Brisbane / Perth Sharks

Yeah this. If the Sharks ever moved to Brisbane I would actually consider getting a season membership just so I could boo them every game. **** that. The NRL should just take them over and fold the franchise.
Might be best to buy a handful of season tickets and not use any of them.

The Sharks are pretty accustomed to playing in empty stadiums.

Good topic idea, @Fitzy

Hard to tell what's going to happen with the Sharkies.

First things first - the current NRL administration don't give a shit about expanding the game.

We are taking a State of Origin game to Perth next year. Not out of any altruism or sense of responsibility in growing the game but because the WA government are paying us a shit load of money to take it there. The SA government is following suit and are hosting a game in Adelaide in 2020.

I expect others to follow. Maybe even overseas administrations so that's exciting and in a roundabout way it is giving the game more exposure. Within a few years I think at least one Origin will always be played at a neutral venue. Won't the traditionalist be gnashing their teeth then?

But don't be fooled it's about growing the game. It's the dollars folks.

Shifting the Sharks north to Brisbane is probably the safest bet.

I think Brisbane could easily support two teams these days. Queensland is the new home of Rugby League and has been for some time.

Don't expect the Brisbane Broncos to give them a warm welcome though. They seemed to take the introduction of the South Queensland Crushers years ago as a personal affront. It was one of the inciting incidents that led to the Super League War - which was initially spearheaded by malcontents at the Broncos.

It's one thing to point to the Crushers and say that is proof the market can't handle two Brisbane teams but much like the Hunter Mariners in Newcastle, they were never going to be given the clear air needed to prove their case.

If a Sydney team is relocated north, it will be interesting to see how the Broncos take it.

We have amazing facilities, a world class stadium, massive sponsorship and a huge supporter base. Everything in our corner.

Would they be threatened by an upstart? Would that be a tacit admission that in the last decade or so we've become bloated and meandering and just want to gorge on all the unearned benefits of a one-team town.

I'm only speculating of course but they've rarely had to fight for market share and we don't play well with others.

Or would they even care? Interesting to speculate.
The Crushers were corrupt from birth. Started with a lie, supported by liars and given favourable rulings and unfair advantage and still were mismanaged and poor performers. The Bronco's didn't give them a hand but didn't hinder them either. The Crushers had every opportunity to flourish, more than a fair go in fact. The city can support more than one team but that team's standard has to at least match the Bronco's or they will fail.

The Crushers leaders thought they only had to create a team and the point that they were different from the Bronco's, an alternative wasn't ever going to be enough to ensure success.

A second Melbourne team would be great. The Storm have completely revamped the League landscape down there, there are junior pathways all over the state, and as the recent reports have proven, there are ample 3rd party opportunities for top players.

How about the Melbourne Moochers?

Moving the Sharks to Brisbane is exactly the sort of brain dead, self destructive move that I would expect to see from this administration, which is why nobody should rule it out as fantasy.

Yes, blow the golden opportunity to fully take advantage of the Brisbane market by moving the morally and financially bankrupt club that Paul fucking Gallen has captained for years to QLD's capital city. That would be one way to bring those League fans in Brisbane disaffected by the BRL saga and SL War back into the Broncos fold.

At least in Perth, there is a bit more distance between the Sharks and their disastrous past in terms of public perception. Personally I'd be boarding the place up and putting it to torch, but if the Sharks brand absolutely must survive, Perth is its best chance.

TBF, if the Sharks were moved elsewhere, I reckon the playing roster would be completely rebuilt anyway. Not deliberately, but out of current players wanting to remain in Sydney, other players wanting to play in the future location, and some being lured as the "new" club's marquee signings. I am 100% certain Gallen would retire.

The best thing to do long-term would be to dissolve the Sharks and create the new franchise from scratch anyway. But I agree with @I bleed Maroon , the current admin are equal parts inept and corrupt, there will be enough dinosaurs making sure the Sharks still exist, and the handling is done poorly.

Can't decide which elseworld is more fascinating to witness..

Paul Gallen playing for a QLD club

Or

What would happen to Buzz Rothfield when his beloved reefers were shipped out west

Sharks won't fold or move. They'll survive and are in fact way better off than at least three other clubs down there. I think it's highly unlikely in the foreseeable future.

For the short term future (ie approx 5 years) the Sharks = Paul Gallen

You won't separate this in the hearts and minds of rusted on fans

For that reason alone, the Sharks won't work in QLD as no QLDer can tolerate Gallen

Active Now

• Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.