Broncos’ Sunday snub leaves Brisbane boss disappointed

I was going to comment but funny enough he's disabled comments

I'm so sick of this 7 day turnaround bullshit. We've had a grand total of 3 this year! And funnily enough, one of those was Saturday-Saturday.

Round 19, 2015.

Yep the only game that year I could take my daughter to. She wanted to go all year and had to wait 19 rounds and could only go once the whole year. She had such a blast and the Broncos put on such a great family day.

I remember reading a while back that the NRL will have control of the draw from next year and that the second origin will be a rep/round bye week so the origin period should be less disruptive than usual. Looking forward to the changes.

I don't go to games, honestly I just can't be arsed after work to head to Suncorp. If we had Sunday games I'd love to go to them. Day off, during the day, get back home before too late, could take my nephews with me, Friday night is just too inconvenient to organise a day out of it. Sunday makes that easy. I think the last game I went to was a Sunday game, but they simply don't exist for us anymore.

Yeah and Cows get that kind of timeslot just about every home game... how's a team competing for top 4 get whatever timeslot they want yet we can't get a single Saturday or Sunday home game.

Also the Thursday game timeslot is f. cking horrendous. How the **** have they let ch9 dictate to starting it at 8:00???

I have to hang around town for 3hrs after work and then it doesn't finish till after 10 so I'm not home until after 11 if I get a good train. The most ridiculous time slot at least Mondays started at 7!!!

I hate to defend the Cowgirls, but their fanbase is spread massively over Central/NQ. I know of people travelling 200km+ to get to games - we have the population without out-of-towners so those people from further than Ipswich/GC/Caboolture 'don't matter'. Also NQ don't rate unless they're playing us or maybe Storm so Nine are happy to give it to Fox, and therefore Saturdays.

People just do not seem to want to accept that we don't like constant Thursday/Friday nights. We need Sundays to reinforce our fanbase. It's very old and if we don't keep kids interested because they can't go to games, we'll lose them to either other clubs or sports

I hate to defend the Cowgirls, but their fanbase is spread massively over Central/NQ. I know of people travelling 200km+ to get to games - we have the population without out-of-towners so those people from further than Ipswich/GC/Caboolture 'don't matter'. Also NQ don't rate unless they're playing us or maybe Storm so Nine are happy to give it to Fox, and therefore Saturdays.

People just do not seem to want to accept that we don't like constant Thursday/Friday nights. We need Sundays to reinforce our fanbase. It's very old and if we don't keep kids interested because they can't go to games, we'll lose them to either other clubs or sports
I completely agree that cows should be playing Saturdays at home for the reasons you give I'm just talking about the double standards. Cows want Saturday games for the fan base and that's pretty much all they get.. broncos want Sunday games for their fan base and haven't had one in two years now.

I believe our average attendance has been dropping steadily over the years and I put that down to Friday night games, which for me end up being expensive and I just can't justify it every second week. With the amount of Thursdays we get now our average is going to plummet this year.

used to love going to the football on sundays. many happy memories.

I remember as a kid reading my dads courier mail (ok , mainly for the comics, but the rest I'd read too, note no internet) with gusto. I don't remember such obvious agendas back then. I stopped buying them 20 years ago and reading them a few years later, around the time of 2nd gulf war when their bias became so apparent to even someone who was naive generally to such things. Who would read that article posted, and believe it anything better than a million other bloggers on facebook or a forum like this put out, eludes me. No wonder journalism is a profession under threat, if that is the standard.
Forum posters here gave me more facts and insights into admittantly one side of that argument, than Tyson otto, a paid journalist could muster as part of his paid job. Sad, just sad.

You should see all the fucking whinging on LU regarding our club's request for more weekend football.

These sub-human anti-bronco fuckwits cannot make up their minds.

Also I wanna know which shit club that dickhead journo supports.

You should see all the fucking whinging on LU regarding our club's request for more weekend football.

These sub-human anti-bronco fuckwits cannot make up their minds.

Also I wanna know which shit club that dickhead journo supports.

Should come as no surprise, they bitch and moan about our supposed 7 day turn around advantage, then when there is a push (Which btw has been going for quite a while by the club and been rejected) to change it they suddenly want to bitch about that too. Much the same as religious zealots there is no amount of reasoning, logic or evidence that can convince them otherwise.

Broncos’ Sunday shutout set to end from 2018 season

RUGBY league’s grand tradition — Sunday afternoon football — is coming back to Brisbane.
The Broncos are set to be granted their wish, with the NRL giving the strongest indication yet that Queensland’s flagship club will be allocated Sunday home games at Suncorp Stadium next season.
Broncos chief executive Paul White came out swinging a fortnight ago after the NRL’s scheduling for the final six rounds this season saw Brisbane again overlooked for Sunday action at Suncorp.
The Broncos have gone two consecutive seasons without a Sunday home fixture. By season’s end, Brisbane will have played only four of 72 home games on a Sunday afternoon since the start of 2012.
But Brisbane’s Sunday shutout is about to end.
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will look to accommodate the Broncos in the Sunday timeslot from next season when the governing body takes more control of the draw from broadcasters.
“The Broncos have made it clear that they want more Sunday football and we will do what we can to deliver that,” Greenberg told The Sunday Mail.

“From 2018, the NRL has more control of the draw but, given the drawing power of the Broncos, they will still be allocated a significant number of Thursday and Friday night games when rugby league television audiences peak.”
The Broncos are often criticised by rivals for being Friday night TV darlings but White has consistently lobbied the NRL for more diversity in their scheduling.
After eight home games this season, Brisbane are averaging 32,128 fans, a worrying 4.6 per cent drop on the mark of 33,692 that attended 12 home games at Suncorp last year.
Some long-time Broncos fans have cancelled memberships because of Brisbane’s allocation of Thursday night matches and White believes Sunday games at Suncorp can trigger an increase in crowds.
“I’m really pleased the NRL has provided that level of confidence and some assurances Sunday football is on their agenda for us,” White said.

“I don’t think it’s good for our club or the game as a whole not to have a Sunday afternoon game in a city like Brisbane for two years.
“We haven’t been getting any Sunday games so even one or two games next year would be appreciated.
“There could be a chance to have those games coming out of Origin when players are backing up.
“We understand television plays an important part and we understand broadcasters would like to have the Broncos on Friday nights.
“But people in Brisbane are crying out for Sunday football and some backing from the NRL would be a huge boost to our members and fans.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/broncos-sunday-shutout-set-to-end-from-2018-season/

I loved my sunday afternoon football even at QE2 Stadium it was great outing for our family growing up and would be more attractive for families to attend then trying to rush from work and school to the weekday games. The other teams can have more thursday and friday night games for all I care.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • mitch222
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • whykickamoocow
  • Shane Tronc
  • Tim K
  • phoenix
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.