OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

Coates legitimately has some of the worst game awareness I’ve seen in a player. I’m sure he’s improving but he always looked like a gun athlete that’s only played footy for a month.

Coates looks like the big fast running kid who`s mates got him to play in his late teens .
Still trying to understand the game .

Cobbo looks like he`s played since primary school and has a bag of tricks . Some of which we haven`t seen yet .

Just waiting for the titans, dogs, warriors, rorters, or knights to throw millions at him.

It’s the same fucking story every year when it comes to one of our jrs and insane hype; it doesn’t happen to any other club on nearly the same level.

Coates looks like the big fast running kid who`s mates got him to play in his late teens .
Still trying to understand the game .

Cobbo looks like he`s played since primary school and has a bag of tricks . Some of which we haven`t seen yet .
Cobbo looks like a kid who grew up with a footy in his hand and would play barefoot on the road in Cherbourg
Coates looks like a city kid who's focus was athletes and fell into league because his mates we're playing

I Think we should send more scouts to these country areas like Cherbourg, Roma etc we could find some gems that are hidden away.

If Cobbo decides to stick around (and I'm 90% confident he will), him and Reynolds are going to combine like they did last night 2-3 times a game for the remainder of Reynolds career. He would be crazy to leave.

Cobbo looks like a kid who grew up with a footy in his hand and would play barefoot on the road in Cherbourg
Coates looks like a city kid who's focus was athletes and fell into league because his mates we're playing

I Think we should send more scouts to these country areas like Cherbourg, Roma etc we could find some gems that are hidden away.

And Coates , even with Craig Bellamy and the entire state of Victoria and all it`s AFL master minds still can`t teach him to catch attacking bombs .
Saw Xavier get his hands on the ball and drop it again yesterday .

And Coates , even with Craig Bellamy and the entire state of Victoria and all it`s AFL master minds still can`t teach him to catch attacking bombs .
Saw Xavier get his hands on the ball and drop it again yesterday .

He has caught one bomb like that from memory. His debut game against the sharks. He jumps high but I’ve never seen a guy drop so many bombs. His strike rate is horrendous

Suddenly Xavier Coates is a distant memory, not sure he comes up with the defensive play that Cobbo did last night.

His loyalty is going to be tested though, there are going to be teams that see this guy as the future of whatever team he plays for, he's got it all and at such a young age too. I can see a team coming in with a huge offer given where he is at in his career just to get him to their club.

I definitely think he’s a better player than Coates. Coates has a slight edge in the air (which he rarely holds on to the ball anyway) but Cobbo is far superior defensively.

Kick returns ; Selwyn makes post contact metres . Xavier gets pushed back wards .

Selwyn has better eye hand co ordination . Can play right or left . Wing / FB / centre .

Xavier only on the right wing .

Selwyn has more positives .
It really stuck out for me last night, Coates has looked good at times such as finishing off Storm backline plays against a broken Warriors side, but when his team were hard up against it and struggling to get any field position he did nothing. 5 runs for 35 metres and wasn't even getting in position for a run while Olam was lining up again and again. It really doesn't feel like Cobbo would shirk his duty like that.

He has caught one bomb like that from memory. His debut game against the sharks. He jumps high but I’ve never seen a guy drop so many bombs. His strike rate is horrendous
He's dropped more bombs than the Memphis Belle.

Still a bit of a one-trick pony. Has huge room for development though. Don't think he's getting that at the storm.

It really stuck out for me last night, Coates has looked good at times such as finishing off Storm backline plays against a broken Warriors side, but when his team were hard up against it and struggling to get any field position he did nothing. 5 runs for 35 metres and wasn't even getting in position for a run while Olam was lining up again and again. It really doesn't feel like Cobbo would shirk his duty like that.
It looks like Coates' heart isn't it in down there to be honest. This is the kid who was in tears receiving his Broncos jersey a couple of years ago. He may be regretting his decision to leave given how well we're going at the moment. But in any case, he has not improved in any facet this year. Still jamming in, still can't catch.

It looks like Coates' heart isn't it in down there to be honest. This is the kid who was in tears receiving his Broncos jersey a couple of years ago. He may be regretting his decision to leave given how well we're going at the moment. But in any case, he has not improved in any facet this year. Still jamming in, still can't catch.
He re-signed for an extra 2 years after spending 5 minutes down there. He seems so immature to me, impulsive and emotional, saying things he thinks people want to hear. I'm guessing he will love it for a year then miss his family too much if they don't win a premiership every year. He will play for dolphins or titans later on in his career I guarantee it. He won't play for us, it'd be an admission of being wrong in a teenagers brain, and it'd be a huge step back for us now

He re-signed for an extra 2 years after spending 5 minutes down there. He seems so immature to me, impulsive and emotional, saying things he thinks people want to hear. I'm guessing he will love it for a year then miss his family too much if they don't win a premiership every year. He will play for dolphins or titans later on in his career I guarantee it. He won't play for us, it'd be an admission of being wrong in a teenagers brain, and it'd be a huge step back for us now
Yep, he seems very childish to me

Yep... and didn't he publicly plea for the fans to stay with the club and stay loyal they would turn it around. Then he pissed off first chance he got, now we've turned it around without him. Be interesting to see how the Storm go minus who they are losing end of this year.

I think the only thing that appeals at the Storm is the coach. Once Bellamy is gone they will decline. Slowly at first, then when they lose key spine players it'll be dramatic.

Yep... and didn't he publicly plea for the fans to stay with the club and stay loyal they would turn it around. Then he pissed off first chance he got, now we've turned it around without him. Be interesting to see how the Storm go minus who they are losing end of this year.

I think the only thing that appeals at the Storm is the coach. Once Bellamy is gone they will decline. Slowly at first, then when they lose key spine players it'll be dramatic.
They still have the games best spine. If they get the next coaching appointment right they’ll be okay. Billy Slater will probably be the next Bellamy

How will this place react if Walters is doing pretty good and they poach him once Bellamy retires? It would be so Melbourne storm to do it.

I said it before .
Selwyn is a tough bugger . He might have that sweet shy smile . But don`t let that fool you . He is a savage .

Folks here told me once he got to Melbourne Victoria with it`s wealth of AFL coaches he would fix his bomb catching quick smart .
They seem to forget we have an AFL team in Brisbane who taught Milf to kick ? Why couldn`t the same coaches teach Xavier to catch ?
Because that shit can`t be taught . Either you have soft hands or you don`t . Not sumpin you learn in your 20s . Nah it should be locked in during teen years .

Active Now

• Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • Scorchie
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • Harry Sack
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Foordy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.