NEWS Broncos coach insists Milford best at No 1.

When Kevvie got the Maroons job, I recalled that he was still willing to help out at the Broncos but WB said no surree bob.

then he came back and quit by round 4.

We looked horrible to start the season with milf and kodi and Kevvie put it in the too hard basket.
He obviously knew that; under your assessment criteria and sans surname Bennett, success is required instantly otherwise failure, without any chance of remedy, is declared within a month.

Safe to say the pressure must have got to him.

He obviously knew that; under your assessment criteria and sans surname Bennett, success is required instantly otherwise failure, without any chance of remedy, is declared within a month.

Safe to say the pressure must have got to him.
No. Wayne didn't want to let Kevie too close to our attack because if the improved it would of been because of Kevie and not Bennett. He is threatened by Kev, so he put him in a box

No. Wayne didn't want to let Kevie too close to our attack because if the improved it would of been because of Kevie and not Bennett. He is threatened by Kev, so he put him in a box
Funny thing about this is that Bennett normally looks after the defensive side of things, pretty sure he doesn't do much in attack. But yeah, make up what you want to please yourself.

Maybe Wayne thought Kevie couldn’t coach Qld and do his job at the Broncos so he punted him the first time. Then Kevie thought he could do both jobs so he came back but realised that Wayne was right all along so left again. I know that’s actually what both of them were saying at the time so it’s unlikely to be true but we should at least consider it.

Funny thing about this is that Bennett normally looks after the defensive side of things, pretty sure he doesn't do much in attack. But yeah, make up what you want to please yourself.

Didn’t wayne have his fingers in every pie for season 2017-2018?

"
Brisbane captain Darius Boyd calls time on Broncos fullback career
"

Darius Boyd concedes his days as a fullback are over, with the Broncos captain committed to finishing his decorated NRL career in the unfamiliar No.6 jumper.
Boyd, who celebrated his 32nd birthday on Wednesday, will chalk up another milestone when he equals Broncos legend Petero Civoniceva with his 309th NRL game in Brisbane’s clash against Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium.
It took 306 career games for Boyd to be shifted to five-eighth, but after 13 years as a winger or fullback who dabbled in the odd game at centre, the skipper is content in the Broncos No.6 jumper made famous by Wally Lewis.
When Boyd returned to the Broncos under Wayne Bennett in 2015, he was considered such a selection untouchable in the backfield - his official Broncos backpack even has the number “1” emblazoned on it.
Darius Boyd (left) celebrates scoring against the Warriors. Picture: AAP Darius Boyd (left) celebrates scoring against the Warriors. Picture: AAP But the former Queensland Origin ace could be due for a new training kit next season, with Boyd admitting he is unlikely to again wear the No.1 jumper in which he won the Clive Churchill Medal for the Dragons in the 2010 grand final.
Asked if his days at fullback were over, Boyd said: “I suppose, yes.
“‘Seibs’ (Broncos coach Anthony Seibold) wants to keep this (positional switch) moving forward and I don’t look at it in a negative way.
“It is a cool challenge for me to be honest.
“I have played 300 games, mostly at fullback with a bit of wing and centre. I had never played five-eighth before in the NRL, except in a trial game.
“I thought my game was good (against the Warriors last Saturday night) and I think I can build on that.”
The Milford-Boyd switch looks set to stay. The Milford-Boyd switch looks set to stay. His cohort in the “Big Broncos Switch”, Anthony Milford, plays his third game at fullback against the Bulldogs and Boyd believes Brisbane’s $1 million man can play for Queensland and Australia in the No.1 jumper.
“Milf has done some amazing things as a five-eighth but he has only played fullback twice this year and in both games he has been strong,” Boyd said.
“We ask him to do a lot because he is returning kicks and putting kicks in general play as well.
“He is only going to get better and has all the ability to play fullback at rep level too if Kevvie (Walters, Queensland coach) and Mal (Meninga, Australia coach) think he is best for the job.”
Will Boyd finish career at No.6? Picture: AAP Will Boyd finish career at No.6? Picture: AAP Boyd’s last-line defence has been savaged this season but he put his body on the line against the Warriors.
He made a career-high 30 tackles, including a trysaver on flying 108kg back-rower Isaiah Papali’i, and missed just one, evidence he has the size at 96kg and bravery to handle frontline duties.
“I have always liked defence and backed my defensive ability,” he said.
“I know there has been a bit of criticism around that of me personally this year but it’s not through a lack of effort.
“There were different situations in games where I know the reasons why (he missed tackles) and I have looked over some tapes as to why I made those misses or wrong reads.
“Defending is one of my strong suits, so I think I can build on that performance.
“There are no excuses from the Newcastle game but I did get shifted around a bit (also moving to centre).
“I wanted to get involved early (against the Warriors), defend well and do my role for the team and I thought it worked well.”

Boyd's days at fullback are over

Last edited:
Not at that stage of the year.
You're completely wrong.

I've always thought he was a fullback, but we were kinda forced to use him as a 5/8th because of Boyd and just a general lack of halves at the time.

I don't think his development has been anywhere near as good as we were all expecting. To be honest, in his best season in 2015, he still seemed to play more like a modern fullback than a modern half. Since then the Broncos have been trying to turn him into something he's clearly not.
This was a WB decision that I didn't agree with, turning Milford into a 5/8. I always thought Milf was a bit too small for the job and not that he didn't possess the skills. I demurred because I'd seen WB turn the bigger Locky into a world class 5/8 and couldn't condemn the great man for setting such a course for Milf. I feel as though I was right and WB got it wrong but the Sun shines even on a dog's arse from time to time!

I have a feeling Milf will have a second stint in the halves and the move to fullback could be more about resetting his mindset.

Since at least 2017 Milf has been looking like he's trying to play as a game managing halfback and forgotten how to play eyes up footy.

A stint back at fullback could be what he needs to reset his thinking with an eventual move back to the halves.

Provided Dearden comes off with his halves play and can take ownership of the team I think Milf playing as a 2nd receiver 5/8 with his improved kicking and a reset back to run first football could be a lethal half moving forward.
I'm thinking it won't be Dearden in the future but O'Sullivan. We looked reasonable with Dearden but SOS made me realise halfbacks play rugby league too! Zippy runs, control, direction, support play, kicks,angry ants telling gorillas what to do and exactly fucking when I say to do it...great stuff. It was like we simply had omitted the halfback role for years and years and some generic roustabout role as a link between the left and right sides. SOS got me excited that we had a little general again.

I'm thinking it won't be Dearden in the future but O'Sullivan. We looked reasonable with Dearden but SOS made me realise halfbacks play rugby league too! Zippy runs, control, direction, support play, kicks,angry ants telling gorillas what to do and exactly fucking when I say to do it...great stuff. It was like we simply had omitted the halfback role for years and years and some generic roustabout role as a link between the left and right sides. SOS got me excited that we had a little general again.
Pity he was injured so soon. Tom still might have a fight on his hands.

Surely this is only a stop gap for the year.. but in a way I prefer Boyd in the front line as it forces him to make an effort rather than just plodding along at fullback where he can just “fall over”

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.