Brisbane Broncos table Anthony Milford richest deal in club’s history

He already turned down a much bigger offer to stay in Canberra when he signed with us.

I imagine if we're giving him 900k a season, he would stay.
That's because he wanted to be closer to his family but he is a big boy now and things change. He is going to field some very big offers, much bigger than what the Broncos are reportedly willing to pay. Obviously I hope he repels them all but I have seen too many big guns leave this club over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if he's next.

Does anyone actually believe the signing is over the line?

All we know so far is that the club is willing to make him a substantial offer and they're going to hold until the NRL reveals the new salary cap system.

It just highlights that the NRL needs to announce this sooner rather than later. If we're still in this position a month from now, we're not going to hear the end of it from the clubs or the media.

What is the hold up with the cap increase? The rights deals are all finalised and have been for some time. What's the issue?

There's been a lot of turn-over since the rights deal and the uncertainty over John Grant's future hasn't helped matters either.

Apparently all the major stakeholders are meeting at the Auckland 9s to discuss club funding and the salary cap so we should see more progress then.

Early speculation suggests that the salary cap won't increase to $10 million and maybe more like $8-9 million which could really hurt a club like the Dragons.

If Milf and Niko in 2018 are the half combo will it be the shortest halves pairing in the NRL?

Poss
That's because he wanted to be closer to his family but he is a big boy now and things change. He is going to field some very big offers, much bigger than what the Broncos are reportedly willing to pay. Obviously I hope he repels them all but I have seen too many big guns leave this club over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if he's next.[/QUOT

No way he leaves ! He will be looked after and family is important to him . Why would he leave if he is happy . Not all people are money hungry , plus $900k a year for someone his age.

Early speculation suggests that the salary cap won't increase to $10 million and maybe more like $8-9 million which could really hurt a club like the Dragons.

Why so? Do they have a lot of inflated deals still?

Well the Ben Hunt deal was put together with projections that the cap would be over $10 million by the time it ceased. If they're off by 2 million, it's a big difference.

Well the Ben Hunt deal was put together with projections that the cap would be over $10 million by the time it ceased. If they're off by 2 million, it's a big difference.

Yep sure would be. I guess it's an educated risk though since by the time that contract enters its last year, surely the cap will increase to $10 million or more. If not, we may well have another super league split on our hands.

Yep sure would be. I guess it's an educated risk though since by the time that contract enters its last year, surely the cap will increase to $10 million or more. If not, we may well have another super league split on our hands.

So what do the dragons do for the other 5 years?

Well the Ben Hunt deal was put together with projections that the cap would be over $10 million by the time it ceased. If they're off by 2 million, it's

a lot of contracts getting done at the moment are having clauses entered with tiered salary increases based on cap growth.
lets say BP is offered $500k for 2017, $550k for 2018 and $600k for 2019 with no cap increase provided from the nrl, however the clause will read if the cap increases 20% then the players base will coincide with a 20% base increase and so on for 2018 and 2019 etc.
this is where the agents have got smart but the players like thurston have got on board as well with the rlpa to ensure a chunky cap increase. there will be a shit storm on the cards here if it doesnt get to $10m..

Sorry, that came out wrong. Just want to confirm I hope this has fucked the dragons and I agree, **** them. Was just wondering really.

a lot of contracts getting done at the moment are having clauses entered with tiered salary increases based on cap growth.
lets say BP is offered $500k for 2017, $550k for 2018 and $600k for 2019 with no cap increase provided from the nrl, however the clause will read if the cap increases 20% then the players base will coincide with a 20% base increase and so on for 2018 and 2019 etc.
this is where the agents have got smart but the players like thurston have got on board as well with the rlpa to ensure a chunky cap increase. there will be a shit storm on the cards here if it doesnt get to $10m..

I thought they were trying to resist doing that any more. That's what they'd been doing for the last 5-6 years and it's bitten a lot of clubs.

So with news Broncos tabled a 3 year, $2.7 Million contract, I gotta say I'm a little worried... If Ben Hunt got offered $1 Million a season, Surely Milford should be on more than that, especially with the salary cap set to rise to around the $10 Million mark. I hope the Broncos are careful here and don't try and undercut too much... When I first saw the story I assumed it was going to be $1.35 Million a season with some reports saying he could command up to $1.5 Million a season with the new salary cap.

Time will tell if he ends up agreeing to the deal, but at this stage his manager is waiting until the 2018 cap is announced, which seems a smart move on their behalf.

It's all dependent on the cap. If the cap rises to $10m then they can ask for $1m a season as it won't destroy our roster. If it goes to $8m then $1m is way overs for most clubs to spend on a player.

Dragons haven't set the benchmark they were just desperate and put together a deal assuming the cap will explode if it doesn't increase substantially they will be screwed.

Teams and players SHOULD be holding off signing anything because a salary now can be over or under their perceived value when the final cap comes out.

Basically if it increases massively $1m may be a relative drop in the ocean

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.