Broncos ease Lockyer back into training

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos ease Lockyer back into training
By Steve Ricketts | December 31, 2008 11:00pm
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

THE Broncos have planned a slow and easy approach to Darren Lockyer's 2009 NRL campaign with the veteran skipper excused from next week's pre-season camp at Coffs Harbour.
Instead Lockyer will stay in Brisbane to work with rehabilitation staff on the knee that required a reconstruction in 2007 and forced him out of the 2008 Centenary Test and State of Origin series.

Lockyer finished the season strongly leading Australia in the World Cup and there is no suggestion he has encountered further problems with the knee.

But it is a long season and the Broncos do not want their captain overdoing things in January on his return from a long Christmas break.

Lockyer, who turns 32 in March, is facing his 15th and possibly last season with Brisbane with his contract up for renewal. The Broncos will face a difficult task keeping Lockyer and Test fullback Karmichael Hunt, who is also off contract at the end of 2009.

Hunt has attracted interest from rugby union but has indicated he will stay with league and the Broncos, although the fact he was fined $20,000 by the Broncos for an off-field indiscretion could make him think about a change.

Lockyer, Hunt and new recruit Israel Folau will report for training on Sunday with Hunt and Folau heading to Coffs Harbour where the team will stay at a resort previously home to the Wallabies.

Test centre Justin Hodges has been excused after being given leave of absence until January 25 as he battles personal issues. Hodges is also recovering from a shoulder reconstruction and is having private treatment.

"'Hodgo' rings in every day and is coming along fine," Broncos football manager Peter Nolan said yesterday.

"The Coffs camp is not a torture camp. There will be group sessions on and off the field and we hope it will help identify potential leaders."

The main men all wrapped up in cotton wool. I hope they flog the crap out of the forwards this pre-season.

as long as the bonding doesnt happen at the pubs there.

I'm glad they've decided to do this the smart way this time. Ease him back into it and take no chances where Locky is concerned.

Good move. Locky is a leader, we know he's the business anyway. He's rushed himself back a few times before and it's never ended well. Would be happy to see him play only 15 minutes of a trial before the start of the season TBH.

Don't quote me on it but I'm sure I remember reading an article this time last year about the players going on a similar slog your ass camp and it was about how brave locky was doing it with the boys dispite his still recovering knee etc. Well we all know how his knee went at the start of 08 so maybe a different approach will be good. rest it up and let it heal a bit durring the off season won't hurt.

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.