Broncos could struggle to keep Gillett

Transition Oates into the centers eventually. Even if Gillett goes, there are still Ese'ese, Timu, TPJ, Hipgrave, Arrow, et al waiting in the second row. Oates could be a devastating center!
Yes, I called for Oates into the centres back in 2014 when Griffindor had him getting bashed senseless in the forwards. I kept saying he would be Gene Miles like and is easily fast enough although I'm uncertain if he could move sideways with dexterity.

If we have to lose a backrower then I'd rather it be Glenn. Ideally we keep both and somehow convince Parker to take a pay cut for the good of the team (if he decides to go around again).

if we lose anyone i would rather it was Thaiday, there's no way we should've resigned him if it meant losing Gillett.

I don't think Brisbane have ever recruited a first grade winger from another club that was really good

Joe Kilroy and Tony Currie. Kilroy won two comps and Currie played for Queensland on the wing before joining the Broncos.

Joe Kilroy and Tony Currie. Kilroy won two comps and Currie played for Queensland on the wing before joining the Broncos.

Currie played more games at fullback (14) than he did on the wing (10).

I'd class him as a centre, he played there 46 times during his NSWRL career including 19 games for Canterbury the year they won the comp.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...o/news-story/856496890957ffc0f672cf9f7764228d

BRONCOS stars have appealed for Wayne Bennett to keep Matt Gillett and Kodi Nikorima as it emerged the off-contract duo have been shopped to the Dragons.

The in-form Gillett and supersub Nikorima have a chance to increase their bargaining power when they confront the Dragons on Thursday night at Suncorp Stadium.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Gillett will have to sacrifice $200,000 to stay at the Broncos, while Nikorima is testing his value on the open market after his sizzling solo try against the Titans last week.

The Dragons are one NRL rival desperate for firepower. The joint venture club has the worst attack in the league after five rounds, having scored just 40 points, and would relish the offensive punch offered by Gillett and Nikorima.

The Broncos are battling salary cap pressures as they look to broker an extension for skipper Corey Parker and if Gillett opts to stay, there is a fear the club could lose Nikorima.

Coach Bennett has privately spoken to Gillett and Nikorima about their futures at the club. Broncos fullback Darius Boyd won a title alongside Bennett at the Dragons in 2010, but hopes the duo shun the Red V to chase a premiership ring at Red Hill.

“I’m really hoping we can keep them (Gillett and Nikorima),” Boyd said.

“Kodi is our Mr Fixit and he’s not just a fill-in player, he can actually play really well in several positions.

“When Benny Hunt couldn’t play in England (during the World Club Series in February), Kodi scored a few tries and didn’t look out of place at halfback. His try (against the Titans last Friday) was pretty special.

“It looked really sharp, the way he came out and dummied, he has a lot of speed and skill and to score from 30m out, it really lifted the boys. That’s what Kodi does for this team, he’s something special.”

The Broncos remain confident of retaining Gillett, who is settled in Brisbane and reluctant to shift his young family to NSW.

But with several Sydney-based clubs offering $700,000 a season, the Maroons ace has bargaining power as the 27-year-old weighs up the most important contract of his career.

Broncos prop Josh McGuire knocked back more lucrative offers last year to remain at Red Hill and urged Gillett to put potential premierships ahead of pennies.

“Gillo is a massive part of this club and I’d hate to see him leave,” McGuire said. “It’s up to the club to keep him, but we have a great culture going on here and a successful team of blokes.

“It’s always hard to see a good player and friend leave and I wouldn’t begrudge ‘Gillo’ if he wanted an opportunity elsewhere, but you want to keep your best players together. ”

The Broncos named an unchanged squad to the team that beat the Titans 24-16, with Bennett hoping Nikorima can continue his game-breaking brilliance off interchange.

“That’s what we’ve got him there for and that’s what we want him to produce,” Bennett said.

“He can’t do it every week but he is playing with a bit more confidence now than when he started the season. ”

Strange choice of words in the article saying they are being shopped to the Dragons and then saying Brisbane don't want to lose them.

Strange choice of words in the article saying they are being shopped to the Dragons and then saying Brisbane don't want to lose them.

I'm guessing the article meant their managers are shopping them around to see what they can get elsewhere.

Dobbo just said that he spoke to Wayne and Gillett is staying, not as confident on Kodi. I repeat.., Dobbo.

Dobbo just said that he spoke to Wayne and Gillett is staying, not as confident on Kodi. I repeat.., Dobbo.
I suppose if i had to pick one of them, It'd be Gillett.

Parcell would be great if Nik leaves. Who have we got to replace Nik...Scarlett?

If we can't keep both, then keep Gillett every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It will be a shame if we lose Kodi though, but can't blame him for going elsewhere if he doesn't want to be a supersub indefinitely.

****, Roosters must have him signed already.

We need to keep Gillett. He'll be our most experienced forward once Thaiday and Parker retire and I can't see him leaving.

Kodi is a luxury at supersub and it's hard to blame him if he wants to move elsewhere to get into a serious playmaking role as either starting halfback or hooker, which is unlikely at the Broncs. I'd imagine McCullough would just go back to playing 80.

Parcell would be great if Nik leaves. Who have we got to replace Nik...Scarlett?

Just play another forward. I think the new interchange rules are going to eventually kill a backup hooker on the bench and force all hookers to go 80 minutes.

pheww..

cant agree fellas. gillett we can cover (barely) if he wants to chase the money good on him, lets face it no way he gets a better scenario than he has now (bar contract $ value).

KNik on the other hand.. better contract, 1st grade shot, i dont blame him moving on, but who on earth would we replace him with? 4 fwds really? someone tell hunt & milford they have to actually produce for 80 mins without bench relief or macca getting a break from non stop tackling!

but a good coach should manage around that either way i spose

btw off topic but any word on what the article about WBs 'biggest regret' in the CM was?

pheww..

cant agree fellas. gillett we can cover (barely) if he wants to chase the money good on him, lets face it no way he gets a better scenario than he has now (bar contract $ value).

KNik on the other hand.. better contract, 1st grade shot, i dont blame him moving on, but who on earth would we replace him with? 4 fwds really? someone tell hunt & milford they have to actually produce for 80 mins without bench relief or macca getting a break from non stop tackling!

but a good coach should manage around that either way i spose

btw off topic but any word on what the article about WBs 'biggest regret' in the CM was?
Not getting to coach Russell Packer. smacks of pre match mind games.

cheers mate! geez sorry i asked lol.. dont want to pick up that discussion again about how bad his offence was ; )

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Robboi_321
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Tmac
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Mister Wright
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.