Broncos boss the man to save Aussie rugby?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS boss Paul White and Wallabies legend Phil Kearns have emerged as possible targets to succeed Bill Pulver as chief executive of the Australian Rugby Union.

It is believed Kearns has privately expressed his interest in the top job – 22 years after his failed attempt to lead a player breakaway movement against the ARU.

Pulver announced on Friday he would step down as ARU boss, insisting: “It’s the right time for a change ... a fresh set of eyes and ears in order to take us on to the next generation.”

The fresh set of eyes could come from rugby union’s cross-code foes, with White being linked to the ARU post after his outstanding seven-year tenure with the Broncos.

Under White, the Broncos have become the financial powerhouse of the NRL, amassing a record $42 million in revenue last season.

On Tuesday, the Broncos announced a half-yearly pre-tax profit of $3.4 million, another increase on last year’s $3.06 million gross surplus.

Panthers supremo Phil Gould has labelled White the best administrator in Australian sport.

White had ambitions to be NRL chief executive before being struck down by a brain tumour two years ago.

Former mining executive and police detective White has bravely fought off the illness, completing chemotherapy and coming off medication two months ago.

A number of rugby stakeholders are highly impressed with the 51-year-old, but the Broncos are reluctant to lose White, who last year signed a three-year extension until the end of 2019.

White declined to comment on Saturday but insisted he had not been approached by the ARU.

Broncos chairman Dennis Watt believes White would be the ideal candidate to resurrect Australian rugby.

“Paul White is an outstanding sports administrator, heading up an outstanding team made up of committed, passionate people,” Watt said.

“He is someone who will always have options, not just in sport but in the business world generally. So I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the ARU sounded him out.

“But Paul has another two years to run on his contract here and I would personally advise him against taking the role if offered down the track.

“In going through difficult times recently through his brain tumour diagnosis, Paul learned that through his family, the Broncos and the entire rugby league community he had an entire army at his back.

“Having worked with Paul for seven years, I have no doubt he could do anything he sets his mind to. But if he was to consider taking on such a role with the ARU in the future he would need a similar-sized army to support him because their challenges are so vast.”

White earnt $704,057 with the Broncos last year and has previously attempted to negotiate a $1 million salary – a payday the ARU could not afford.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/dd6bb4ab888568679c7ad58cdecb2c54

I was just thinking, he must be earning less than some of the senior players. Certainly less than Wayne Bennet. Unusual in these heady days of mega salaries. Having said that, 700,000 isnt chump change. More than most of us will see.

I was just thinking, he must be earning less than some of the senior players. Certainly less than Wayne Bennet. Unusual in these heady days of mega salaries. Having said that, 700,000 isnt chump change. More than most of us will see.

I know it's an indignity but I'll sacrifice for my club and take the Broncs job for a measly $650k a year.

Yes but I can only come back if you approve an expense account for my man Andrew Gee. 300k a year + inflation should do.

We could always do a Storm and sweeten the deal with boats and cars. But even that would require some level of competency and going by that resume I was given and your just not qualified for it, nothing personal. Got any coaching experience? I hear the Titans maybe hiring, they are a club on the up according to the media down south and their standards aren't so demanding.

Last edited:
We could always do a Storm and sweeten the deal with boats and cars. But even that would require some level of competency and going by that resume I was given and your just not qualified for it, nothing personal. Got any coaching experience? I hear the Titans maybe hiring, they are a club on the up according to the media down south and their standards aren't so demanding.
They sweeten deals with kayaks and mopeds.

This is an area where we can use our financial muscle ...

If it takes a pay rise to ensure White stays... then it will be worth every cent.

This is an area where we can use our financial muscle ...

If it takes a pay rise to ensure White stays... then it will be worth every cent.
Agree. Absolute gem of a man.

He must have worked his butt off given the state Cullen would have left everything in, can't believe that guy was somehow CEO, what a useless, incompetent administrator he was.

The only downside of taking the top job in Rugby is that you would actually have to not only watch the the games , but also have to be seen to enjoy doing it. Would that even be possible for someone who has been closely associated our great game?

The only downside of taking the top job in Rugby is that you would actually have to not only watch the the games , but also have to be seen to enjoy doing it. Would that even be possible for someone who has been closely associated our great game?

They can take our game's CEO, he's used to watching boring rubbish with his own NRL team, he'd love it.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Galah
  • Bronx48
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • westy316
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.