NEWS Broncos beast eyes $700k payday as two rivals clubs circle

Really though, what would it achieve as we would still need to pay them. Apart from Gillett, neither of the other two could retire on medical grounds, and are still under contract. Macca took up his option, and after next year i guess Boyd could not bother taking his, but we are still stuck with their salary even if we dont keep them here.
Eh, as I understand it if they ask for a release to retire we don't have to carry them on the cap. It's only if we want to move them on and they don't want to retire we'd have to wear the cost.

Eh, as I understand it if they ask for a release to retire we don't have to carry them on the cap. It's only if we want to move them on and they don't want to retire we'd have to wear the cost.

I dont think thats the case. Think that got stopped when the dragons did it with Gasnier, thats why Inglis salary had to get an exemption when he retired. Not sure of the details exactly, but it has to be some ongoing injury problem i think.

I think he should have been a priority ahead of Lodge as well. I actually think Lodge is a bit overrated.

I dont think thats the case. Think that got stopped when the dragons did it with Gasnier, thats why Inglis salary had to get an exemption when he retired. Not sure of the details exactly, but it has to be some ongoing injury problem i think.
Anyone got a cricket bat handy? Although, would most likelyend up like:

Tenor

Surely it’s going to take more than 700k to pry him away from Brisbane.

I think he should have been a priority ahead of Lodge as well. I actually think Lodge is a bit overrated.

Maybe if you compare him to Haas, but he’s a 23 year old prop making 160m+ a game and playing big minutes. He’s a machine.

Last edited:
Could be, could be. Only one way to find out I guess.

We really need Boyd and Gillett to **** off tbh. Allow us to resign Fifita and Glenn and maybe a bid tier half like Sezer.

Gillett is being unfairly chastised. He will still be a benefit to the team moving forward.
Gillo is good no doubt and we definitely benefit from having an experienced big game player like him in the squad. But if his body is starting to fail from a decade playing top grade in the forwards I wouldn't begrudge him the chance for a payday in England.

No doubt, Gillett is gun player IF healthy & I absolutely love him to be in the team but, injuries have taken a toll on his body. With the investment the club put into him last year and this year, they haven’t got much except the medical bills. Reckon we could copy what Souffs & Inglis did with Gillett and save us $750K until 2022.

As a bonus, if we could get Boyd &/Macca to **** off in retirement, there’s another $700K for 2 seasons we can save on.

With the above 2 scenarios successfully implemented, we should be good to resign Fifi, Flegler, Carrigan & Staggs.

Come on Locky, do us the smart things mentioned above!

Gillo is good no doubt and we definitely benefit from having an experienced big game player like him in the squad. But if his body is starting to fail from a decade playing top grade in the forwards I wouldn't begrudge him the chance for a payday in England.
No payday he could get in England is as big as his purported salary in the NRL.

Wouldn't suprise me if Wayne and souffs made a big play for Fifita. Sutton retiring, Inglis offf the cap and not re-signing big George - i'd say they will have money to burn.

Wouldn't suprise me if Wayne and souffs made a big play for Fifita. Sutton retiring, Inglis offf the cap and not re-signing big George - i'd say they will have money to burn.

wasn't their salary cap one of the reasons they aren't re-signing George

They bought Su'a/ Lowe to replace Sutton. I doubt they can afford Fifita when they have SB on a million and a few other highly paid players with blokes like Murray and Walker needing to be re-signed and upgraded; they're not the rorters.

Last edited:
With respect to Fifi, the club needs to remind him of Ca$h Taylor and Ben Hunt (and others) who have left the club to chase the cash

A competitive offer (not needing to be the biggest offer) and the chance to stay with your mates and the best young pack the NRL has should be enough

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.