NEWS Broncos adapting to ‘intense’ Seibold training sessions.

Err, I know you want to blame WB for Trump, worldwide famine and high oil prices but really? WB had SOME say in who he wanted but at the end of the day it was the board who decided contract lengths or at the very least it was a Bronco's employee at the administrative level who implemented and or decided these things.

It was plainly obvious, as you have pointed out that WB was on the outer quite some time ago so you cannot simultaneously blame him for player contract lengths and signings without applauding his skill and contributions in gifting Siebold a great team. The fact we have a stunning roster, widely and universally acclaimed is testament to his skill.

Siebold has said he inherited a great team and every single journalist has echoed that claim. Credit where credit is due. That said it is not perfect as everyone seems to acknowledge but hammering away at WB is not fair without balance.

Could I ask you not to bring politics into any reply to me? I am familiar with all the major works of Marx and Lenin. Have precisely zero interest in tweedle-dum or tweedle-dee politics.

Err, I know you want to blame WB for Trump, worldwide famine and high oil prices but really? WB had SOME say in who he wanted but at the end of the day it was the board who decided contract lengths or at the very least it was a Bronco's employee at the administrative level who implemented and or decided these things.

It was plainly obvious, as you have pointed out that WB was on the outer quite some time ago so you cannot simultaneously blame him for player contract lengths and signings without applauding his skill and contributions in gifting Siebold a great team. The fact we have a stunning roster, widely and universally acclaimed is testament to his skill.

Siebold has said he inherited a great team and every single journalist has echoed that claim. Credit where credit is due. That said it is not perfect as everyone seems to acknowledge but hammering away at WB is not fair without balance.

There are no morals in politics. A scoundrel may be of use to us simply because he is a scoundrel.

V. I. Lenin

Gee @Nashy, it would have been nice if I could have edited my own post to combine the last 2.

There are no morals in politics. A scoundrel may be of use to us simply because he is a scoundrel.

V. I. Lenin

Gee @Nashy, it would have been nice if I could have edited my own post to combine the last 2.
I wasn't commenting on politics, I was merely making a lighthearted point that you appear intent on blaming WB, our ex coach for anything and everything. Naturally you avoided every single important part of my post.

Yes. I should have been more precise. Our roster is good (I wouldn't go so far as to say 'great') but there are some problems with it. 2 excellent running 5/8s and no playmaker in the halves. This IMO is a really big problem.

A fullback who seems to be well passed his best and going downhill rather rapidly. Hopefully the new coach will be able to squeeze a little more out of him.

A hooker who is solid but offers pretty much nothing in attack.

A guy who isn't getting any younger, was injured all last year and is signed on big money for 4 more years. I'll be very interested in how he goes but my feeling is he should have been signed for 2 years max! Specially given the young players coming through who will be competing for his position.

In summary, Seibold has some hard work to do and I think he should be cut some slack for around 2 years.

If that is overly pessimistic for you I apologize but it's just my opinion.
No need to apologise. I said you were entitled to your opinion but I disagree with it.

V. I. Lenin

Oh, if you want to edit your post, try chipping in with costs for Nashy.

As far as I can see, WB hasn't left the roster in great shape. A lot of good young players but one of the worst spines in the competition and some veterans signed for too long on too much money (Boyd, Macca, Gillett) and some guys who desperately need to justify their inflated paychecks (Bird, Milford). Boyd fits into both categories.

IMO Seibold have 2 years grace period. After that, time to bring the trophy back to Brisbane.

Thats rubbish Reyter. We are a halfback away from being as good as any side going around and we have an abundance of top quality younger blokes with huge potential.

Thats rubbish Reyter. We are a halfback away from being as good as any side going around and we have an abundance of top quality younger blokes with huge potential.

IMO and based on the last..... (how many years now?), a halfback away is quite far indeed. How about Boyd?

IMO and based on the last..... (how many years now?), a halfback away is quite far indeed. How about Boyd?

Boyd has been fine up until he played most of last year injured. Don't try to rewrite history by saying he has been poor since he came back because he really hasn't up until 2018. He suffered last year because we just didn't have any viable option at fullback. Issako is nowhere near ready or good enough there yet. If he is fully fit in 2019, we will see a totally different player.

As for the halfback thing, its one player who will make all the difference. That shows we arent far away. Saying Bennett has left the roster in a bad state just shows you have a bit of an agenda about Bennett and really shows you are trolling.

Boyd has been fine up until he played most of last year injured. Don't try to rewrite history by saying he has been poor since he came back because he really hasn't up until 2018. He suffered last year because we just didn't have any viable option at fullback. Issako is nowhere near ready or good enough there yet. If he is fully fit in 2019, we will see a totally different player.

As for the halfback thing, its one player who will make all the difference. That shows we arent far away. Saying Bennett has left the roster in a bad state just shows you have a bit of an agenda about Bennett and really shows you are trolling.

Never did. He was very poor last year. Injured his hamstring the previous year but what did he do last year?

Never stated otherwise.

I hope you're right.

Go back and reread the message. I said "not great shape". A poor halfback alone would constitute "not great shape", wouldn't it?

If I'm right about the fullback, it would be heading toward "bad shape". Not quite but a few more under-performing players and no viable replacement (Macca, Bird), which may or may not come to pass, would be "bad shape" IMO. Certainly in comparison to the Rorters for example.

2quy0d.jpg

Hear, hear

Maybe I am in the minority but I like Nikorima at 7. Milford really improved his game last year too. Consistency was the issue the whole side last year. Some better edge defending and 5th tackle options will go a long way. I actually like the Broncos@$10 for the comp. Milford @$41 for Dally M is also worth a fiver or two

Never did. He was very poor last year. Injured his hamstring the previous year but what did he do last year?

Never stated otherwise.

I hope you're right.

Go back and reread the message. I said "not great shape". A poor halfback alone would constitute "not great shape", wouldn't it?

If I'm right about the fullback, it would be heading toward "bad shape". Not quite but a few more under-performing players and no viable replacement (Macca, Bird), which may or may not come to pass, would be "bad shape" IMO. Certainly in comparison to the Rorters for example.

He played not fully fit last year. You said he is on too much money ( which he isnt for a player of his ability ) and his contract is too long ( which if he continues to struggle it could well be ). He did his hamstring pretty late in 2017, he wasnt poor generally in 2017, or in 2015 or 2016 for that matter. You saying he isnt worth the money is based on one year out of 4. You are just focusing on what he bought to the table in 2018.

And one player missing doesn't mean the squad isnt in great shape. We were up and down a lot last year mainly due to a lot of inexperience. Even if Boyd fails to recover, we still wouldnt be heading towards being in bad shape anyway.

Last edited:
I'm willing to reserve judgement on the spine until we see Seibold's structure, which got Souths to no. 1 in attack.

Macca, Knik, Milf and Boyd have played under largely the same structures their whole first grade career with Griffin being a poor man's Bennett.

Macca & Knik Griffin and Bennett
Milf majority under Bennett (especially @ 6)
Boyd whole career under Bennett

To me they both employ defensive minded conservative tactics so it's hard to gauge how they may play under an offensive minded coach.

Calls on Boyd being past I think are a bit ridiculous. I think his backend to last year was very promising athletically and he could prove to be a serious weapon under Seibold given what he was able to achieve with Hoggman 2.0, compared to now with an actual ball player back there.

His use of Macca will be interesting. I find Macca is ok around the ruck close to the line often able to pick out the right forward for crash balls. Macca's issue has always been decision making and it sounds like (from 1910 and interviews) that Seibold could really improve that area of his game just by the way he talks about the game.

I think defence is the serious issue and given all the talk from the players this preseason has been regarding our defense it makes me think that Seibold has identified this as the serious problem area and has been hammering it into the players

With an improved defense and a potentially devastating offensive game this team could be a serious contender.

Last edited:
Maybe I am in the minority but I like Nikorima at 7. Milford really improved his game last year too. Consistency was the issue the whole side last year. Some better edge defending and 5th tackle options will go a long way. I actually like the Broncos@$10 for the comp. Milford @$41 for Dally M is also worth a fiver or two

For all the shit talking going on, it seems like people forget how crap we played in some games and yet still finished only 2 wins off join first place.....just a bit more consistency and composure when we came up against the bottom teams and we probably would have easily taken out the minor premiership.......all this with Niko in the halves.

Was it his fault we couldn't beat the bottom 8 teams consistently? If it was, does that mean he gets the credit for beating the top 8 consistently?

If we can improve on that inconsistency, which is natural and even expected for such a young team and will come with experience, I think Niko is just fine. Not the best for sure, but there is so much room for improvement with this team it excites me what we could achieve if everything just clicked and we put in a full 80 minutes of fire.

For all the shit talking going on, it seems like people forget how crap we played in some games and yet still finished only 2 wins off join first place.....just a bit more consistency and composure when we came up against the bottom teams and we probably would have easily taken out the minor premiership.......all this with Niko in the halves.

Was it his fault we couldn't beat the bottom 8 teams consistently? If it was, does that mean he gets the credit for beating the top 8 consistently?

If we can improve on that inconsistency, which is natural and even expected for such a young team and will come with experience, I think Niko is just fine. Not the best for sure, but there is so much room for improvement with this team it excites me what we could achieve if everything just clicked and we put in a full 80 minutes of fire.

* 2 points. 1 win.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.