OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

I'm sure you don't have to go back that far to find posts following Coates' flashy debut crowning him the next future immortal.

Give the kids space to develop without a world of expectation on their shoulders.

Has anyone ACTUALLY said he is a future immortal?

It's interesting how quickly perceptions change. A month and a half ago there were calls for Cobbo to be dropped to Cup, and now he's being touted as potentially 'the best player of his generation'.

I love Cobbo - he's obviously a shy kid but he's coming out of his shell in this team, gaining confidence, and he looks like he's having a lot of fun. He's strung together a series of exceptional games as well, but I think it's still really early to be certain he'll go on and develop into a consistent superstar in the spine. An exceptional winger may be his ceiling, and that's not a bad thing at all.

If we are resigning him at a reasonable amount - not 700K a year, not on the same level as Staggs, but a fair amount based on his experience and factoring potential - that's an amazing win for us, and what we should be doing with kids like him. Let's let him play wing and maybe centre for a couple of years and reassess if he truly is the answer at the back come 2024.

I have a lot more faith in this coaching and management team that they will do right by these kids in the majority of cases, and that gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Its all about form though. He didnt start the year great and as a younger player its sometimes helpful to take them out of the firing line. Luckily he turned it around but no doubt at his age he will have another spell where his form drops again, happens to all younger players.

Has anyone ACTUALLY said he is a future immortal?

Go back a page or so and someone dropped a 'he may be the best player of his generation'. A lot of talk about him being the next great Bronco and Queensland fullback.

Let's remember he's only played four or five excellent games so far... on the wing.

Again, I love him and I hope he turns out as great as he promises to, but some people on here really need to learn to temper their expectations and stop setting themselves up for potential heartbreak or disappointment.

Haha, I should have checked who that was...

It is extremely easy to market him as not a panic buy though. The kid looks potentially the best player of his generation, is extremely marketable, likeable and with obvious parallels to the likes of Inglis, has all the hallmarks of a franchise player.

Haha, I should have checked who that was...

It is why I asked it. Amazing what happens when one simple word 'potentially' is removed from sensationalising comments made.

It is why I asked it. Amazing what happens when one simple word 'potentially' is removed from sensationalising comments made.
I don't think you are wrong though.
Who else has looked as good as Cobbo amongst the rookies recently? Walker? Walsh? Coates?
I reckon Cobbo is better than all of them.

It's interesting how quickly perceptions change. A month and a half ago there were calls for Cobbo to be dropped to Cup, and now he's being touted as potentially 'the best player of his generation'.

The coach was gone, Staggs belonged in QLD Cup with Cobbo..

Just BHQ being BHQ.

Just BHQ being BHQ.

And it’s great. We have a wonderful community here and posters come with an array of viewpoints. I’m never going to bag anyone out for being passionate, it’s what leads to some great discussion at times (and getting massively off track on others) and I enjoy reading opinions that differ from mine.

Every so often lines are crossed and outlandish statements made but then these are often owned up too and laughs had.

Keep up the great work BHQ.

Just BHQ being BHQ.
I don’t think any of those statements were that out of line given the start to the season. People can only comment on what was occurring at the time.

The perfect example is those saying Oates should be moved on, there was a time when that was a fair assessment based on his performances. Seems a bit silly now but that’s because Oates had a change of form no one could be expected to predict. The issue isn’t the original comments being wrong because things change, the only issue is people who are too stubborn to change their views when new info is available

I mean, it's called paraphrasing, right? Potentially vs may be are basically both statements saying he is not yet but could be.

In any case, I don't mean to argue with you or anyone else who passionately believes Cobbo will have a statue outside Suncorp in twenty years' time. I just think caution is warranted given the small, albeit impressive, sample size.

I like the thought of Cobbo moving to left centre, he tends to carry the ball in his left hand so it means we'll have two dynamic centers each with a savage fend, Herbie to FB, TMM to 6 and Mariner to wing for next season. Te Marie being tutored by Reyno for when he decides to leave means young Mam and Gray get given time to mature in ISC as Reyno's and TMM's replacements.

I see TMM as the common demonitor in linking our halfs' transition period. Hopefully by the time Reyno leaves TMM understands how and is able to steer the team around the park. I'm also hoping that by then that our systems and structures are so solidly embedded that the team is virtually running on autopilot.

The re-build is not quite complete, but I think we are only another season off to being where we want to be.

I don’t think any of those statements were that out of line given the start to the season. People can only comment on what was occurring at the time.

The perfect example is those saying Oates should be moved on, there was a time when that was a fair assessment based on his performances. Seems a bit silly now but that’s because Oates had a change of form no one could be expected to predict. The issue isn’t the original comments being wrong because things change, the only issue is people who are too stubborn to change their views when new info is available

It’s not reality though mate, Kevvie spends time with these blokes probably every day, he can see where the effort is and if it is or isn’t there and just on Kevvie, any Bronco fan actually sitting down and watching the team would’ve been able to see the better contributions from the team across the park, just because we weren’t winning doesn’t mean it’s not there and as a fan, that’s all you want.

We had that many things wrong with our footy team it was always going to be a gradual process until we’ve eventually got to where we are now, the answer isn’t to sack them all, it’s even more ridiculous because last year Kevvie was playing musical chairs with the halves and a few went on about him needing to give time to a particular combination and then he did that but then probably those same few were the ones calling for wholesale change.

Active Now

• Santa
  • lynx000
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.