British clubs line up for Lockyer

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
WHILE the NRL focuses on Darren Lockyer's short-term future, Super League is homing in on his long-term plans following revelations at least five English clubs have made inquiries about the injured Brisbane skipper ending his career overseas.

Lockyer's manager, George Mimis, confirmed yesterday that "five or six" clubs had approached him about signing the Test and Origin star from 2010 onwards.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/br ... 02395.html

Also are the end of the article.

Michaels, a Gold Coast product, is also considering heading home after Brisbane's signing of star Melbourne centre Israel Folau.

With Test centre Justin Hodges also at the club, Michaels fears there may be no room for him next season.

I think Lockyer will head to England from 2010 to get a huge paycheck before he retires, and i don't have a problem with that. I really hope that we don't lose Michaels. Since Bennett signed with the Dragons, then media have been continually stating that certain players will be leaving, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Michaels is playing such good football. It would be such a pity to lose him.

I know ... play Folau on the wing! :shock:

rnabokov said:
Michaels is playing such good football. It would be such a pity to lose him.

I know ... play Folau on the wing! :shock:

Exactly! We constantly hear people bemoaning that we don't have a Sailor or Tuqiri anymore, Folau is a readymade replacement for them. Michaels and Hodges are great centres, but we have a bit of mediocrity on the wings.

Folau would fix that instantly.

Agree. Throw him on the wing. We need his strength and speed. We have centre's coming out our arse.

... and Michaels is, I reckon, really playing terrific football at centre.

Didn't he run around Folau last week?

It's not that simple though. I'd be thinking that both guys really want to play centre, that leaves us with 2 players fighting over one position.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Michaels leave at all.

rnabokov said:
... and Michaels is, I reckon, really playing terrific football at centre.

Didn't he run around Folau last week?

He tried to but got thrown into touch.

We have a real issue on the wing and i was also thinking Folau should play there. Our wingers really let us down on Friday night.

Good idea I reckon.
Everytime a high ball goes up to the wing in the past how many years now,we just sit and say "Why bother"There is never anyone to take the thing and we just don't score tries off the wing on the high ball.
All the clubs are onto us so our wingers get peppered.

I really think Folau would be wasted on the wing. He has a massive fend and step, which is better used in the centres. Putting him on the wing would just be a waste of money, as all he would be doing is catching bombs and finishing off tries. He can make his own tries, no need for him to finish off other ppls work. Ordinary wingers will be made to look orsm outside Folau so robinson, boyd and kemp will be fine on the wing. Michaels can go

Sailor and Tuqiri had a massive fend and step too. Were they wasted on the wing?

No. Folau = winger. For sure.

Coxy said:
Sailor and Tuqiri had a massive fend and step too. Were they wasted on the wing?

No. Folau = winger. For sure.

Yeah, thats why hes playing wing at the storm :roll:

Sailor and tuqiri, of course were orsm on the wing, but who knows how they wouldve gone at centre. Folau has proven himself in the centre position, and you want the best players in their best position. Folau > Michaels so seeya later michaels. If hodges went back to passing like he used to when he made Bott look like the best winger ever, we would be absolutely set. 2 massive centres that can step AND offload. Seriously, it wouldnt matter who you put on the wing coz all they would have to do is catch the pass and put the ball down. You try and tell me that Michaels will set up as many tries for Folau as Folau would for Michaels. Go on, try

Frank the Tank said:
How many passed did sailor throw in his career, 2? 3? No use having a center that can't pass.

And Quinn scored 3 tries against the mighty broncos the other day. Playing outside who? folau thats right.

Id be worried about Folau being wasted on the wing next year, if we had bennet as coach, but since hes sodding off, im sure folau will be used in his best position, which is centre.

2008 so far:

Michaels
Line Breaks: 2
Line break assists: 2
Try assists: 2
Tackle Breaks: 19
Missed tackles: 5

Folau
Line breaks: 2
Line break assists: 1
Tackle breaks: 30
Missed tackles: 9

How often does Folau pass? Rarely. He's used as a decoy to get Quinn over the line, or busts over or leaps high to take a bomb.

He'd be (and was) just as good on the wing as in the centres.

Not seeing a massive statistical difference...

Coxy said:
2008 so far:

Michaels
Line Breaks: 2
Line break assists: 2
Tackle Breaks: 19
Missed tackles: 5

Folau
Line breaks: 2
Line break assists: 1
Tackle breaks: 30
Missed tackles: 9

How often does Folau pass? Rarely. He's used as a decoy to get Quinn over the line, or busts over or leaps high to take a bomb.

He'd be (and was) just as good on the wing as in the centres.

Not seeing a massive statistical difference...

Im seeing a massive difference in tackle breaks, which is exactly why you would put folau in centre. Wingers dont usually have to break tackles, just finish them off. Putting folau outside michaels would just see us score less tries because michaels gets tackled more then folau would.

I would have Folau at center, but i'd still hope to retain Michaels on the wing... then if we get an injury in the centers he would be the perfect replacement

QUEENSLANDER said:
Frank the Tank said:
How many passed did sailor throw in his career, 2? 3? No use having a center that can't pass.

And Quinn scored 3 tries against the mighty broncos the other day. Playing outside who? folau thats right.
He was playing outside Will Chambers wasn't he? [icon_confu

I'd have Folau at center for sure though. My only concern is how he adjusts to playing at left centre from having spent the last season on the right. Hodges plays like a busted arse when you switch him from the right, so I just hope Israel's effectiveness isn't blunted in the same way.

Honestly, the amount that centre and wing change around during the course of the game makes this arguement a bit null and void imo.

Folau and Michaels are both quality players. Michaels especially has easily been one of the most improved Broncos in the past 12 months or so, and I sincerely hope we hold on to him regardless of the position that he plays in.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Griffo
  • broncos4life
  • Behold
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • mieko
  • BooKhaki
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.