Broncos groom young African giant

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 66,00.html

LUANGA Andriathe, a 16-year-old Sudanese schoolboy, is being tagged as the new Wendell Sailor.
Andria is on target to become the first African to play in the NRL, with Brisbane nurturing the prodigiously talented refugee.

But officials from rugby league and athletics could be in a tug-of-war for the youngster, who will compete in the javelin event at the Youth Olympics in Sydney.

Broncos football manager Peter Nolan said that Andria reminded him of a one-time Brisbane player who is now based with St George-Illawarra.

"He's like a young Wendell Sailor. That's what attracted us to him," Nolan said.

"We went out and watched him play for his school, St James, in Brisbane. We contracted him at 15 and that's good through to grade 12 at school.

"He's really fast but he's also really good at the endurance end. He's coming along nicely.

"I'd like to keep him on. His work ethic and his attitude to training is second to none."

Andria is already on an elite development contract with the club, which will be reviewed later this year with a view to playing him in the Toyota Cup national under-20 competition.

But athletics officials are also keen on Andria pursuing his love of track and field events.

In winning the Pacific School Games javelin gold medal in December, with a record throw of 71.84m, he put himself in medal contention for the next World Youth Championships in Bressanone, Italy, in July.

It seems he inevitably will be forced to choose between his love for athletics and league, but Andria said he wanted to continuing doing both as long as possible.

"It's too hard for me to decide. I'm still too young. I guess I'll take what comes my way," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"I came to Australia eight years ago and now they're telling me I'll be the first Sudanese boy to make the NRL. When I started playing footy I didn't like it, although I like the physical stuff and I know the rules now so it's not confusing for me any more."

Massively framed at 183cm and 100kg, Andria plays wing or centre in the Brisbane club competition and has represented Queensland Schools even though his reading of the game needs maturing.

But Andria's athletics coach Greg Hallam believes his protege can still make a big name for himself away from the rugby league field.

"He won the Queensland primary schools state cross-country race and he can run 100m in under 11sec," Hallam said.

"He's the most extraordinary athlete you've ever seen.

"At the national all-schools in 2006 he won the long jump and the javelin, was third in the 100m and second over 200m. He's capable of being a great decathlete. And he's achieved what he's done in athletics on only two training days a week.

"If he was two or three inches taller he'd be perfect for the javelin, but boy he's got a rocket-propelled arm."

The Rock said:
"He's like a young Wendell Sailor. That's what attracted us to him"

Yeah yeah yeah, heard it all before.

"He's like a young Darren Lockyer"

"He's like a young Gorden Tallis"

"He's like a young Alfie Langer"

"He's like a young Shane Webcke".....

I dunno if it's just me, but I can never get excited about these young prospects anymore until I see them in action, in the NRL.

I'm quite the same as you tbh. I keep hearing "Great young prospect" blah blah all the other crap.
The only time I care is when they're making their debut and if they're good then.

I just feel sorry for the young blokes who are getting tagged with these claims, I feel especially sorry for the guys who start listening or thinking that they are as these claims describe. But all things aside, to be touted as the next big ...(you pick the name/adjective) must be pressure for some young blokes!

I am probably not as enthusiastic about these types of players as a lot of people would be. But it's really only because of the salary cap. There've been plenty of teams who tried grooming youngsters, only to lose them very early on due to the pressures of the salary cap. And if it won't be them, it'll just be someone else.

0,,6442367,00.jpg

Big Big dude, will take the hype pressure of Gidgeon Mzembe the Zimbabwian (if he's still around) who was going to be the first African in the NRL according to the Broncos last season or the one before.

Hope he simply enjoys school and the ability to play all sports and excel at them all before he finishes school and has to choose one or the other. He's possibly Grade 11 so 2 more years of school then if still good enough will have to make a choice and that won't be easy as the Olympics in 2012 won't be far off the horizon if he is still good enough for that.......good luck to him. Will watch him with interest but at this stage not much hope or hype.

Maybe he will be the first Sudanese to play NRL.
If he does, I guarantee he will be the first player called Andria to play as well.

GCBRONCO said:
"His work ethic and his attitude to training is second to none."

That's the best thing about that article. Often you get these young kids with big raps and they don't know how to work hard because they've never had to.

Other than that, I feel the same way everyone else does - wait and see.

Seen him play before, is a gun at age group level. Time will tell though, I could name 100's of guys who were guns at age group/schoolboy level to go on and play local league.

Unread

Active Now

• sooticus
  • eggstar10
  • broncotville
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • NSW stables
  • davidp
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Morepudding
  • broncs30
  • Hurrijo
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.