NEWS Broncos eye Valentine Holmes as saviour of Red Hill after finals bashing

Valentine Holmes' Fullback Stats
SeasonGamesTriesRunsMetresKick ReturnPost-ContactLBLBATATBPTB SpeedOffloadsPassesReceiptsKicksErrorsPenalties
2015​
4​
2​
13​
131.25​
47.25​
41.75​
3​
0​
1​
12​
N/A
1​
3.75​
18​
0.5​
1​
2​
2017​
20​
6​
15.7​
165.95​
81.9​
46.35​
10​
6​
5​
90​
3.72​
13​
8.3​
24.1​
0.5​
26​
3​
2018​
18​
13​
15.833​
177.05​
74.05​
39.05​
22​
7​
8​
72​
3.71​
11​
16.05​
31.5​
0.72​
17​
4​

Last edited:
I'd talk to Ash Taylor. Seriously.
Mind you I would need to sit down with him and assess where he is at, how he's going and find out if he is truly self aware and has a firm grasp of the reality of his current life situation.

If I was satisfied with that I'd see if he wanted to come home and if so I'd then speak with the Titans to see what could be arranged.

Unlike others on here I don't see Taylor as a failure rather I see him as someone who has failed. I believe he has absolutely everything needed in a rugby league skill set sense, perhaps though the strength and wisdom between the ears would have to be gauged and understood.

Dearden can hold his own in the top grade. Strong defensively and of course more than happy to let the senior partner in the halves call the shots when necessary. He needs experience in first grade now, hes moved beyond QLD cup and i cant see how he improves in that level of competition..

After four and a half ISC games, and having not played since start of August you don't think he has anything to fine tune in ISC? I think he has plenty to work on. I watched those four and half games of ISC games in full and he wasn't even the dominating Wynnum half in any of them.

Cronk played 61 games for example before he was ready. I would be shocked if Dearden didn't play ISC next year. It will depend on who comes to the club but Dearden has plenty of work to do with his game and ISC is the perfect place to do that if the NRL halves allow it.

I'm not sure how serious the conversations are between Brisbane and Valentine Holmes, but at the very least there should be an expression of interest. There aren't a lot of players with his level of skill.

Looking at the stats, what pleases me the most is that with every stint he kept getting better. The two stats that interest me the most with fullbacks is passes and receipts. It's one thing to return the ball and crack 150m+ it's another to make a genuine impact on the game. As the stats showed, he doubled his passes in his second full year and if anything his other stats flourished. He didn't bend the line as much or make as many kick returns, but he more than doubled his line-breaks, more than doubled his tries and was kicking more readily.

What was also impressive is that he cracked the 300m+ game twice. In Round 10 2018 against Canberra and again in the first week of the finals against Sydney.

Like Hayne, I doubt he'd be able to make the transition to fullback right away but in 2021 those are the numbers you'd come to expect.

SeasonGamesTriesRunsMetresKick ReturnPost-ContactLBLBATATBPTB SpeedOffloadsPassesReceiptsKicksErrorsPenalties
2015​
4​
2​
13​
131.25​
47.25​
41.75​
3​
0​
1​
12​
N/A
1​
3.75​
18​
2​
1​
2​
2017​
20​
6​
15.7​
165.95​
81.9​
46.35​
10​
6​
5​
90​
3.72​
13​
8.3​
24.1​
0.5​
26​
3​
2018​
18​
13​
15.833​
177.05​
74.05​
39.05​
22​
7​
8​
72​
3.71​
11​
16.05​
31.5​
0.72​
17​
4​

.72 kicks per game. Isn’t your fullback meant to put up like 15 bombs?

Mind you I would need to sit down with him and assess where he is at, how he's going and find out if he is truly self aware and has a firm grasp of the reality of his current life situation.

If I was satisfied with that I'd see if he wanted to come home and if so I'd then speak with the Titans to see what could be arranged.

Unlike others on here I don't see Taylor as a failure rather I see him as someone who has failed. I believe he has absolutely everything needed in a rugby league skill set sense, perhaps though the strength and wisdom between the ears would have to be gauged and understood.

...im not averse on paper to this....just not on the money hes on thanx...

After four and a half ISC games, and having not played since start of August you don't think he has anything to fine tune in ISC? I think he has plenty to work on. I watched those four and half games of ISC games in full and he wasn't even the dominating Wynnum half in any of them.

Cronk played 61 games for example before he was ready. I would be shocked if Dearden didn't play ISC next year. It will depend on who comes to the club but Dearden has plenty of work to do with his game and ISC is the perfect place to do that if the NRL halves allow it.
That's the concern for him though, that we won't have the NRL Halves to allow it. Especially if we aren't prepared to give O'Sullivan a proper opportunity.

Last edited:
If we release Bird, surely we'd have to be close to funding Holmes and Sezer with that money and whatever else we have spare in the cap? Holmes won't be cheap but surely Sezer would be?
[automerge]1568933318[/automerge]

I actually see it the other way around. Decent organising Halfbacks don't always break the bank and its entirely possible to be successful with a good rather than great one (see Canberra 2019).

Genuine game breaking Fullbacks are much harder to come by and can command far more $$$.

I think Foran would be nosebleed expensive and this is for an already ageing guy who is quite injury prone even in a good year.

I think Sezer would come for a fraction of the cost and could realistically achieve a similar result for us.

"Foran-like" not JUST Foran yeh.......so we are clear...:happy:

The fact so many are ready to just hand him the keys confuses the shit out of me.

I don't think Croft has been given a decent shot at the Storm, he has been chopped in and out of the team on the back of a few errors and is under the shadow of Smith who wants to control everything and run the show his way.

It happen to Milf in SOO, Smith still wanted to run everything.

Croft to me looks like he is ready to and confident enough to step up and take on the challenge of leading the team around and be an organising half, but while Smith is there he won't ever be given a fair shot.

*Edit* fixed grammar

Last edited:
"Foran-like" not JUST Foran yeh.......so we are clear...:happy:
I honestly can't see why we would take Foran. He's definitely not cheap and he's got huge downside risk with his injury concerns. He could easily be another Jack Bird situation through no fault of his own.

Sezer has less injury history and is a fraction of the cost and would likely deliver a very similar result.

I also think O'Sullivan would cost less than either of them and he has youth on his side and he's already part of the club and with a proper preseason he could develop into exactly what we're looking for going forward.

I honestly can't see why we would take Foran. He's definitely not cheap and he's got huge downside risk with his injury concerns. He could easily be another Jack Bird situation through no fault of his own.

Sezer has less injury history and is a fraction of the cost and would likely deliver a very similar result.

I also think O'Sullivan would cost less than either of them and he has youth on his side and he's already part of the club and with a proper preseason he could develop into exactly what we're looking for going forward.

....think it proves the fact what we need really isn't available right now...

In my minds eye im trying to visualize the best fit to play behind our forwards, who can set edge runners up, accurate kicking game, take on the line....

Sezer is probably experienced enough, probably the right age and probably the right temperament to make a go of the opportunity with us...? I do recall mentioning him a month or 2 ago as he was seemingly unnecessary at Raiders...but i still regard him as a qualified risk...

But yeh very few worthwhile options...plus dotn discount the mood around the place is still a bit toxic..

...im not averse on paper to this....just not on the money hes on thanx...
Oh absolutely agree. That's my reference to talking with the Tits. If a mutually acceptable deal could be worked out AND we've established that Taylor can be saved then I believe we may get a player who has been forged in the fire. I have always thought he was asked to do too much way too early as a person. I'm not sure if many understand how much of a burden he was asked to carry and the monetary reward he was offered would have been almost irresistible especially for one so young.

Great post mate! Apart from the need to assess where his head is at, I have a slight concern over the shoulder surgeries he has had.

Apart from that I think he has far more ability than some of the other muppets being thrown around, not to mention he is a former Bronco!

I'm not sure how serious the conversations are between Brisbane and Valentine Holmes, but at the very least there should be an expression of interest. There aren't a lot of players with his level of skill.

Looking at the stats, what pleases me the most is that with every stint he kept getting better. The two stats that interest me the most with fullbacks is passes and receipts. It's one thing to return the ball and crack 150m+ it's another to make a genuine impact on the game. As the stats showed, he doubled his passes in his second full year and if anything his other stats flourished. He didn't bend the line as much or make as many kick returns, but he more than doubled his line-breaks, more than doubled his tries and was kicking more readily.

What was also impressive is that he cracked the 300m+ game twice. In Round 10 2018 against Canberra and again in the first week of the finals against Sydney.

Like Hayne, I doubt he'd be able to make the transition to fullback right away but in 2021 those are the numbers you'd come to expect.

I rate Val's passing game. He often picks the right man to hit with the pass and he does at speed. Has a great flick pass aswell. Definitely needs to work on his spiral bombs but 😂😂😂.....nice one goat 👍

2015​
4​
2​
13​
131.25​
47.25​
41.75​
3​
0​
1​
12​
N/A
1​
3.75​
18​
0.5​
1​
2​
2017​
20​
6​
15.7​
165.95​
81.9​
46.35​
10​
6​
5​
90​
3.72​
13​
8.3​
24.1​
0.5​
26​
3​
2018​
18​
13​
15.833​
177.05​
74.05​
39.05​
22​
7​
8​
72​
3.71​
11​
16.05​
31.5​
0.72​
17​
4​
The 2017 form is what have people worried about Val.

I think the start of 2018 he was the fullback as well, but eventually got punted because he was dropping bombs left, right and center (can remember one particular bad afternoon at shark park where he dropped several and may have been hooked midgame). It wasn't until the backend of 2018 that he was basically unstoppable

Last edited:
That's the concern for him though, that we won't have the NRL Halves to allow it. Especially if we aren't prepared to give O'Sullivan a proper opportunity.

O'Sullivan won't play for nearly 12 months. Which doesn't help too much.

Last edited:

Do we have enough control over our feeder teams to give Dearden more responsibility at the lower levels??

If I'm Wynnum I want my team to play a style that gives them success and let the Broncos players fit in around that rather than acting as a development area for the Broncos.

I believe we had issues with redcliffe not playing players where we wanted them (Opa on the wing) and we pulled the pin on them.

Is having players spread across 3-4 reserve teams helping us or hindering us??

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fatboy
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • simplythebest
  • Allo
  • RodF
  • Organix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brotherdu
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.