Brisbane Broncos matches

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Let's see if this stays up long.

I've found a guy that sells a whole bunch of Rugby League games and he has quite a collection of old Broncos games which I will be getting to build my collection. Anyway, this game between the Broncos and the Raiders is the latest game I've got from him so I decided to upload it for everyone to enjoy.

I don't know why and I know they don't hit as hard or play the ball as quick but this game looks so much better than whats on offer today. Watching all those bodies in motion for the broncos with offloads constantly being supported, and the energy they seemed to put into every play makes me nostalgic.

I don't know why and I know they don't hit as hard or play the ball as quick but this game looks so much better than whats on offer today. Watching all those bodies in motion for the broncos with offloads constantly being supported, and the energy they seemed to put into every play makes me nostalgic.

It's not just the lack of wrestling, it's the lack of hands in the ruck. When the ref calls held, because the tacklers haven't twisted themselves around the player and the ball, they're able to immediately get up an go to marker.

The simple remedy here is that when the ref calls "held", the players have to get off immediately. If they get tangled, or have to peel off one-by-one, and infringe the ruck, too bad. Coaches will have to teach their players to tackle in such a way as they can get off immediately.

But it won't happen, because the refs will need to blow the penalty, and they won't, because they think "letting the game flow" is blowing less penalties, instead of actually penalising slow-down tactics out of the game.

Last edited:
Imagine if we tried to go from 5 metres to metres today with the current fear of penalties. We'd end up with a 6 metre ruck.

That’s because it was played in the time before Bellamy’s “Wrestlemania” fucked our game.

Replay of the Round 8 1992 match between the St George Dragons and Brisbane Broncos.

This is a game where we lost Kevvie Walters around mid-way through the first half and ended up going up another level and scoring 3 good tries to go into the break 14-4. But the second half is where we nearly lost it after the Dragons mounted a comeback and scored a try in the final minutes of the game to bring the score to 20-18 but were unable to convert which resulted in a Broncos win.

Replay of the Round 8 1992 match between the St George Dragons and Brisbane Broncos.

This is a game where we lost Kevvie Walters around mid-way through the first half and ended up going up another level and scoring 3 good tries to go into the break 14-4. But the second half is where we nearly lost it after the Dragons mounted a comeback and scored a try in the final minutes of the game to bring the score to 20-18 but were unable to convert which resulted in a Broncos win.

Spoiler alert 🤪

Just got two more games which I will upload.

Round 11 2007 vs Knights.
QF 2009 vs Titans.

So stoked that I finally got copies!

Round 11, 2007 - Brisbane Broncos vs Newcastle Knights

The Broncos were absolutely slammed by the media coming into this game. On Sunday morning if you picked up the paper you would have seen the Broncos on the back page with the words 'ROCK BOTTOM' in caps and clear as day. It angered the Broncos, especially Darren Lockyer. They made their feelings about it clear in a press conference before the game.

Needless to say, that fired the team up and they went into this game determined to make a statement and what a statement they made. You could see a noticeable difference in the Broncos in that first half. They had a spring in their step, they were running with more intent, players were coming up in support, they were playing footy. They had that hunger. They were looking like the 2006 Broncos.

It took a bit of time for them to really find their rhythm but once they did there was nothing the Knights could do to stop them and they went into the break with a 25-6 lead.

The second half was more of the same but the Broncos went up a gear. The Knights middle third was their weakness and the Broncos hammered that. They had so many options. Lockyer taking on the line with runners on either side of him putting the defence in two minds. Berrigan's speed out of dummy half. Hodges' runs out of dummy half and that famous step of his. Hunt's support play etc. The Knights just could not contain them.

The Knights could not wrap up the ball so the Broncos were just offloading at will and as a result of all that, the Broncos just ran riot and recorded the biggest win in their history. It proved to be the spark the Broncos needed to get their season back on track. Despite the 11-4 loss to the Dragons the following week, the Broncos went on to win 5 of their next 6 games and it looked like business as usual for the Broncos as they surged towards the top 4. Until Lockyer did his ACL against the Cowboys which effectively ended the Broncos season then and there.

I do wonder what would have happened if the Broncos didn't suffer the injury toll they suffered that season. They probably would not have gone back to back but I don't think they would have bowed out so quickly either.

Round 11, 2007 - Brisbane Broncos vs Newcastle Knights

The Broncos were absolutely slammed by the media coming into this game. On Sunday morning if you picked up the paper you would have seen the Broncos on the back page with the words 'ROCK BOTTOM' in caps and clear as day. It angered the Broncos, especially Darren Lockyer. They made their feelings about it clear in a press conference before the game.

Needless to say, that fired the team up and they went into this game determined to make a statement and what a statement they made. You could see a noticeable difference in the Broncos in that first half. They had a spring in their step, they were running with more intent, players were coming up in support, they were playing footy. They had that hunger. They were looking like the 2006 Broncos.

It took a bit of time for them to really find their rhythm but once they did there was nothing the Knights could do to stop them and they went into the break with a 25-6 lead.

The second half was more of the same but the Broncos went up a gear. The Knights middle third was their weakness and the Broncos hammered that. They had so many options. Lockyer taking on the line with runners on either side of him putting the defence in two minds. Berrigan's speed out of dummy half. Hodges' runs out of dummy half and that famous step of his. Hunt's support play etc. The Knights just could not contain them.

The Knights could not wrap up the ball so the Broncos were just offloading at will and as a result of all that, the Broncos just ran riot and recorded the biggest win in their history. It proved to be the spark the Broncos needed to get their season back on track. Despite the 11-4 loss to the Dragons the following week, the Broncos went on to win 5 of their next 6 games and it looked like business as usual for the Broncos as they surged towards the top 4. Until Lockyer did his ACL against the Cowboys which effectively ended the Broncos season then and there.

I do wonder what would have happened if the Broncos didn't suffer the injury toll they suffered that season. They probably would not have gone back to back but I don't think they would have bowed out so quickly either.

I remember sitting almost on the dead ball line at the northern end for this game. Had a Knights fan in front of me, who at half time declared, “thank f*ck for that”.

He was a good bloke, but little did he know, it wasn’t going to get any better after the break. Great game, perfect Sunday weather.

I’ll always remember it as one of those games where the ball bounced our way, but equally, we were simply far too good.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Spoon
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.