be selected but he will only play when Mal is giving the first choice players a rest.

Dugan and Ferguson will take the right centre and wing spot.

He will probably be selected but he will only play when Mal is giving the first choice players a rest.

Mal said the squad will be picked on form not loyalty like the one off tests. On form I don't know how Dugan and Ferguson get picked let alone make the squad

Roberts was completely snubbed with origin, but through the year he did have his mishaps so I can see why. If he stays on this good current path with his good living. Roberts will be playing representative footy in no time. So I think this year Roberts shouldn't be picked for Roos but different story for next year.

Those two are the biggest rep myths running around. Worse than Pearce IMO.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Culhwch
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.