Brodie Croft Discussion

This is another part of the reason i would keep croft over milf. Croft has time on his side, and a far lighter impact on the cap.
Milford has been appalling for us this year in particular . Never forget, 7 runs for 40 meters.
He has gone missing in 9 out of 10 games, Croft can do that, just much cheaper.
Milfs one good game in a blue moon doesn't cut it.
You're missing the fact Croft doesn't go missing, although I think he should.

I'll admit I was wrong about Croft, he really has crashed and burned and for he's own sake(continued shattered confidence won't do him any good) and the team's sake it's the right call. As for Milford I don't know if we have much choice in where he will be in 2021 unless we can unload him for someone really worthwhile. I will say though between now and the end of 2021 will very much decide his future at the club. We can't have so much money locked into a player who delivers so rarely in recent times if we really want to turn things around.

What happened to the days of good coaching and development to bring a player on over a few years...
Did Bellamy not do this for Croft over a few years. We didn’t buy him as a young project, we bought him as a ready made captain and leader of the team. We still need one of those. We have Dearden who is already better than Croft. We need to go to market and get someone better. A Munster or Keary type.

What happened to the days of good coaching and development to bring a player on over a few years...

Players get restless or feel overlooked if they haven’t debuted by 22-23. Understandable as the average career is only a season or so (I feel that average may be rising slightly) so they want to make hay at another club if they can.

Bad coaching can compound that feeling when underperforming teams or players aren’t changed out and you’re still sitting on the sidelines, maybe playing reserve grade unless you’re travelling but not playing.

Milford has been our longest serving half since PWal

Did Bellamy not do this for Croft over a few years. We didn’t buy him as a young project, we bought him as a ready made captain and leader of the team. We still need one of those. We have Dearden who is already better than Croft. We need to go to market and get someone better. A Munster or Keary type.

I know he was put in to the leadership group but there's no way we would have recruited a 22yo, who was dropped by his previous team, as a "ready made captain".

No way

Players get restless or feel overlooked if they haven’t debuted by 22-23. Understandable as the average career is only a season or so (I feel that average may be rising slightly) so they want to make hay at another club if they can.

Bad coaching can compound that feeling when underperforming teams or players aren’t changed out and you’re still sitting on the sidelines, maybe playing reserve grade unless you’re travelling but not playing.

Milford has been our longest serving half since PWal
Then you have Harry Grant, who patiently bided his time in the benchmark system in the game, learning from the very best, and as a result in his first full season he's now a Dally M contender, will likely make his Origin debut, and could well be a rep player for the next 10-12 years.

I guess it's harder to convince our kids to be patient and learn when they're learning from the Boyd's and Milford's of the world instead of the Cronk's and Smith's.

Last edited:
How has signing Croft fucked us though? We have no depth in the halves and if Croft is indeed relatively cheap, it's not exactly a disaster that he's on the books. It's just that everything looks like a disaster because the culture within the club is rotten and the coach seems to be a dud.

I didn't say he fucked us. Instead, as you rightly say, it's the context which determines meaning, and that context is the disaster to which you (rightly) refer.

I also believe we do have depth in our halves, even though we are using Paix, a quality emerging halfback, as a hooker continuing our tradition of doing that, compensating for our recruitment **** ups.

Last edited:
Munster imo , bronco follower as a youngster and exactly what we need. Could even put him at 1 if staggs goes to 6 , then imagine the tackle busting goodness we'll have . Oh and he's a Queenslander !!!

Munster imo , bronco follower as a youngster and exactly what we need. Could even put him at 1 if staggs goes to 6 , then imagine the tackle busting goodness we'll have . Oh and he's a Queenslander !!!
Desperate for Munster to come here as a fullback, just my opinion but I think it’s his best position and he’d be on par with teddy, the dude is built to break tackles.

Then you have Harry Grant, who patiently bided his time in the benchmark system in the game, learning from the very best, and as a result in his first full season he's now a Dally M contender, will likely make his Origin debut, and could well be a rep player for the next 10-12 years.

I guess it's harder to convince our kids to be patient and learn when they're learning from the Boyd's and Milford's of the world instead of the Cronk's and Smith's.

I also forget to add you have desperate clubs (including ourselves) throwing huge money at teenagers that are gifted with talent or size or speed but don’t perfect their game. Clubs also feel pressured to also play the kids otherwise they fear them being poached

He's also likely to come with a price tag that would make David Fifita blush.

I didn't say he fucked us. Instead, as you rightly say, it's the context which determines meaning, and that context is the disaster to which you (rightly) refer.

I also believe we do have depth in our halves, even though we are using Paix, a quality emerging halfback, as a hooker continuing our tradition of doing that, compensating for our recruitment **** ups.
How do you know he's a quality emerging half? Have you seen him play in the halves?

I know he was put in to the leadership group but there's no way we would have recruited a 22yo, who was dropped by his previous team, as a "ready made captain".

No way
We shouldn't have, but all signs point to that being exactly what Seibold has done. And the media were touting him as the "signing we need/ signing of the season"FMD. We did it. We shouldn't have, but we did.

How has signing Croft fucked us though? We have no depth in the halves and if Croft is indeed relatively cheap, it's not exactly a disaster that he's on the books. It's just that everything looks like a disaster because the culture within the club is rotten and the coach seems to be a dud.
Exactly. Croft is low hanging fruit. A soft target. He is very cheap and I have absolutely no doubt a good coach could bring him up to a very acceptable standard. I believe he has plenty of improvement in him and also I think he's playing on with a weak shoulder that needs some repair or rest. I don't think he's playing unhindered and there's plenty of others I'd worry about before him.

I agree Croft isn't in great form but I most definitely am not off him. I still think he's two years away from having the maturity to have a complete arsenal of weapons. I would make sure his shoulder is fully repaired/rehabbed and tell him I have total faith that he is still in an ascendant process. By the time he's 25 he will be going very well.

Not so much at the moment but he's not solely responsible for this miserable team (nor is DB)
....nor is Milford

you would agree?

....nor is Milford

you would agree?
I agree that neither is in scintillating form. Milford has had ample opportunity though whereas Croft has had just this covid season and a poor team for support. I believe Croft will eventually be shown to be an astute buy. We shall see but you can be sure, if I'm proven wrong I'll totally own it.

It only took 15 rounds but we're back to the 6. Milford 7. Dearden pairing as of this weekend.

Has Croft played his last game of first grade in Australia?

Active Now

• Justwin
  • unnerv1ng
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.