Brisbane International *Spoilers*

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I haven't watched as much as I would've liked but I just finished watching the Clijsters vs Henin match. Clijsters won 6-3 4-6 7-6. She pwned Henin in the first set, but Henin made an orsm comeback in the second set. It looked like Henin had won the championship, but Clisters made a comeback and won the tiebreak in the final set. _woohoo_

Next year, I'm defs buying tickets! :mrgreen:

You can tell how genuine she was when she was talking about donating her prizemoney. I nearly cried. XD What a champ.

ive never ever sat and watch a tennis match. But part of me wants to go to a Brisbane International just to support a QLD event. is it worth it? have either of you been to a live international match?

Serious opinion to please.

I love watching tennis but I've never watched it live. I was going to go this year but I never ended up buying tickets. :-(

draggx, I think you will enjoy it because the atmosphere's pretty good (especially during a close match).

Yeah i find it hard to get into alot of games on TV and tennis is one of them. But nothing beats an awesome Atmosphere and im glad you pointed that out.

Im not gonna watch many games on tv but my interest in attending next yrs B.I has gone up after you mentioned Atmosphere. So ill see you there next year maybe.

I love watching tennis. I have been to the Aussie Open a couple of times and some Davis Cup ties. Went to Bris Int last year but didn't make it this year :(

It is definitely good value - this year you could get a day pass for only $9.90. This doesn't get you a seat in Pat Rafter Arena but you can move about all the other courts to watch matches all day. And obviously they can't put ALL the big name matches on Pat Rafter Arena so you can still see some really good matches (esp on Show Court 1). Not sure what Pat Rafter Arena tix were this year but my parents went on night. So yeah I'd definitely say go next year if you can (although as the event gets more established and more popular ticket prices will obviously go up).

On a side note, I was pissed that Ch 7 didn't show the women's final live. Personally I think it is an insult not only to the viewers but also to the players. I was so tired and had to work yesterday morning that I couldn't stay up past the 2nd set to see it through to the end.

The Womens final in Brisbane?

Thats a poor showing by channel 7. EVERY final of any sport thats played in Australia should be live on 1 channel or the other.

Yep esp as it was a sell-out. But they didn't show it live into Syd/Mel or anywhere else either. Not sure their reasoning behind not showing it live but there you go. Apparently they didn't show the men's final live yesterday afternoon either. It was scheduled for play at 2pm and was on the tele at 3.30pm - they were too busy showing some first round matches from Sydney live to show the Final from Brisbane live. But at least Bris viewers got to see the whole match of the mens (though not the presentations, have to see 'Creek to Coast' )- in Syd and Mel they cut the coverage half way through the 2nd set.

Seriously why do TV networks get rights to events that they aren't even going to cover properly. Sports coverage in this country is appalling.

Yeh its a major problem in Aus isnt it. Something needs to be done. Personally nothing beats Foxtels coverage of events when they are allowed to show them. Add foxsports to the basic pack so most people can have it.

The men's final was live Flutterby. The day's play at the Brisbane International started at 2pm which consisted of the men's doubles final followed by the singles final.

And yeah, I went on the Tuesday just with a $10 ground pass. Saw Thomas Berdych, an Aussie qualifier by the name of Matt Ebden (200 and something in the world) beat Jurgen Melzer (top 30 in the world) and a really close women's game between King and Petkovic, who are both inside the top hundred. So, the standard of play is very high and it's great viewing, tennis is much better live than on TV. Also, watched the likes of Henin and Roddick praticising on the outside courts.

And, draggx, if you get a ground pass next year, make sure you go during the first few days of the tournament because after about Wednesday nearly all the matches are inside the main arena.

You're not a fan of Davydenko are you ethos?

Boo. [icon_razz1

Yeah I like his style, great counterpuncher.

Should go well in the Aussie Open (although in saying that, I've totally jinxed him).

Flutterby said:
I love watching tennis. I have been to the Aussie Open a couple of times and some Davis Cup ties. Went to Bris Int last year but didn't make it this year :(

It is definitely good value - this year you could get a day pass for only $9.90. This doesn't get you a seat in Pat Rafter Arena but you can move about all the other courts to watch matches all day. And obviously they can't put ALL the big name matches on Pat Rafter Arena so you can still see some really good matches (esp on Show Court 1). Not sure what Pat Rafter Arena tix were this year but my parents went on night. So yeah I'd definitely say go next year if you can (although as the event gets more established and more popular ticket prices will obviously go up).

On a side note, I was pissed that Ch 7 didn't show the women's final live. Personally I think it is an insult not only to the viewers but also to the players. I was so tired and had to work yesterday morning that I couldn't stay up past the 2nd set to see it through to the end.

Ohhhhhh I didn't know what a day pass was, I thought you just walk around the tennis centre at a cost. [icon_lol1.

I waited for the freaking women's final to start at 9:30. Such a long wait and the game actually went on for 3 sets.

Yeah tennis day pass lets you get into any court except main arena (and also as Ethos says you can wander down to the practice courts too) - as long as there is a seat available. It's awesome value.

And my bad re the Men's final not being live - I was at work all day so didn't see it anyway but I know the tourny director and he had told me the Men's Singles was going to be at 2pm so when my parents told me it wasn't on the tele until 3.30pm I just assumed Ch 7 did it's usual crap and didn't show it live.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Hurrijo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.