Broncos 2020 Squad

The Isaako situation worrys me a bit. Maybe his fathers health and family life are having an impact? They weren't going through an easy time at all, he has the talent and ability that's for sure. Right coaching and environment he would clean up the weaker parts of his game and would be a killer fullback in broken play.

Last edited:
We shall see.
Dobbo warning (read with caution)
Stated Seibold has told him that both Turpin and Macca will be in the 17 for round 1.
Bird has secured the FB role
Isaako, Herbie and coates to play it out for the wing spot.
Reckons Fifita isn’t going anywhere

Dobbo warning (read with caution)
Stated Seibold has told him that both Turpin and Macca will be in the 17 for round 1.
Bird has secured the FB role
Isaako, Herbie and coates to play it out for the wing spot.
Reckons Fifita isn’t going anywhere

I checked out training today and was walking past Dobbo when he was doing his news report, heard him say that the spine of Bird, Croft, Milf and Turpin was locked in for round one.

Dearden is a numpty. Locking on first / second tackle. Straight out of the Ben hunt handbook. Can't afford to have play makers make such stupid decisions.

No that is out of the: ‘18 year old rookie playmaker backing himself during a TRIAL match in poor weather conditions with an opposing rookie edge pairing getting off their line fast’ playbook

Definitely not something to write him off over, if anything should be commended.

And I will defend Ben Hunt, he has a great instinct for the game and reads the defence very well but the poor bugger just can’t execute what he sees in his head as often as he should and because of that he goes into his shell when he is needed

I checked out training today and was walking past Dobbo when he was doing his news report, heard him say that the spine of Bird, Croft, Milf and Turpin was locked in for round one.

You ask any Broncos fan though and they will tell that should be the case too.

No that is out of the: ‘18 year old rookie playmaker backing himself during a TRIAL match in poor weather conditions with an opposing rookie edge pairing getting off their line fast’ playbook

Definitely not something to write him off over, if anything should be commended.

And I will defend Ben Hunt, he has a great instinct for the game and reads the defence very well but the poor bugger just can’t execute what he sees in his head as often as he should and because of that he goes into his shell when he is needed
Pretty fair summary. If you could combine Ben Hunt with jimmy maloney's mind set and mental strength, you would have a player.

I'm not completely sold on bird at 1 , happy to give it a go but I would also be happy to give isaako a crack.
Yeah I'm not sold on Bird yet either.

I think Isaako is the better kick returner (he didn't have many chances in the last trial because they kept kicking to Coates, and rightly so after he drops the first one).

I have as many concerns about Bird's ball playing ability as I do for Isaako... and I'm not sure Bird's been tested under the bomb yet, except the first trial against the capras where he dropped one that led to a try.

I think conditions of the last trial stifled any chance of attacking play and I can't recall too many set plays except one to the right which stopped when it got to Bird.

I feel there is impartial viewing of Isaako at the moment because of the start he had last year and the nines game where he wasn't even playing fullback.

I also think too much emphasis has been put on Staggs and Herbie being able to cover his goal kicking... Staggs is hopeless as evidenced last year when Isaako was out of the squad (currently at 66% for his career) and I think Herbie kicks around 75% in reserve grade and went about 1/5 in last year's trial against Wynnum.... Parker was about 73% goal kicker and I don't want to go back to that.

Isaako currently 81% for his career, not the sole reason to keep Isaako in the team, but poor goal kicking will lose games... I still have Isaako above Herbie and Coates on the wing if he's not getting a shot at fullback.

Last edited:
I'm not completely sold on bird at 1 , happy to give it a go but I would also be happy to give isaako a crack.

Same, not completely sold but if nothing else I don’t think there’ll be even a hint of our #1 not giving it his all with Bird there...

I think ideally Bird holds down fullback until Reece Walsh is ready for NRL sometime in the near future and then we let Bird go.

Same, not completely sold but if nothing else I don’t think there’ll be even a hint of our #1 not giving it his all with Bird there...

I think ideally Bird holds down fullback until Reece Walsh is ready for NRL sometime in the near future and then we let Bird go.
Niu looks not bad either, would like to see reece walsh play qcup first . Either way, 2 more exciting backs coming through.

Was trying to find someone who you could compare bird‘s playing style to, he’s not an Inglis, Slater or Ponga but I am hoping he can be a new Hodges.

Hodges, with his strength and competitiveness, was a our X-factor. When he played fullback in attack in 2014 he could barely run but he made things happen, we can only wonder what could have been if he made the move full time earlier on. Bird has very similar traits so I am hoping he plays to his strengths and has a good full season

Was trying to find someone who you could compare bird‘s playing style to, he’s not an Inglis, Slater or Ponga but I am hoping he can be a new Hodges.

Hodges, with his strength and competitiveness, was a our X-factor. When he played fullback in attack in 2014 he could barely run but he made things happen, we can only wonder what could have been if he made the move full time earlier on. Bird has very similar traits so I am hoping he plays to his strengths and has a good full season

I think Bird is much more like blended Hodges/Tedesco/RTV player. With the playing talent we have, i hope Isaako makes FB his own in the future and Bird to center. Bird running off fifi, Haas, Lodge and having a few nice kicks or passes from Milf and Croft will be hard to contented with. The same goes for Staggs in some respect, except from what i see Staggs has so much lower body power and hip strength hes much more like Renouf.

Wighton , hodges was a freak ridiculous right foot step , a huge fend (with abnormally long arms) , deceptivly quick , strong , competitive and read the game well. Bird - competitive, strong and reads the game well. I think bird is an out and out center.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.