NEWS Broncos coach insists Milford best at No 1.

I'm thinking it won't be Dearden in the future but O'Sullivan. We looked reasonable with Dearden but SOS made me realise halfbacks play rugby league too! Zippy runs, control, direction, support play, kicks,angry ants telling gorillas what to do and exactly fucking when I say to do it...great stuff. It was like we simply had omitted the halfback role for years and years and some generic roustabout role as a link between the left and right sides. SOS got me excited that we had a little general again.
No doubt that SOS was impressive in that game against sharks... also nothing that he was one of the few pushing up hard against eels as well, but I'm still on the fence about his long term future as a full fledged NRL halfback.

In the sharks he made a lot of half breaks but I can't recall him making a clean break with his speed or a break with his strength. Also his long kicking wasn't quite as long or penetrating as the top halves. That suggests he may not have the physical attributes to perform in the NRL... yet. He's kind of a Jack of all trades but master of none and would be handy as a second half to a top tier half like DCE.

Dearden to me is a bit like a Ben Hunt lite... he has shown a tendency to hit the line and used his strength to bust tackles. His defence is also strong. He looks more traditional at halfback with the ball in his hands actually asking some questions of the defensive line compared to Hunt though... probably like Hunt was in 2014/15. Current Hunt doesn't want to go anywhere near the line it seems.

Dearden doesn't seem to have the same speed as Hunt though and I'm yet to be convinced of his kicking game.

I'm interested to see Dearden at the back end of the year because he just started increasing his role before getting injured so I don't think he's had a chance to play with any sort of responsibility at this stage.

SOS and deardon are difficult to compare at the moment as they were asked to play different roles.

Deardon was their to support milf and probably given instructions to keep it simple. Just make your tackles, organise your side and kick when you are needed.

However SOS really came in when milf was out and asked to do a lot more.

The right side defence seemed more secure with deardon on it but it is hard to put in down to him given how much we have had to chop and change.

SOS did seem the more confident giving direction so even if he takes the lead, deardon is only 18 and still has a lot of maturing and learning to do.

Unless we go into the market, i would not be upset with deardon and SOS (or paix) at 7 and 6. As they are not demanding 1 mil, it could allow them to develop a halve combination together long term which is rarely seen these days.

Last edited:
I have not analysed either player but to me SOS looks like a halfback the manner in which he is applying himself.

The one thing I noticed last week is Boyd can read the game very well, in that he generally knows when to rush someone and shut down the play. I think that’s where his wing play has been helpful. Credit where it’s due, he did make some crucial tackles or first contacts.

But you just cannot have someone at 5/8th that will only tackle

The one thing I noticed last week is Boyd can read the game very well, in that he generally knows when to rush someone and shut down the play. I think that’s where his wing play has been helpful. Credit where it’s due, he did make some crucial tackles or first contacts.

Credit to him, he does read the game and opposition attacking structures pretty well and is a good talker. This is why WB moved him to left centre for a few games last year when our left side (milf, kahu and oates) was leaking points.

When our halves are fit, i think the centre position may be likely for him. But when bird is fit, who knows.

Maybe we put an extra 10kg on him and turn him into a lock second row super sub like Hancock haha :noooice:

Credit to him, he does read the game and opposition attacking structures pretty well and is a good talker. This is why WB moved him to left centre for a few games last year when our left side (milf, kahu and oates) was leaking points.

When our halves are fit, i think the centre position may be likely for him. But when bird is fit, who knows.
To whom do you refer?

At a time when you want Boyd to follow his chum WB, he doesnt. FML

At a time when you want Boyd to follow his chum WB, he doesnt. FML

That’s because Wayne got him that magical contract at the broncos. Who knows, once that’s up and Boyd wants to keep playing Wayne might find him a spot at Souths

I’ll openly admit I was one of the people on here over the last few seasons shutting down anyone suggesting Milford should move back to fullback. I’m sure if you go back through those posts I was even condescending about it at times. But I was definitely wrong.

Milford looks to be loving playing fullback and he is far grittier than I expected. He’s running hard and looks troubling every time he touches the ball. He had one great aggressive leaping take against the titans that really showed me how wrong I was. Milf is starting to look like the superstar we all knew he was.

I’ll openly admit I was one of the people on here over the last few seasons shutting down anyone suggesting Milford should move back to fullback. I’m sure if you go back through those posts I was even condescending about it at times. But I was definitely wrong.

Milford looks to be loving playing fullback and he is far grittier than I expected. He’s running hard and looks troubling every time he touches the ball. He had one great aggressive leaping take against the titans that really showed me how wrong I was. Milf is starting to look like the superstar we all knew he was.

A lot of us felt the same but it was largely due to the fact that Wayne probably would have never moved Milford to fullback especially while Darius was there.

The thing I loved most was that Milf almost stopped both Titans tries, he was frantically trying to hold those players up long enough until help arrived and he did a fantastic job in doing so, he was millimeters from getting it done on both tries.

Same here mate, the extra space he's getting at the back is letting him utilize his skills more. I still believe he could be a great 5/8th if we played deeper, but am happy to leave him at the back.

The thing I loved most was that Milf almost stopped both Titans tries, he was frantically trying to hold those players up long enough until help arrived and he did a fantastic job in doing so, he was millimeters from getting it done on both tries.

Personally I think he did stop Don but because the decision went up as try, they had no choice but to give it.

I think Don was short.

Personally I think he did stop Don but because the decision went up as try, they had no choice but to give it.

I think Don was short.

Yep I won't disagree with that, I thought he stopped him too but it was given a try unfortunately. Was a fantastic effort from Milf.

I'm enjoying it.

I think he's already lost a bit of weight too? Once (hopefully not if) he gets fully match for for the position he has the potential to be better than someone like Tedesco.

He needs to work on his support play a bit more but I really think that's more a fitness thing than a game awareness thing so it'll come with time.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.