Broncos’ Sunday snub leaves Brisbane boss disappointed

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
NRL draw: Broncos’ Sunday snub leaves Brisbane boss disappointed
RIKKI-LEE ARNOLD, The Courier-Mail

BRONCOS CEO Paul White has expressed his disappointment that Brisbane have been robbed of any Sunday matches once again, after the NRL revealed the draw for the final six rounds of the season.

The Broncos have three Friday games, two Thursday matches and one Saturday appearance to end their season.

The club is often criticised for featuring heavily on Thursday and Friday nights, but White says Brisbane are not the ones seeking out those timeslots.

Instead, the Broncos were hoping to get at least one Sunday afternoon home game towards the back end of the season to appeal to their younger fans.

But they have been denied this request, with broadcasters having a large say in the final draw.
“Am I disappointed that we’re unrepresented in Sunday afternoon football again this year? Yes I am,” White said.

“It gives us a bit of diversity in our scheduling. It’s no secret that it gives families the opportunity, particularly younger people, to come to a game. We think that’s vitally important.

“There isn’t too many levers either our club could pull or the game can pull, with broadcasters largely having control over the draw.

“A lot’s made of our over-representation in Thursday and Friday night timeslots but I really want to let our members know that we are out there fighting for them.

“Hopefully next year with the NRL having more control of the draw, we will be represented in Sunday afternoon football and perhaps Saturday night football as well.”

White said the club did get complaints from fans and members about the lack of opportunities to see the Broncos play at home in the afternoon or early evening.

BRISBANE’S RUN TO THE FINALS
Round 21 v Eels, Friday July 28 (away)
Round 22 v Titans, Saturday August 5 (away)
Round 23 v Sharks, Friday August 11 (home)
Round 24 v Dragons, Friday August 18 (home)
Round 25 v Eels, Thursday August 24 (home)
Round 26 v Cowboys, Thursday August 31 (away)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/aa05e544216aff15a683d8637c8b39ec

When was the last time we had a Sunday game? 2014? It's a joke, and I'm glad that the club is pushing for them.

Actually for us people from the bush, Saturday games are best - gives us Saturday to get to the game & the Sunday to get home again. Don't have to take time off work.

Actually for us people from the bush, Saturday games are best - gives us Saturday to get to the game & the Sunday to get home again. Don't have to take time off work.
Yeah and Cows get that kind of timeslot just about every home game... how's a team competing for top 4 get whatever timeslot they want yet we can't get a single Saturday or Sunday home game.

Also the Thursday game timeslot is f. cking horrendous. How the **** have they let ch9 dictate to starting it at 8:00???

I have to hang around town for 3hrs after work and then it doesn't finish till after 10 so I'm not home until after 11 if I get a good train. The most ridiculous time slot at least Mondays started at 7!!!

Bring on the Friday games. **** Thursdays though.

38 000 for 1st vs 16th.

Of the 38 000, the demographics would have been a lot younger than normal which is important for sustaining the long term viability of the sport.

But the Broncos are so 'fortunate' they never get that time slot and have to keep swapping between Thursdays and Fridays.

38 000 for 1st vs 16th.

Of the 38 000, the demographics would have been a lot younger than normal which is important for sustaining the long term viability of the sport.

But the Broncos are so 'fortunate' they never get that time slot and have to keep swapping between Thursdays and Fridays.

A lot of families at that game. A lot of kids dressed up as their favourite superheroes. Broncos had a whole superhero theme, and it was very successful.

Hopefully when the NRL take more control of the draw next year, they will see that Broncos having Sunday games is good for the game.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.