Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

Re: NRL Player Movements and Rumours 2016

Post the article with the link.

I assume it's the Matt Gillett story. Can anyone else post it up?

Yep 2 mins i opened and read now i cant reopen it.

Here is the story.

Broncos face battle to keep Maroons forward Matt Gillett

BRONCOS chief executive Paul White admits the club faces a battle to retain in-form Maroons forward Matt Gillett, who is among the top five talents on the open market.

Gillett has played 12 games for Queensland and one Test for Australia has started the season on fire, perfect timing for a player whose contract ends this season.

With Cooper Cronk set to re-sign with Melbourne, Gillett and Cowboys prop James Tamou are the best established representative players on the open market.

It is a relatively soft year for off-contract players and Sydney clubs have already contacted Gillett’s management.

White admitted ahead of their grand final replay with North Queensland that rival clubs would be chasing Gillett whose value has rocketed upwards since he last signed a deal in 2013.

“He has started the year great and we will work really hard with Matt and his management to see if we can keep him at the club,” White said.

“There are no shortage of suitors for players at our club and Matt will have those same opportunities as well but we hope to keep him.

“It is a constant challenge. Anyone who follows professional sport knows that contracts are always in balance.

“I had the privilege of coaching Matt as a 17-year-old, he played on the wing for me in a Brisbane under-17 team and had peroxided hair at the time.

“He’s been a part of this club for a long time and is very popular with the players and members.”

The Broncos are also trying to re-sign captain Corey Parker, who will not play against Brisbane, interchange utility Kodi Nikorima as well as a host of younger players

Yeah I think you're allowed to read one a week then you get the old subscribe message with the courier mail and daily telegraph. Most other newspapers I think it's unlimited.

Anyway this is where Corey Parker comes into it. Knowing we have signed Timu and Tevita Pangai Junior. Id say Parker maybe in his last year.

Great minds Unbreakable.

No worries Dan. Just be mindful in the future that if you come across the article to either post the entire thing up or even just the vital info. That way it can be convenient for everyone.

So knowing this with Gillett. Does anyone think that the situation Re Kodi, Parker, Macca is because of this?
Kodi getting more hooking minutes, Parker coming off for Macca to play more minutes at lock.

We also have Timu and Tevita Pangai jnr to replace him. It would make more sense to retire Parker than to lose Gillo. Age wise. Especially with also Sammy not too far off either.

Anyway this is where Corey Parker comes into it. Knowing we have signed Timu and Tevita Pangai Junior. Id say Parker maybe in his last year.
Yes mate, we know you think Parker is almost done. You've only mentioned it 15 times.

Sorry mate sometimes its because of business. The way the cookie crumbles. Well look at it like this. If we lose Gillett this year. Parker then retires next year . Then Thaiday in 2018. We then lose a lot of experience in the back row in quick succession. Do you not see this? Wouldnt it be better to lose Parker a year early? And put in 1 player like Timu or TPJ on the bench next year.
I have a business brain. I dont get all too attached to names. I love the boys. My favourite hung up his boots a yr early last year. We have lost a lot from him but i know the show must go on.

Last edited:

So knowing this with Gillett. Does anyone think that the situation Re Kodi, Parker, Macca is because of this?
Kodi getting more hooking minutes, Parker coming off for Macca to play more minutes at lock.

We also have Timu and Tevita Pangai jnr to replace him. It would make more sense to retire Parker than to lose Gillo. Age wise. Especially with also Sammy not too far off either.

Nope. Not concerned in the slightest.

We will hold on to Gillett unless he gets an offer that he cant say no to and im talking excess of a mill a year. Parker not being too far off retirement will secure his position. Bennett will find money for him. What plays into our favour is that we are currently in the premiership window so he will be keen to get a title or join another title contender rather than a club rebuilding. And most title contenders won exactly have a truck load of cash to pay a second rower.

Kodi on the other hand we will struggle to retain especially if he wants a starting spot in the team. He will never displace Hunt, Milford or Macca out of their positions so if he wants to start he might move to another club. If a club comes along with a decent offer I think he will take it and go like his brother did.

Sorry mate sometimes its because of business. The way the cookie crumbles. Well look at it like this. If we lose Gillett this year. Parker then retires next year . Then Thaiday in 2018. We then lose a lot of experience in the back row in quick succession. Do you not see this? Wouldnt it be better to lose Parker a year early? And put in 1 player like Timu or TPJ on the bench next year.
I have a business brain. I dont get all too attached to names. I love the boys. My favourite hung up his boots a yr early last year. We have lost a lot from him but i know the show must go on.

You lost me when you said you have a business brain Daniel lol

I think gillo stays too but parker retires if we win premiership this year?

Well yes hes only looking at a 1 year extension for next season being his last. But what im saying is that for the teams sake he will finish a year early to be able to keep Gillett and others.
You know Tevita Pangai Junior is on top 25 money for this and next season. It will be someone like him who comes onto the bench for him.

Players off contract in the 17 this year are Parker, Gillett, Wallace and Kodi
Next season i know Macca is.

Another thing is the 2018 major cap raise. We will back end some contracts into those years from now on. Ie you will probably hear about the Milford one shortly.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Allo
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • eggstar10
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • kiwibronco
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • ezpz
  • RodF
  • Redux
  • broncs30
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.