NEWS Broncos adapting to ‘intense’ Seibold training sessions.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
gillettm-180512_gt_44.jpg

Broncos adapting to 'intense' Seibold training sessions

NRL.com

Veteran forward Matt Gillett has hailed the increased intensity of training sessions under new coach Anthony Seibold as the Brisbane Broncos target big improvements in 2019.

Gillett said Seibold's methods had been an education for the entire squad and was able to pinpoint the major change between training under the new coach and under former mentor Wayne Bennett.
"The intensity in our training sessions," Gillett said.

"Coming in and out of drills you know it is a lot more intense and faster. We are under fatigue the whole time when we are training and that's what games are like. We are trying to simulate game pace.

"Seibs has done a great job with the entire playing group. The three weeks leading up to Christmas was a learning curve with the way he wants to run things but we are all excited about what is to come."

Hooker Andrew McCullough insists adjusting to the methods of Seibold will be no excuse for the side not to start the season with the right defensive mindset.

The Broncos leaked 500 points in the regular season in 2018, the worst of all top eight sides, and started last year with four losses from the opening seven games. The losses to the Dragons, Titans and Storm all showcased Brisbane's defensive frailties.

The Brisbane hooker was quick to hit on the head suggestions the Broncos would take time to adapt to Seibold's coaching.

"I'd like not to think so," McCullough said.
"Overall we are working pretty hard now. We have got to work on our effort areas this year. We leaked a lot of tries last year, and you can't compete against the top teams by leaking too many points.
"Defensively we need to be right straight away.
"Is the ball work going to be right straight away? I'm not too sure, but the effort areas and key moments in games are where it will be crucial at the start of the year."

The Broncos were never in the top four at any stage in 2018 after slipping to 10th after round seven. The closest they got was after the final round of the competition when they moved into sixth position.
While only two points away from the top four it was Brisbane’s for and against, and in particular their "against", that counted against them from the start of the year.
McCullough said the squad would be able to adapt to Seibold's ways by adopting the right approach.
"You've got to have the mindset of wanting to change and wanting to compete and we are doing that at the moment. We are still eight to 10 weeks off [playing] ... but we need to get things right now," he said.

The return of Gillett from injury is set to strengthen the Broncos edge defence, which had its issues in 2018.
The Dragons targeted that area with great success in week one of the finals but McCullough said the Test forward's return, combined with the experience gained by younger members of the squad last season, augured well for the year ahead.

"[Gillett] has played a mountain of games for the Broncos, Queensland and Australia, so if you pull any guy out of any team with that reputation it is going to hurt, but on the flip side it was a good opportunity for those young guys to experience [NRL] a bit quicker than they would have, the Dave Fifitas and the Jaydn Sua's," McCullough said.

Source NRL.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for round 1. Pretty damn excited to see how we play under Seibold. He's an exciting prospect as a coach.

I looked forward to 2018 too but ended up disappointed and I'm hoping 2019 won't be the same. This year will be different because I'll be interested in three teams and their fates. Naturally the Bronco's will get my fullest attention but I'll keep an eye on both Souths and the Sharks, probably watch most of their games too. I hope AS brings us greater success and it sure sounds like he's focused on that.

Why were Souths so keen to get rid of him? Or why did they let him go if they wanted to retain him? Probably should ask eta carinae, he apparently knows what happens behind closed doors and at private meetings he never witnessed.

Brisbane Broncos getting to grips with new training and playing style under Anthony Seibold
The Broncos could be slow out of the blocks in 2019 following a playing style overhaul by new coach Anthony Seibold.
Seibold’s Red Hill revolution has begun with Wayne Bennett’s successor shaking up Brisbane’s attack and defensive structures.
The Broncos leaked 500 points in last year’s regular season — the most of any top eight team — and were thrashed 48-18 by the Dragons in the first week of the finals.
That finals humiliation at Suncorp Stadium proved to be Bennett’s final game in charge of the Broncos following a 25-year association with the club.
92ea6c79d1f273feb81690816585dd93

Anthony Seibold has brought a whole new outlook. (AAP Image/Jono Searle)
The Broncos returned to pre-season training on Monday following the Christmas break and have immediately moved into skills-based training alongside fitness work.
Seibold is determined to put his stamp on the Broncos, much like he did in taking South Sydney from outside the finals in 2017 to a top four finish last year in his first season in charge.
Entering his 12th NRL season at the Broncos, hooker Andrew McCullough said Brisbane would be a different looking team this year.
b077f18144eaf06f930595b2cac5dfe6

McCullough admits it could take time to adjust. (Liam Kidston)
“Every coach has got different ideas about what they want to do within a team,” he said.
“We’ve moved on now (from Bennett). It’s about trying to get our game plan right and a bit of fitness along the way.
“It’s a different coach. It’s human nature that (change) is going to happen, regardless of who’s coaching.
“It’ll take a little bit of adjusting but that comes with change. You’ve got to have the mindset of wanting to change and compete.
“We’re doing that at the moment. We’re still eight-ten weeks off (the start of the season) so there’s a little bit of time, but we need to get things right.”
55b82caad598469a3f0bc11ca63dd9b2

Getting back to full fitness is the players’ first step. (Liam Kidston)
A hurdle in Seibold’s way is the fitness of star five-eighth Anthony Milford, who is the key cog in Brisbane’s attack.
Milford underwent a second shoulder reconstruction after the 2018 season and is yet to return to full training.
Matt Gillett is on a modified program too because of a shoulder reconstruction along with fellow backrower Jaydn Su’A (ankle), meaning Brisbane’s edge defence can’t train in full.
Despite the overhaul, McCullough said he hoped Brisbane would not struggle early in the 2019 season.
d5df4e4b3c89a85420c72e9ff4173b42

Seibold wants to create a more intense atmosphere. (AAP Image/Jono Searle)
“I’d like to not think so,” he said.
“We’re working pretty hard now. We’ve got to work on our effort areas this year.
“We leaked a lot of tries last year and you can’t compete against the top teams by leaking too many points.
“We need to be right defensively straight away. Is the ballwork going to be right? I’m not too sure.
“But effort areas, key moments in games is going to be crucial to start the year.”
A key change to Brisbane’s training has been a lift in intensity.
Seibold is big on players training at or above match intensity to ensure they are better equipped to play under fatigue.
The Broncos also complete fitness drills with dance music blasting from the sideline.
“The intensity in our training sessions (has changed),” Gillett said.
“We’re coming in and out of drills and it’s a lot more intense and faster.
“We’re pretty much under fatigue the whole time we’re training. That’s what the games are like. We’re trying to simulate the game pace.
“The intensity has been good. Seibs has done a great job with our whole playing group.
“The boys have adapted pretty well. Training is a bit different but it’s been a good change. The boys are really enjoying it.”

Source: Courier Mail

Why were Souths so keen to get rid of him? Or why did they let him go if they wanted to retain him? Probably should ask eta carinae, he apparently knows what happens behind closed doors and at private meetings he never witnessed.
Seriously... take it to the other thread instead of letting this one get turned into 15 pages of dribble

I looked forward to 2018 too but ended up disappointed and I'm hoping 2019 won't be the same. This year will be different because I'll be interested in three teams and their fates. Naturally the Bronco's will get my fullest attention but I'll keep an eye on both Souths and the Sharks, probably watch most of their games too. I hope AS brings us greater success and it sure sounds like he's focused on that.

No enough, enough of this bullshit and stirring people up with what you know is garbage.

It is well known and well published that Souths did not want to lose him or get rid of him. The spent most of the year trying to re-sign him and got nasty when he rejected them because he wanted to join the Broncos.

Why are you doing this? What do you have to gain?

Are they just doing suicides and laps? That's all I have seen in the videos and pictures. I hope we don't get burnt out

Are they just doing suicides and laps? That's all I have seen in the videos and pictures. I hope we don't get burnt out

One of the quotes above says "We are under fatigue the whole time when we are training and that's what games are like". So I'm hoping they're still doing something like basic formation drills, ballwork etc as well, but they're getting worked over beforehand so they're learning to complete those drills under the same sort of fatigue that they get in a game. It's the logical thing to do, like ALSO TRAINING AT NIGHT LIKE WHEN 90% OF OUR GAMES ARE PLAYED, which I hope they do too.

Seibold focuses a lot on quick change over, so defence to attack and the other way around. The drills are set up so you're under fatigue and having to make decisions in attack and defence then swap. Do it fast and do it fatigued just like you do in games. But then he teaches you the right decision to make and how to make it quickly.

Change over from discpline is when teams get scored on or make mistakes. Every drill is fitness, skills, tactical, and mental awareness.

Last edited:
Seriously... take it to the other thread instead of letting this one get turned into 15 pages of dribble
Take what? You pick one or two lines out of my post, blow it up out of all proportion with your shit about 15 pages and ignore the rest. Besides, it's a legitimate question isn't it? If I can't ask a question in a thread about the subject of the question then what sort of opinion forum is it?

There's no mention of former coaches.

One of the quotes above says "We are under fatigue the whole time when we are training and that's what games are like". So I'm hoping they're still doing something like basic formation drills, ballwork etc as well, but they're getting worked over beforehand so they're learning to complete those drills under the same sort of fatigue that they get in a game. It's the logical thing to do, like ALSO TRAINING AT NIGHT LIKE WHEN 90% OF OUR GAMES ARE PLAYED, which I hope they do too.
Watched a training session before Christmas and they finished off with plenty of ball work with opposing sides. Can’t see any problem there.
Upload 2019 1 9 10 7 25

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-9_10-7-20.png
    upload_2019-1-9_10-7-20.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 84
Take what? You pick one or two lines out of my post, blow it up out of all proportion with your shit about 15 pages and ignore the rest. Besides, it's a legitimate question isn't it? If I can't ask a question in a thread about the subject of the question then what sort of opinion forum is it?

I get your frustration @Huge. There are a few on here (not many) who will twist and obfuscate anything you write in order to start some meaningless tirade. I treat them with the contempt they deserve and ignore them. Trolling, it seems, is a natural tool for some who have nothing better to do, or say. I know it's hard at times to ignore it, but for the sake of your sanity learn to engage with comments that interest you and ignore the negativity.

I get your frustration @Huge. There are a few on here (not many) who will twist and obfuscate anything you write in order to start some meaningless tirade. I treat them with the contempt they deserve and ignore them. Trolling, it seems, is a natural tool for some who have nothing better to do, or say. I know it's hard at times to ignore it, but for the sake of your sanity learn to engage with comments that interest you and ignore the negativity.
True and your point is well made. That said, it doesn't hurt me to engage despite the misquoting and obfuscation, the strawman arguments and lies. I watch the Atheist Experience on YouTube and this is often said to them and they are asked, why? Why bother, why engage? Their answer generally is to the point. They say, we don't engage to win an argument or change a callers mind rather we engage for the silent, the ones who never call the show but listen without trying to think on the run when under pressure, for the people who press pause and consider a different viewpoint without being hounded and pressurized. Lots of people read our posts on this forum and never comment and I want my views to offer a different take. I'm sure that's true of a few others too insomuch as they want to be fairer, to present less jaundiced views for the silent to consider.

Don't even know why I'm bothering to respond, but the subject of this thread is the players adapting to a new training regime. How does that at all relate to your questions of why did souths get rid of AS. Especially when there is already a thread going on about the circumstances of the coach swap.

I had no issue with the first part of your post hence why I didn't quote it, but the second part appeared to be carry on from the other thread which to me has become unreadable and I don't want to see another thread get railroaded into a 15 page circle of text walls.

Hence take your questions that I quoted to the appropriate thread rather than rehashing them here.

Don't even know why I'm bothering to respond, but the subject of this thread is the players adapting to a new training regime. How does that at all relate to your questions of why did souths get rid of AS. Especially when there is already a thread going on about the circumstances of the coach swap.

I had no issue with the first part of your post hence why I didn't quote it, but the second part appeared to be carry on from the other thread which to me has become unreadable and I don't want to see another thread get railroaded into a 15 page circle of text walls.

Hence take your questions that I quoted to the appropriate thread rather than rehashing them here.
Fair comment and you're right. I was wrong to include those couple lines in the wrong thread.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.