Broncos add 6th Queensland Cup affiliation

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos Press Release said:
QUEENSLAND Cup power the Burleigh Bears have joined the WOW Brisbane Broncos
in an affiliate club arrangement for the next three years.
The deal will allow Burleigh to tap into the Broncos’ extensive development system in
a professional exchange that will be of great benefit to both clubs.
Coach education and player development loom as the immediate benefits for the
Bears, while the Broncos will be able to dual register Burleigh players, creating a
player pathway directly from Pizzey Park to the stadiums of the National Rugby
League.
“We are going to get a lot out of this in the area of coach education,†said Burleigh
Bears’ chief executive Adrian Vowles.
“There will also be an opportunity for a couple of players to train with the Broncos’
top squad during the pre-season.
“In addition, all players at the club can be dually registered, which gives them the
chance to step up to the highest level of rugby league in the world - the NRL.â€Â
Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen said he was pleased to enter into the
agreement with a club as strong as Burleigh.
“The Bears have shown themselves to be a consistent force in the Queensland Cup
for over a decade,†said Cullen.
“We are very happy to welcome the Bears to the Broncos’ affiliate club family and are
certain both parties will yield tremendous benefit from the alliance.â€Â
The Broncos are also affiliated with Queensland Cup clubs Redcliffe Dolphins, Easts
Tigers, Wynnum Seagulls, Norths Devils and Central Comets.

Combine this with the fact Isaac Ah Mau, also a Bronco contracted player, played for Ipswich this year and we have 7 of the 11 clubs involved with the Broncos.

Only Souths Logan (Canberra), Tweed (Titans), Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters (both Cowboys) have absolutely zero involvement.

Ridiculous IMHO (see our discussion in the Toyota Cup thread)

Why can't all the contracted players for the Broncos form one great team like the Clydesdale sides of years gone by?? I'd much prefer to have one feeder side therefor I'd be able to support just one QLD cup side!!

Beads6 said:
Why can't all the contracted players for the Broncos form one great team like the Clydesdale sides of years gone by?? I'd much prefer to have one feeder side therefor I'd be able to support just one QLD cup side!!

Because it kills the QRL competition. Stacking one side.

Hammo said:
Beads6 said:

I take your point but surely most of them should play together to gel so they are ready to play together in the Broncos Jersey come Origin time!!

Put it this way. If they all came onbaord and played down at Kougari...I think it'd work well.

Hammo said:
Beads6 said:

Never worked before when it was Clydies or Norfs icon_thumbs_u

As for becoming Wynnum, they'd all have to get their teeth knocked out first for that to work, come to think of it Shaun Berrigan could come back and play at least [icon_wink

Now reserrecting the mighty Wests Panthers that would be a good idea _woohoo_

I wouldn't care where they played as long as they played together.. A team on my side of town would be cool though!!

The idea that feeder clubs kills the QRL comp is an absolute fallacy.

Redcliffe have still dominated the comp despite the likes of NQ, Broncos, Titans, Storm and Canberra having feeder teams in the comp. Sure, they have an arrangement with the Broncos, but that's more so that they can dual register their players with the Broncos without losing them. That helps keep Redcliffe strong.

That's what the Broncos have done with the others too, but they dual register their top 25 (with exceptions) to various clubs they have associations with. It's very arbitrary and the players rarely if ever train with their Q Cup team...just show up on the day if they're not chosen for the Broncos.

If anything that hurts them more.

People try and claim the Broncos killed the Clydesdales, but it was Broncos players and money that kept the club afloat for its last decade.

Wests can't be too mighty. They aren't even in the top comp. At least toothless Wynnum have fielded a team since 1951.

Weren't Burleigh a Titans feeder team? if so why did they switch to the Broncos?

They weren't a feeder team to Titans in 2008. Not sure why. Titans had Ipswich and Tweed.

Fecking annoying. It's good to cover the bases etc., but it sucks that we're spread across so many clubs. Great that the U20's get to play together, but frustrating that those older don't really get a chance to play alongside many who could become their first-grade team-mates.

Don't really think that matters so much Mick compared to training together at the Broncos.

Generally if the guys aren't picked in top 17, they will train with the NRL team until Thursday, then go through the paces with the QCup team on Friday.

gUt said:
Don't really think that matters so much Mick compared to training together at the Broncos.

Training alongside is one thing, but playing in an actual match is a whole new game IMO. Well, I think we're going to see it particularly with a lot of NSW teams, who now have juniors/reserves in two different teams.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manlyman
  • Browny
  • Manofoneway
  • Lurker
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • The Boss
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Spooky1013
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.