Broncos Juniors

P

papabear

NYC Player
Nov 1, 2013
Help me understand how the broncos support their juniors a bit. Because I honestly dont know of the set up.

The Canberra Raiders (through the leagues club) pump a lot of funding through CDJRL basically the local rugby league comp.

They used to pump funding through souths logan but they rightfully pied that, no point developing players who dont really want to hang around.

They also send a lot of players to schools / clubs of not only CRRL but also some of the more local country leagues.

Do the broncos pump money into any junior leagues? If so which ones? Are other clubs supporting junior comps in brisbane like canberra did?

When people refer to a broncos junior, is that just someone playing rugby league in brisbane?

We have a buttload of feeder clubs. I dunno how the funding works. When you lot pulled out of Logan all butthurt over Milf, the Broncos moved straight in and built a new league development centre. Thanks for that.

I think the feeder clubs is more related directly to the NRL team, rather than funding juniors... its a place to park contracted players and keep them playing at a decent level of footy. Not every player in a Broncos feeder is NRL contracted, just a filtering among the teams... Same as Storm with Sunny Coast and Easts, and Cowboys with Mackay Blackhawks and Northern Pride, and Titans use Burleigh and Tweed Seagulls.
Brisbane junior rugby league is run, and I guess funded by QRL South East Division - totally different set up to the Sydney junior comps. I don't think Broncos directly fund the comps but they do have a number of Broncos Development officers spread around the South East stationed at a number of junior clubs to work around that region. Mick Devere, Mick Hancock among others do this role. I think, but not totally sure, they also sponsor/fund Elite schoolboy programs at Wavell High and Marsden High, and sponsor a number of the schoolboy comps.
When they talk Broncos juniors its more a case of kids that Broncos scouts have identified at a young age and brought into their ongoing elite development program rather than the Sydney version of district comps, and SG Ball etc. Again, the Brisbane feeder clubs have Mal Meninga Cup teams with Bronco contracted juniors, but just a filtering among the teams.
Could be wrong, but thats my take on how/what I've seen from my time around the traps over the last 20 or so years of being involved in kids footy.

I think the feeder clubs is more related directly to the NRL team, rather than funding juniors... its a place to park contracted players and keep them playing at a decent level of footy. Not every player in a Broncos feeder is NRL contracted, just a filtering among the teams... Same as Storm with Sunny Coast and Easts, and Cowboys with Mackay Blackhawks and Northern Pride, and Titans use Burleigh and Tweed Seagulls.
Brisbane junior rugby league is run, and I guess funded by QRL South East Division - totally different set up to the Sydney junior comps. I don't think Broncos directly fund the comps but they do have a number of Broncos Development officers spread around the South East stationed at a number of junior clubs to work around that region. Mick Devere, Mick Hancock among others do this role. I think, but not totally sure, they also sponsor/fund Elite schoolboy programs at Wavell High and Marsden High, and sponsor a number of the schoolboy comps.
When they talk Broncos juniors its more a case of kids that Broncos scouts have identified at a young age and brought into their ongoing elite development program rather than the Sydney version of district comps, and SG Ball etc. Again, the Brisbane feeder clubs have Mal Meninga Cup teams with Bronco contracted juniors, but just a filtering among the teams.
Could be wrong, but thats my take on how/what I've seen from my time around the traps over the last 20 or so years of being involved in kids footy.
Thank you for the above post!!

Very insightful.

Broncos have junior development squads in most areas around greater Brisbane with direct affiliation through funding and support for many many Jnr clubs and schools.

Help me understand how the broncos support their juniors a bit. Because I honestly dont know of the set up.

The Canberra Raiders (through the leagues club) pump a lot of funding through CDJRL basically the local rugby league comp.

They used to pump funding through souths logan but they rightfully pied that, no point developing players who dont really want to hang around.

They also send a lot of players to schools / clubs of not only CRRL but also some of the more local country leagues.

Do the broncos pump money into any junior leagues? If so which ones? Are other clubs supporting junior comps in brisbane like canberra did?

When people refer to a broncos junior, is that just someone playing rugby league in brisbane?

Broncos are different to the Sydney clubs. When they say junior they mean he played from under 8 for Bondi United and now plays for the Roosters. It's all boundaries on a map.

Brisbane have always taken a more holistic approach and technically don't have any juniors.

Brisbane have the EPD that was revamped late 2005 with Bunn and Nolan.

Individual development starts at 14. They go to the club's academy at 15 and if they're still in the system at the end of grade 12 graduate to the senior academy.

From there a target of 3 to 4 will enter the NRL squad through the NYC team.

Broncos have scouts and identification in all rural areas. It finds them keeps them at home and then feeds them in when they're ready.

McCullough was 13 at Dalby Devils
Gillett was 15 at Redcliffe
Dodds was 19 at Wynnum
Hunt was 13 at Dingo Primary
McGuire was 17 at Aspley

Spread all over the place through schools and clubs, then they have their feeder arrangements with ISC clubs in key areas all feeding them players and developing players.

Boyd is a pretty good example of how it works.

He played against Tugan in the Under 17 Grand Final in 2004- Tigers were interested and offered him $500 to go to Keebra. He repeated at Currumbin instead.

Cyrill noticed him in 2004 but didn't sign him. Then in 2005 was sure he might be the goods. He asked Rod Patison who he thought the last scholarship he had should go to.

Patison suggested Boyd. $1000 scholarship and boots then got a $20,000 contract for 2006.

Active Now

• YeahNahMate
  • Foordy
  • upthebroncs
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • RolledOates
  • mitch222
  • broncoscope
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • johnny plath
  • kman
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Redfern_1980
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.