OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

There’s a Broncos supporters Fb page post reporting Cobbo was in court today for driving unregistered, uninsured & unlicensed (car).
Surely fkn not.

edit: no idea if true.

There’s a Broncos supporters Fb page post reporting Cobbo was in court today for driving unregistered, uninsured & unlicensed (car).
Surely fkn not.

Yep, he needs a week or two off to set the standard.

Surely fkn not.

Tis true, Broncos statement out - happened a month ago

You can take the kid out of the South Burnett...

*Disclaimer for the bleeding hearts - not a racist comment in any way, I have a long family association with Murgon and surrounds. To be even more clear - I'm poking fun at country kids generally. I say the same to my old man and cousins who all grew up in and around Murgon...country kids do what country kids do!

Worthy of a fair slap on the wrist all the same. Time to grow up, Selwyn, you're on the big stage now son.

Next contract give the lad a salary increase in the IQ department and a good kick up the ass.

And no driving an unregistered, not insured car while having a suspended license goes beyond being "An error in judgement".

Player market values are increasing and it's only going to keep increasing.

The days of having players like Selwyn when they're already playing NRL and playing well on 300-400k are over. If we want to keep him, we'll need to be paying over 400k. More closer towards 600k.

Nah I don't like articles like this. All this article does is hype up the player and place him on the radar for other teams to poach and create a bidding war. I like how Melbourne does things, low key signings without much fanfare and announcing the signings to the media after the signature is on the dotted lines.

I'm pretty sure him carving up the opposition each week, and not the articles, is putting him on the radar of other teams.

He's already being hyped without the articles. The articles aren't really going to be making any difference.

English teacher here.

No. Set to means they are about to or preparing to do something.

Journalists should be above guessing games and making stuff up. Your boy is up there with The Mole if he's talking about rumours.
No, it's always a prediction. Nothing more.

If you read "Labor is set to win the election according to the polls," will you accuse the press of lying if the Liberals are returned? Of course not, it's a prediction, in this case based on polls, which are notoriously unreliable.

If you read "Payne Haas is set to sign a billion dollar contract," he hasn't done it yet. But they're expecting him to based on something they heard. It's a prediction, and one you've read a dozen times.

This is what "set to" means in the press. You can either choose to go with your literal schoolteacher definition and be perpetually angry, or you can learn to read the press.

The press is largely a prediction service. It collates some known facts and tries to predict what will happen next, and continuously adjusts its predictions as news comes in. It quotes pundits to help with its forecasting. Sometimes the journalists themselves add their own predictions and interpretations. This is called "opinion" or "editorial."

The notion that the press is merely a fact dispenser is based on no known facts.

Here's an example from today's Guardian (not owned by Murdoch) for you to chew over. Is this going to happen or is it a histrionic prediction based on the author's (ahem) "agenda?"

Rule of thumb: you can generally replace "set to" with "might."

No, it's always a prediction. Nothing more.

If you read "Labor is set to win the election according to the polls," will you accuse the press of lying if the Liberals are returned? Of course not, it's a prediction, in this case based on polls, which are notoriously unreliable.

If you read "Payne Haas is set to sign a billion dollar contract," he hasn't done it yet. But they're expecting him to based on something they heard. It's a prediction, and one you've read a dozen times.

This is what "set to" means in the press. You can either choose to go with your literal schoolteacher definition and be perpetually angry, or you can learn to read the press.

The press is largely a prediction service. It collates some known facts and tries to predict what will happen next, and continuously adjusts its predictions as news comes in. It quotes pundits to help with its forecasting. Sometimes the journalists themselves add their own predictions and interpretations. This is called "opinion" or "editorial."

The notion that the press is merely a fact dispenser is based on no known facts.

Here's an example from today's Guardian (not owned by Murdoch) for you to chew over. Is this going to happen or is it a histrionic prediction based on the author's (ahem) "agenda?"

Rule of thumb: you can generally replace "set to" with "might."
No

I set to have had dinner last night but I can't remember.

I am set to go to the US this afternoon.

I'm all set to finish work.

I told my fiancée I'm set to ask her to marry me, she is set to get excited and tell her friends

We set to go to town on this ridiculous explanation of meaning but we set to not.

Totally interchangeable with might, no degree of modality to the two words / expressions at all.

To me 'set to' implies an intention to do something.

I 'might' do something, I 'might' not. Does not have the same implication that I intend on doing something.

Set to and Intends to might be more interchangeable.

Set to as far as I understand, it's a description of something sequentially happening. For example, if I said "I was set to get in the car then there was a category 3 cyclone", my mind was made up until something significant happened which changed my mind.

Where as might is a way of saying that the decision is yet to be made.

If journos are saying he’s set to re-sign, then he’s re-signing.

Journo’s in RL will only use that phase if it’s happening.

Go through all of the articles in regards to player movements. When they say a player is set to sign, unless something happens that changes the players mind, they end up signing.

Anyway, I think this topic has been talked about enough. How about that Cobbo, huh?

Active Now

• Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Browny
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • mieko
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
  • Organix
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.