NEWS Breaking: Post round 2 to be played behind closed doors

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Peter Badel, David Riccio, Nick Walshaw, in The Courier-Mail:

“We’ve listened to the authorities who are in a far better position than we are,” said NRL CEO Todd Greenberg. If the government gave us advice today to close the stadiums down we would have. The measures they’re putting together are precautionary measures."

“It’s going to have significant financial impacts on all 16 clubs and the game. We’re in unprecedented times. If they’re in financial difficulty we’ll keep them afloat. We’ll get through this together. All 16 clubs are in the same position and listening to the same advice and getting into an alignment for this weekend’s games."

“If players are presenting with flu-like symptoms, we want all players tested. The priority is around those athletes and making sure they’re not affected. We’re going to have to do specific work with the Warriors given their travel. Concern is about their athletes. There’s an individual plan for the Warriors & we’re working with them on that. Ultimately, if one of our players does get that and it means a club can’t play a game, we’ll deal with those situations. If that means we make games up or change the draw, we’ll do that.”

“It’s changed so dramatically over the past 24-hours and some of these decisions are not in our hands,’’ V’landys said. Once we receive the advice from the government this afternoon we’ll advise of the next step.’’

”The commission’s main focus is making sure the clubs are financially sound and what we have to do to make that happen,” he said. ”We are victims of circumstances here and naturally we want to keep the 16 NRL clubs financially whole. My efforts have been to look at how we do that with the funds we have available. Our management team has been working on the different financial scenarios and the implications for the NRL clubs of this coronavirus.”

”We are looking at financial aid right now and we will call on special means from the Commission if required,” he said. I am looking at financial grants to clubs to ensure their viability and make sure they meet their obligations. We don’t know the exact amount, that’s part of our analysis and what each club requires, but it will be significant given all clubs would require assistance.”

McHunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed we won't have the home advantage over souffs next weekend. No doubt we will have to play them in Sydney in front of a packed stadium (later in the year) with them booing the shit out of us.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how teams become hampered by their roster catching the virus and being unable to play.

Knowing the form of teh Storm, I would not put it past them to play their superstars even when they know they are infected.

Welp, if nothing else, at least we don't have to worry about the Suncorp atmosphere firing our opposition up on us this year

I say we fill the stadium with mannequins in our jersey and have the loudspeakers playing appropriate crowd noises. We can even set some of the mannequins up doing these ones.

ImpoliteGlossyBettong-size_restricted.gif

So do we have to pay it at Suncorp... seems like a big expense for no return... could we use dolphin oval or langlands park for example??

So do we have to pay it at Suncorp... seems like a big expense for no return... could we use dolphin oval or langlands park for example??
This was my thoughts and also, why not let say 490 members attend?

Dear Members,

You would have heard by now that the NRL season will be affected by today’s government announcements commencing this Monday 16th March. The Federal Government have this afternoon advised against all non-essential public gatherings over 500 people.

We’re awaiting further advice from the NRL which we anticipate early next week. On this basis, we are not yet in a position to provide further information to Members,so we appreciate your patience while we work through this unprecedented situation.

Now, as much as ever, we value your constant support and understanding. Rugby League is known for its resilience and we know we will work through this together.

We would ask that you hold tight and await further information, as we won’t be able to provide answers over the phone or email at this point.

We will be in touch again via email next week.

Kind regards,

Broncos Membership Team

Seems kind of stupid to me that it's all okay to have proper crowds this weekend, and then we'll get serious about it next weekend - like they think coronavirus is having a weekend away in the Bahamas or some shit.

Sooner the better, I'd have thought. But heck, what do I know.

I highly doubt this will go ahead, if any player tests positive it's season over for a few months.

English Premier League has been suspended until April... there's a lot more money and vested interests in that than the NRL. If they can stop, surely the NRL can too.

English Premier League has been suspended until April... there's a lot more money and vested interests in that than the NRL. If they can stop, surely the NRL can too.

While I'm sure the NRL can, I would think the EPL has a whole shitload more money behind it.

I had to laugh at channel nine during the game last night ...

They advertised (during the coverage, not an ad) the magic round ... then said tickets were on sale "now"

this happened a few hours after the NRL locked all spectators out of matches until further notice, lol.

the commentator did seem to hesitate for a second before finishing the promo though

I had to laugh at channel nine during the game last night ...

They advertised (during the coverage, not an ad) the magic round ... then said tickets were on sale "now"

this happened a few hours after the NRL locked all spectators out of matches until further notice, lol.

the commentator did seem to hesitate for a second before finishing the promo though

Yeah but I’ve already bought my tickets.
Could be the only use I’ll have for them is if I can’t get any more dunny paper.

The NRL have announced that at this stage, round 2 will continue, being played behind closed doors.

The Warriors will be basing themselves in Australia (At Kingscliff), although Peta Hiku and Patrick Herbert have returned to NZ for family reasons

I admire the NRL for hanging in there even though the inevitable will happen sooner rather than later. The already struggling sport will be crippled financially due to the impending closure and the impact of the virus will be felt for many years as far as the NRL is concerned.

Active Now

• Organix
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Mr Fourex
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.