NEWS Broncos coach insists Milford best at No 1.

I've always thought he was a fullback, but we were kinda forced to use him as a 5/8th because of Boyd and just a general lack of halves at the time.

I don't think his development has been anywhere near as good as we were all expecting. To be honest, in his best season in 2015, he still seemed to play more like a modern fullback than a modern half. Since then the Broncos have been trying to turn him into something he's clearly not.

THIS is just so spot on. Potentially one the very best FB's screwed, as was and is our team, because of issues nothing to do with the best player for the right position. "... because of Boyd" is exactly right. Pathetic. The fact Milf could play so well as a half simply is testament to his skills. How good would it have been to have our very own version of Tedesco instead of Boyd, irrespective of Boyd's quality, which was pedestrian compared to what we could have had.

Last edited:
Brisbane should of learnt from their failure to convert Barba into a 5/8.
Although they did a great job with Lockyer.

with Lockyer, it was more re-converting him into a 5/8.

he was always a 5/8, but we converted him into a fullback out of necessity. (not to mention our halves were set with Walter and Langer)

It really depends on the player themselves. Milf is super talented, but not in the same way Locky or Thurston were. Maybe his talent is better utilised elsewhere.

Milf was a half , not sure when he went to 1 but obviously in Canberra.

He played a mixture of 1 and 6/7 and canberra with a few games off the bench but was always in the halves coming up iirc.

I still think he was developing well in the position, up to the point that he was our best player last year.,

Pass on Maloney. History says he’d be an effective pickup, but I can see us losing some young guys because he’s there and/or he’ll be the exception and be Meme-loney his entire time here

I'm not sure we have the cap space for Maloney unless we offloaded say Bird.

I'm also not sure that the club is going to go balls deep and spend big dollars of cap on buying a player anymore, I think there has been a change in direction and will now look to invest our money in youth, bringing them though, get them earning our systems early then retaining those that we want to keep.

MILF and Hunt were on fire in 2015, they were one drop kick and one drop-ball (*cough "Hunt") away from winning the premiership. That's when they had Kevin Walters as the halves coach. Ever since Walters was banished into the wilderness, MILF has lost his way.

MILF and Hunt were on fire in 2015, they were one drop kick and one drop-ball (*cough "Hunt") away from winning the premiership. That's when they had Kevin Walters as the halves coach. Ever since Walters was banished into the wilderness, MILF has lost his way.
It hurts. If we played with 12 men in the last 5 minutes (Hunt sin binned or something) We win.

He played a mixture of 1 and 6/7 and canberra with a few games off the bench but was always in the halves coming up iirc.

I still think he was developing well in the position, up to the point that he was our best player last year.,
I have a feeling Milf will have a second stint in the halves and the move to fullback could be more about resetting his mindset.

Since at least 2017 Milf has been looking like he's trying to play as a game managing halfback and forgotten how to play eyes up footy.

A stint back at fullback could be what he needs to reset his thinking with an eventual move back to the halves.

Provided Dearden comes off with his halves play and can take ownership of the team I think Milf playing as a 2nd receiver 5/8 with his improved kicking and a reset back to run first football could be a lethal half moving forward.

I have a feeling Milf will have a second stint in the halves and the move to fullback could be more about resetting his mindset.

Since at least 2017 Milf has been looking like he's trying to play as a game managing halfback and forgotten how to play eyes up footy.

A stint back at fullback could be what he needs to reset his thinking with an eventual move back to the halves.

Provided Dearden comes off with his halves play and can take ownership of the team I think Milf playing as a 2nd receiver 5/8 with his improved kicking and a reset back to run first football could be a lethal half moving forward.

At his best, he is a great, great number six. It's a lesson Wayne probably could have given Milf a bit earlier, when it was obvious he was hesitant to run and was accustomed to just shuffling the ball. I like this line of thinking, but I'm also fine with Milf at fullback as well. Needs support with the kicking, but otherwise it works for mine.

At his best, he is a great, great number six. It's a lesson Wayne probably could have given Milf a bit earlier, when it was obvious he was hesitant to run and was accustomed to just shuffling the ball. I like this line of thinking, but I'm also fine with Milf at fullback as well. Needs support with the kicking, but otherwise it works for mine.
Yeah I'm happy with fullback as well, but that form he showed at 6 in early 2016 was dally m winner worthy... to me he was looking like the best player in the league and I think with the right mindset he can get back to that... Unfortunately in 2016 he missed out on origin (I think that dented his mindset a bit and you could see him drift out of games) then he dislocated his shoulder and missed a whole preseason in what was a very important transition time.

At the same time Bhunt was signed to the dragons and we re-signed Milf on big coin. I think from that point on the coaching staff had this mindset that he become the game managing halfback unfortunately that heavily impacted on his attacking play.

The good thing about his play in fullback recently is it doesn't seem like he's lost that spark in attack when given a clear headspace so hopefully he gets back to 2016 form again.

Last edited:
Walters wasn't banished .... He quit.

He walked out on us.

That does sound good. But seibs saying he's best at fullback doesn't really sound like that's what the plan is. Milf is going to look good at fullback because he's a gun footy player, doesn't mean its the best fit for our team though.

Last edited:
Walters wasn't banished .... He quit.

He walked out on us.
When Kevvie got the Maroons job, I recalled that he was still willing to help out at the Broncos but WB said no surree bob.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • Hoof Hearted
  • leon.bott
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.