PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
Broncos legend and employee Michael Hancock turns up heat on playing squad

• June 18, 2019 11:09am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate Mick giving us a little bit of insight into things. It seems like he sees an issue with player entitlement which people on here have been noticing themselves. Only in time shall we truly know if we are headed in the right direction or not.

I remember during the Superleague era back in 1996 when the Broncos were doing a cleanout of sorts, Willie Carne, Alan Cann, Kerrod Walters and Michael Hancock were all informed that their futures in first grade weren't guaranteed and that they should leave the club if they want to continue playing at that level. Cann and Walters both went to Adelaide Rams, Willie Carne went to Rugby Union.

Michael Hancock on the otherhand approached Bennett and the coaching staff about what it would take to remain playing in first grade at the Broncos and it was made clear he would have to work hard and change the way he played the game, seeing him become an impact player off the bench playing both in the backs and the forwards. He put aside his ego, worked hard and went on to win another 3 premierships. I think if anyone knows about being sent a message for a wakeup call and responding to it in the right fashion it's certainly Hancock.

Last edited:
Some very valid points raised in the article.
There are deeper issues at the club then the squad struggling to get their head around the new coach, new game plan and new structures.
I think there is definitely a sense of entitlement with a lot of these players. They have won nothing.
There is no better time then now to put some player on notice, and drop a few others who have failed to fire this year.

Get him down to training with his angry face on.

It is a shame that we lost our best attacking player in Roberts. He was truly the only player who had game breaking pace.

I hope one of the young guys coming through can come in next year and be a transcendent level attacking player for us, because we need it.

It is a shame that we lost our best attacking player in Roberts. He was truly the only player who had game breaking pace.

I hope one of the young guys coming through can come in next year and be a transcendent level attacking player for us, because we need it.
Personally i am glad Roberts is gone, he typifies what is wrong with the club at the moment .... players not willing to put in and do the hard yards.

Kicks in the arse are needed A.S.A.P !!

It’s a shame we lost the sort of gifts he has, but it isn’t a shame we lost that pea-hearted sook.

We could stand to lose a few more of them too. I’d rather a Kotoni Staggs in the club, a bloke who will roll up his sleeves and have a crack, then a lightning in a bottle type player like Roberts any day of the week.

We would be doing far better with more of the Staggs type and fewer of the Roberts type.

Unfortunately it seems we are stacked with blokes who’d prefer to kick stones when things don’t go their way, rather than knuckle down and work their way out of a problem.

Our squad is missing something, Mr Hancock is quite correct.

Heart.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that for all the stars in our premiership sides there has always been a balance of solid, consistent performers who turn up week in and week out who go about their job and really make the job easier for the bigger name players. You really get the benefit out of them in the tight games where limiting your errors and making sure your defence is tight is even more critical. The bottomline is the balance of the current side is just not where it should be combined with serious issues of attitude, leadership and form.

Roberts has scored slashing tries in South colours even without Walker and Reynolds.
Really dreading the ceiling he will hit once Souths get all hands on deck, with the other speed star Burns terrorising the left edge.

Just to appease the coaches ego, we have traded our most dangerous player for Q cup mediocrity. Double standards if he can't even have an honesty session with the bigger sook wearing the No.1 jersey. That's the "touchy subject" Mick is referring to.

Last edited:
Robert has scored slashing tries in South colours even without Walker and Reynolds.
Really dreading the ceiling he will hit once Souths get all hands on deck, with the other speed star Burns terrorising the left edge.

Just to appease the coaches ego, we have traded our most dangerous player for Q cup mediocrity. Double standards if he can't even have an honesty session with the bigger sook wearing the No.1 jersey. That's the "touchy subject" Mick is referring to.

He's also let in several tries with some of the worst defence I've seen.

Roberts has played 2 games this season for Souths and scored 1 try, not tries and as Battler points in he has continued to be dreadful in defence that have let in several soft tries.

Last edited:
He's also let in several tries with some of the worst defence I've seen.

Kiakau's bust was the only try let through on his edge. The other was off a kick far infield from Roberts. But okay make it two tries if you say so.

Letting Eels centre Josh Hoffman score a double with our back peddling centres to the tune of 38 points mustn't be as worse as Roberts efforts above.

Hes shit admit it
Ive been a big fan since his Titans days, but he has really gone downhill since
Kiakau's bust was the only try let through on his edge. The other was off a kick far infield from Roberts. But okay make it two tries if you say so.

Letting Eels centre Josh Hoffman score a double with our back peddling centres to the tune of 38 points mustn't be as worse as Roberts efforts above.

Roberts has played 2 games this season for Souths and scored 1 try, not tries and as Battler points in he has continued to be dreadful in defence that have let in several soft tries.

My bad should have read try, the 70m break upfield for the try assist was just as impressive in itself. Damn, when was the last time our current back 5 scorched the turf untouched from deep in our 20m to they try line ;-(

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.